User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 05:57 PM   #781
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,338
EXC wheels for sale

These wheels would work for your EXC, but the rear would be a 19" and you probably want an 18". If you e-mail me at: woodyswheelworks@gmail.com, then I can get a quote together for the 21/18 set-up.

Thanks,
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaelicDog
Woody, you have a set of wheels for sale on you site for the KTM 125 to 525, black Excel rims with orange Talon hubs. Will this set up fit the 2008 530 XCRW's?
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #782
Robb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Woody's my new bestest friend ...

A few posts ago, Woody made mention of a HawkGT based project; that one's mine. I've wanted to use wire wheels on a Hawk for a long time now, but never found a vendor I'd trust enough to make them, until I starting seeing Woody's work here, and hearing all the great feedback from his legions of loyal customers.

Anyhow, long story short, Woody was able to modify his Superlight HP2 hub design to my specs, and with the help lots of emails and phone calls, the world's first HawkGT wire wheel set was a reality. They're gorgeous. Haven't got the bike on the road yet, still a couple hundred things to finish up, but the wheels are simply awesome - I'll post pics of the AdventureHawk in a few weeks, when it's roadworthy.

For now, here's the rear, all mounted up:
http://hawkfan4life.com/woody/rearwheelmounted.jpg

and a quick shot from this past week:
http://hawkfan4life.com/woody/mockup1.jpg

The only issue I've got is that I can't find that 0.0005" misalignment he promised me .. .heh .. with the wheels in place, it's dead-nuts centered, despite a few dozen measurements and variables that probably kept him up at night for a while.

The front is a 19", incidentally, rear is 17".

Woody really got behind this project, when a lot of other vendors or craftsmen probably wouldn't have wanted to take the time. Big kudo's for helping make my dream a reality, I owe you some beers

Robb
previous, current, and future WWW customer
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:32 PM   #783
sandmanxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
ok

ref: xmas thread 12/18 rims and what options u have for a 1150 ADV - woody u asked me what I am to do! r is that better not do

in a nutshell:

1150 GSA and make it the best 1150 GSA bombproof for heading south of the Rio Grande to the great unknown: Farkle, farkle, farkle... Which brings me to U ..

It will be my only bike for sometime and wish the wheels to be bombproof and if I can "improve" on off pavement without KILLING road handling then thats what I want! I can always go back to my stock rim for highway long, long, long miles!

But I am an old caver, long dist hiker (2000 miles hikes) and national parks person... So I think u know where I would llike to go! I may even build a small trailer to pull instead of doing the back seat "bicycle tote mod" .. ( the trailer is not meant for the South America stuff - just a trailer and at least it will be eazoer to see me!) ... plus I think it is safer.. not to hijack my own post... but back to 2 and 1150 GSA rims for a true adventurer road and "off road" traveler!

HEEEEEEEEEEELP PLEASE!
sandmanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #784
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's what i'd choose for a great off-road setup,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanxx
ok

ref: xmas thread 12/18 rims and what options u have for a 1150 ADV - woody u asked me what I am to do! r is that better not do

in a nutshell:

1150 GSA and make it the best 1150 GSA bombproof for heading south of the Rio Grande to the great unknown: Farkle, farkle, farkle... Which brings me to U ..

It will be my only bike for sometime and wish the wheels to be bombproof and if I can "improve" on off pavement without KILLING road handling then thats what I want! I can always go back to my stock rim for highway long, long, long miles!

But I am an old caver, long dist hiker (2000 miles hikes) and national parks person... So I think u know where I would llike to go! I may even build a small trailer to pull instead of doing the back seat "bicycle tote mod" .. ( the trailer is not meant for the South America stuff - just a trailer and at least it will be eazoer to see me!) ... plus I think it is safer.. not to hijack my own post... but back to 2 and 1150 GSA rims for a true adventurer road and "off road" traveler!

HEEEEEEEEEEELP PLEASE!
FAWWWWWWWWK,,this is the 3rd time i'm trying to get an answer posted from this ''wireless''laptop,,,,each time a solid page of info got lost in cyberspace due to ''weak signal,,,jeez if i'd build wheels that way,,,,

ok,,,if i can even remeber what i wrote to the old cadaver..oops 'caver''

from an ol geezer that has aR100GS/Pd, R1100GS,,R1200 GS and a pair of KLR-50s to dual sport with,,,,the pre-emptive words these days for me are: 1,,,LIGHTER,,,,i just don't feel like lifting 700 lb adventure wannabe bikes,,
2,,,good-handling ,,,,they have to get the job done where i spend most of my time
3,,, POWERFUL,,they have to carry my gear and cruise down the highway at a steady 85+,,,and pack the punch to plow thru sanddunes and washes

ok i'll dispence with all the stuff i lost and just say the 1200GS platform is the most easily modified to get the above done,,,,

the most basic mod is getting a 21 front wheel on your bike,,,MANDATORY

then an 18 on the rear give ya th optimum setup that fits ,,,vast range of knobbies to chose from,,,race proven set-upused by Mark Albertson and Doug Morrison runner winners at the big SandBlast Rallye race in SC a few months ago:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301724 post 21

ok now you have two basic ways of getting there,,,building a 1.85x21 front and 2.50x18 rear using MONZTER spokes and Superlacing them on to oem hubs,,,for a fairly bulletproof set-up ,,or

getting the new ultimate lightweight strong and BLING SUPERLIGHT II setup
these will take circa 6lbs off your front wheel and 4lbs off your rear in un-sprung weight!!!

you asked ,,,i recommend,,,you choose ,,woody

PS,,Caveat Emptor,,,,this set-up won't KILL road going performance but it will be as good in the dirt as your other setup is on the pavement,,ya CANNOT expect knobbies and 21 wheels to give you the same experience on the pavement,,,mount some dualsport Anakees or even TXC-80s and you'll move right along on the pavement,,,from my own experience and others,,,just DON'T push it in the twisties

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=288592&page=5 post65

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 05:17 PM
Old 04-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #785
sandmanxx
Adventurer

woody

I am starting to lean towards a used 1200 GSA (05 - 06).. then a fixed 3:0 : 1 final drive.. makes the whole 6 gears a little more peppier then the 08 fixed endro trans.. then guess I will be calling u... well lets say at any point I well be calling u... somwtime!

ps: old 1150 simple wiring
1200 GSA many "new options" with a dam electrical engineer who is really a communust - plotting to take down BMW !!!!!

I may jump off a cliff before I can decide on old/new!
Old 04-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #786
rdrdrd1
Shabby

Oddometer: 7
R12GS Wheel Rebuild

Hey Woody: Are there any issues you're aware of in sending wheels to and from Canada to your shop for repair? Any particular shipper to use? I bought a new set of wheels but I'd like the slightly bent ones trued up so I can mount knobbies on them. Don't suppose you do tires also?

Cheers

Robbo
rdrdrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #787
sandmanxx
Adventurer

ok woody

how does going from a 17" to 18" back wheel/rim effect the gearing "handling" of the bike.. menaing if u have an endro gearbox (1200 GSA) and put on an 18" rear - will it take away some of what the low gearing gave??

see where I am headed.. If I get an endro gear box or fix an non endro gearing by putting on an 3:0 : 1 final dirve - then change the back rim???

I hear u when u say the 21/18 will fix the handling of a big bike as the 1200GS (a) in sand/dirt - but does it effect/take back some of the gearing "punch" ?? I don't know if would but - only like answers from people who deal in things like this (u or others)

thanks

1200 GSA - many "new options" with a dam electrical engineer who is really a communuist - plotting to take down BMW !!!!!

I may jump off a cliff before I can decide on old/new!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM   #788
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

no problems S&H to canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrdrd1
Hey Woody: Are there any issues you're aware of in sending wheels to and from Canada to your shop for repair? Any particular shipper to use? I bought a new set of wheels but I'd like the slightly bent ones trued up so I can mount knobbies on them. Don't suppose you do tires also?

Cheers

Robbo
it's a no problem deal,,,we use ups mostly,,,and we just write ''repaired customers wheel and there's no duties on that from what i'm told,,,,

we can straighten/true most anything,,,,,and yes we can send em back mounted and balanced with the tires of your choice

woody
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #789
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

ok my latest suggestions based on 1200GS Adv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmanxx
ok woody

how does going from a 17" to 18" back wheel/rim effect the gearing "handling" of the bike.. menaing if u have an endro gearbox (1200 GSA) and put on an 18" rear - will it take away some of what the low gearing gave??

see where I am headed.. If I get an endro gear box or fix an non endro gearing by putting on an 3:0 : 1 final dirve - then change the back rim???

I hear u when u say the 21/18 will fix the handling of a big bike as the 1200GS (a) in sand/dirt - but does it effect/take back some of the gearing "punch" ?? I don't know if would but - only like answers from people who deal in things like this (u or others)

thanks
yes,,the larger diameter wheel will affect the overall gearing ,,ie making it taller,,,,
the Adventure has a little lower gearing which it sounds like is important to you,,,,the weight issue sounds like its not a bother either,,,,n which case go back to my original suggestion,,,pop a 21'' on the front for the increased/better handling in the dirtand you'll be just fine

if youre cruising around the backroads prudently,,then i'd opt for a tubeless x-laced wheel anodized black to match the rear,,,,,

if you ride really fast then a superlaced aftermaket rim is in order...

if ya want bling and lighter wheels we can build the superlite IIs in 1.85x21 and 4.25x17 or even 3.5x17[less prone to bending than the wider 4.25] and you'll have geat gearing AND handling

woody
Old 05-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #790
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
Bent VFR rim

Woody:

I hit a MAJOR pothole on my VFR that made a real impression on the rear rim. It's holding air fine, and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until I washed it a week or so later. It's balanced with Dyna Beads and has a new ContiRoadAttack on it, and functionally everything seems copasetic.

But I just don't like the looks of it. Could you straighten this out for me, and what's the charge likely to be. The "flat" inside of the rim has a very slight convex bump to it that one can feel, but barely detect by eye.
Attached Images

---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #791
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 627
Second VFR rim picture

A little more perspective.
Attached Images

---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #792
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Out of town until next week

All-

I see that Woody has answered a few inquiries, but just wanted it to be known that we will both be out of town until next week. So if, we don't respond until then, please understand.

That being said, Woody may be able to get to your questions, while he is on the road. Have a great weekend.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #793
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

you bend em we mend em,,,,+/- .007'max

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrysingfeenix
Woody:

I hit a MAJOR pothole on my VFR that made a real impression on the rear rim. It's holding air fine, and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary until I washed it a week or so later. It's balanced with Dyna Beads and has a new ContiRoadAttack on it, and functionally everything seems copasetic.

But I just don't like the looks of it. Could you straighten this out for me, and what's the charge likely to be. The "flat" inside of the rim has a very slight convex bump to it that one can feel, but barely detect by eye.
fix it!!!

something like that should be in the neighborhood of $120+/- $20

FYI,,,,i would also put your VFR on its centerstand,,,sart your engine,,,,put it in first gear and watch your rear wheel too,,,more often than not it too will be bent,,,just less discernible when sitting there but easily detected the second the wheel is spun,,,,,same day several day turn around at most

woody
Old 05-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #794
GCRad1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Bent... worth fixing or new rim?

Hello Woody,

Is this fixable or do you recommend lacing up a new rim?
Either way, how much?

GCRad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:52 PM   #795
claude74
2 Girls, 4 Tities!

Oddometer: 3,056
Woody,
I have a 12GS with the cast wheels and was wondering how much it would run me to have them converted from silver to black? I'm in the springs and could bring you the rims.
Claude
claude74 is offline   Reply With Quote