Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #1201
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
me bad,,,tried agin from a different point of view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Woody, if I built and reconditioned spoked wheels for a living, I probably wouldn't have an adj. spoke torque wrench in my toolbox. Repetition would take of that in the long run. I'll look elsewhere for answers on the majority of questions I asked.

996DL
i redid my reply on post #1202,,,hope it sheds more light ..you can try buchanans they also sell torque wrenches,,the wheel shop,,Pro wheel,,BlackBike,,all masters at it.
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 05-30-2009 at 03:18 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #1202
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,149
Spoke torque wrenchs somewhat like oil threads...

Jeez, how come so many gifted artisans are wound as tight as a watch's hairspring ? All kidding aside, thanks for taking the time to post your opinions and advice !

You've prompted me to find that the precision heads on the adj. torque wrench, can also be interchanged into a simple fixed spoke wrench that Faastco offers as well, I'll order one this coming week so I can have both on hand, before checking these wheels.

Despite the new to me DR being two years old, there's only about 500 miles on it and I'm stripping it for chassis servicing, accessory installs etc... I didn't go overboard with lubing the spokes, just a drop of a Tri-Flo teflon lubricant on top of each nipple to keep future corrosion at bay.

When the 2nd spoke wrench arrives, I'll apply traditional techniques to check true and tension. It's been a long time since I've touched mc wheels, but I've managed to keep my fancy ass mountain bike's wheels in true over the years and I'll find out on my own, whether I like or loathe my adj. spoke torque wrench.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 PM   #1203
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

I'm LOL at the notion of how tight i'm wound,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Jeez, how come so many gifted artisans are wound as tight as a watch's hairspring ? All kidding aside, thanks for taking the time to post your opinions and advice !

You've prompted me to find that the precision heads on the adj. torque wrench, can also be interchanged into a simple fixed spoke wrench that Faastco offers as well, I'll order one this coming week so I can have both on hand, before checking these wheels.

Despite the new to me DR being two years old, there's only about 500 miles on it and I'm stripping it for chassis servicing, accessory installs etc... I didn't go overboard with lubing the spokes, just a drop of a Tri-Flo teflon lubricant on top of each nipple to keep future corrosion at bay.

When the 2nd spoke wrench arrives, I'll apply traditional techniques to check true and tension. It's been a long time since I've touched mc wheels, but I've managed to keep my fancy ass mountain bike's wheels in true over the years and I'll find out on my own, whether I like or loathe my adj. spoke torque wrench.

996DL
the truth 996DL is this ol soul wants to help ya,,,and it seems the same ol questions keep cropping back up and they've been answered at least a half dozen times,,and we only have so many hours and minutes in a lifetime...

the trick of course is doing a search of this site using google. It can access everything here easier and accurately,,,and the questions you raised aren't simple yes or no answers ,,,and it took me an hour to henpeck and correct my initial attempt at trying to laugh the situation i#m in off....and i could tell you were hungry to learn,,,,and i won't give up til the light goes on...

here's what Krishnamurti would be saying now,,,'THINK ON THESE THINGS!'

1,how accurate a reading can you expect....if there is dirt/corrosion/dust on your spoke and nipple threads??
2,,how far did capillary action get up each of the 36 threads??
3,,how much will any or any combination of these elements affect my torque readig??
4,,what will the length of the spokes do to their their sound??? or their position as inners or outers???
5,, do i know the COF of triflo and how to correct the MFG suggested torque reading???,,,are you aware some lubes are so slick that you can tighten the nipple and stretch your spoke thinking you are in the safe zone of the recommended reading ..folks here on this forum have snapped their 10/12mm lug bolts using anti-seize on their threads
11,,is my spoke wrench properly calibrated
12,, after torquing each spoke to the correct reading,,,do my spokes all sound the same?? if not why not??
13,, what are the cause and effects of using the different versions of spoke wrench??,,are they clumsy or elegant to handle??? to read ???
14 those are a few starters....

OBTW..the beer here in Germany is pretty tasty,,,it got that way thru trial and error and paying alot of attention to the variables and how to eventually create the proper sequences repeatedly...same goes with wheel truing,
it's some ungodly hour over here,,,and we drank and danced real long and hard at my cousins retirement party.....

now get in there and turn those nipples..we want a progress report,,
woody
Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 PM   #1204
sama3033
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Front shimmy

Hey Woody

I recently had my local guy change my tyres and he buggered up the front tho' he won't admit it. I have a mild tank slapper now. As he won't fix it is there a way I can at least zero it out so that I can repair the shimmy? There is a noticeable side to side movement when viewed from the front. I've actually improved it somewhat but I'm afraid of over torquing.

The various threads I've read on the subject seem to leave out some very pertinent info.

What happens if you loosen ALL the spokes and start from scratch? Is this even wise?

I'm looking to be as self-sufficient as I can as I'm planning a couple of serious trips in the near future hence the inquiry.

thanks in advance

SM
sama3033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #1205
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

all you wanna be wheel truers,,now hear this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sama3033
Hey Woody

I recently had my local guy change my tyres and he buggered up the front tho' he won't admit it. I have a mild tank slapper now. As he won't fix it is there a way I can at least zero it out so that I can repair the shimmy? There is a noticeable side to side movement when viewed from the front. I've actually improved it somewhat but I'm afraid of over torquing.

The various threads I've read on the subject seem to leave out some very pertinent info.

What happens if you loosen ALL the spokes and start from scratch? Is this even wise?

I'm looking to be as self-sufficient as I can as I'm planning a couple of serious trips in the near future hence the inquiry.

thanks in advance

SM
1 ,,go to google and google wheel lacing,wheel truing,, advrider.com wheel truing and you'll come up with long and short versions of the art,,,

2,, go to the previous few posts and alot more secrets got shared of much overlooked things we do that may be good or bad if we do not understand the consequences of what /why we are doing it,

3,,we sometimes loosen all of the nipples to clean lubricate the threads,,,especially after someone has been tinkering with them,,main reason is to find the ones that havebeen overtightened an d/or are still dragging and turning stifflydue to corrosion etc

4,,do a guided meditation to get you to visualize just what you ARE DOING when you adjust this or that nipple and why you chose this or that one,,remeber 'cause n effect'

5,,i'd worry more about having any oose spokes,,they cause themost problems,,,practice,,practice and notice the effect of what you just did,,,try to getem as close to a business card's thicknes out of tolerance and your shimmy will go away for sure UNLES the tire didn't seat properly on your rim or yourtire has beeen mismolded,,,shit happens ya know

6,,FYI i never went to lace n true schoolor any factory school myself,,,however i had a darn good education in math,geometry,trigonometry and basic physics if you understand the principles behind the simple geometry of the rim the spokes and the hub,,you'll get that AHA!! real quick

woody

PS of course,,there are folks out there that do this for a living
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #1206
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Warthog's suggestion...to the lacing and truing discusion

wheel building

reading your thread lately...I thought of this as a resource for some readers

The Bicycle Wheel
http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Wheel-...485774-9311043

a classic Tome on wheel building, maintenance, function and physics - I guess most of the basic concepts would apply to motorbike wheels

My wheels are doing well.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:02 AM   #1207
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Question

For a 12GSA 08, is it possible to use the front wheel hub to make a 21" tubeless ?
I'm asking but I've the idea the orientation of the spokes from the hub won't match with the rim's holes....
(I've a spare FW hub, hence my asking)
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #1208
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

YOU CAN USE OEM R1200 GS/GSA hub to build any size tubeless X-laced wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
For a 12GSA 08, is it possible to use the front wheel hub to make a 21" tubeless ?
I'm asking but I've the idea the orientation of the spokes from the hub won't match with the rim's holes....
(I've a spare FW hub, hence my asking)
FYI,,the oem hub can be used with an oem 21'' rim from a R100GS/PD and optimally the ss spokes from an HP2 to build a strong tubeless front wheel,,we havethe parts in stock including black anodized rims send your hub plus circa $1k with all new stuf alittle less if we have good used stuff

several day turn around time,,OBTW the gold HP2 rims are not available have a few of those too...

holler
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 05:13 PM
Old 06-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #1209
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
FYI,,the oem hub can be used with an oem 21'' rim from a R100GS/PD and optimally the ss spokes from an HP2 to build a strong tubeless front wheel,,we havethe parts in stock including black anodized rims send your hub plus circa $1k with all new stuf alittle less if we have good used stuff
several day turn around time,,OBTW the gold HP2 rims are not available have a few of those too...
holler
woody
Doh! My bad.
I just re read my question !!!
I was not thinking straight, sorry.

What I wished to ask was:
Quote:
For a 12GSA 08, is it possible to use the bmw front wheel hub to make a 21" with tube ?
hence my comment
"I'm asking but I've the idea the orientation of the spokes from the hub won't match with the rim's holes...."
Because I guess that for a tube rim, the holes will be in the middle, not on the edges like the oem rim.
And I'm more interested in a tube version because you said it's best to have one 21" with tubes. (cf GalacticGS setup)

Sorry for the mess. And I wasn't even drunk.....
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 05:22 PM   #1210
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

[quote=kktos]Doh! My bad.
I just re read my question !!!
I was not thinking straight, sorry.

What I wished to ask was:What I wished to ask was:

Quote:
For a 12GSA 08, is it possible to use the bmw front wheel hub to make a 21" with tube ?

FYI,,,we have the perfect solution to relace ANY BMW OEM X-laced hub to most any standard style rim you want by using my trick MONZTER spoke kits,,impressively strong and durable and stunning

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 06-05-2009 at 05:44 PM
Old 06-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #1211
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Wheels and Forks??

Woody my son recently wrecked my 03 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, bending the front wheel and one fork shaft. If the 21" front wheel cannot be saved I would like to replace it with an 18". I don't know about the fork yet but I hope that I can dissasemble it to ship it to you for straightening. Please provide your opinion on my options.
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #1212
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,555
just wanted to say thanks for the awesome front rim you laced for me. Here is a pic of it right after doing a tube change on the road

johnwesley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #1213
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Kawasaki sherpa 18'' front rim swap and fork straightening

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun
Woody my son recently wrecked my 03 Kawasaki Super Sherpa, bending the front wheel and one fork shaft. If the 21" front wheel cannot be saved I would like to replace it with an 18". I don't know about the fork yet but I hope that I can dissasemble it to ship it to you for straightening. Please provide your opinion on my options.
bring em on we can handle both,,,I'd send the forks complete,,and if the fork got bent bad,,invariably the lower triple clamp will also be bent 90% of the time....i'm speaking from having done hundreds of front end repairs,,,

send triple clamp complete with all the pinch bolts in place,,,forks complete too,,we check everything for free and give estimate of repair before we start ,,OBTW axle too..

regarding front wheel it's your call,,if it's repairable we can and if not we'll upgrade new/used ,,whatever,,, typical repair

axle $5-15
wheel straigten/true $70-125
fork straighten $50ea
triple clamp /crown$60-100
relace n true $80-99 depending on superlace or not
spokes $60-110 low-top of the line
rim $80-160 '' ''

,,woody
Old 06-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #1214
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Thanks

I will begin dis assembly tomorrow. Hopefully will have ready to ship by mid-week. Thank you for your time.
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:18 PM   #1215
bluezer
Bama Andy

Oddometer: 41
bmw 90/6 w/snow flakes ?

Woody,
Have heard great things about your work. Kinda tire kickin' as I'm currently broke from the bike purchase but just picked up a R90/6 with snowflakes mounted. I'd love to have you build a pair of black rim stainless rims and wondered if you could give me a ballpark figure. Would you need a pair of donor hubs? Any intrest in the snowflakes? appear to be in good condition.
Thanks,
Andy
Feel free to e-mail @ aaabluezer@yahoo.com