Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #1276
ducky950
Gnarly Water Fowl

Oddometer: 1,642
Ducati Multistrada spoke wheels

Woody,

Ever done or thought about doing a 19"/17" spoke wheel conversion for the ducati multistrada? I know the front is probably pretty easy, but the rear wheel would take some engineering with the single sided swingarm.....
Old 08-27-2009, 06:13 AM   #1277
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,551
DL-650 update?

I've got a tweaked front wheel on my DL650ABS and I'm thinking I may be better off with a tubeless spoked wheel. I skimmed this thread and didn't see anything about you having a hub available yet.

Is a spoked wheel a possibly yet?

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #1278
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,327
sourcing 2.5x19 Excel rims for KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
Hey Woody - re the 19" x 2.5" Excel rims - is there only ONE model or style from excel which will fit a ktm front hub? Am looking at sourcing one myself
overlandr,,,there are no predrilled Excel rims for the KTM lace pattern that i know of,,,we custom order some from Buchanans and modify others depending on how close the angles/ hole sizes etc are for the lace patterns etc that we are using.....we have the equipment, knowledge and data to do the modifying.

perhaps someone with similar skills is in your neck of the woods.. hope this answers your query.

OBTW KTM has 2 different indexing schemes so you need to know if your hub uses euro or jap indexing as well as the lace pattern you intend to use

we also have the ability to change the indexing by adding or subtracting one x on the lace pattern. we've done several for ktm owners who bought rims with jap indexing ,,,we solved their problem with adding an extra x ie from x2 to x3 on the brake side ,,,essentially a partial Superlace.

we chose the disc side for the added strength an consequently re-angled/chamfered the holes for the x3 pattern....VOILA problem solved.
woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 04:01 AM
woody's wheel works is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #1279
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

tweaked DL650ABS fornt wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
I've got a tweaked front wheel on my DL650ABS and I'm thinking I may be better off with a tubeless spoked wheel. I skimmed this thread and didn't see anything about you having a hub available yet.

Is a spoked wheel a possibly yet?
hi,,,first off if it comes to straightening most any tweaked wheel you've come to the right place,,

secondly once i see that wheel i'll be able to see what we can do to replicate a wire version of it....

if you post a pic or two ,i can give ya a rough estimate of what it would take to repair it

woody
Old 08-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #1280
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

19/17 wire wheels for Ducati Multistarda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky950
Woody,

Ever done or thought about doing a 19"/17" spoke wheel conversion for the ducati multistrada? I know the front is probably pretty easy, but the rear wheel would take some engineering with the single sided swingarm.....
ducky950,,,,we've done so many trick conversions,,why not a ducati multistrada,,,you know what they say...with my time and your dime we can accomplish miracles,,,

ok,,,FYI recently i did a set of wheels for one of the faithful he was converting a 650 honda Vtwin to a dual-sport set up..believe it or not we modified a Superlite hub for the R1200GS rear and dialed it in to work on his single sided swingarm.

he sent in fairly accurate drawings and photos so we could get the offset right as well as having the centerline of rim and bike jive correctly,,it was a bit pricey circa $2500 for the rear..However it was tough/durable /and aesthetically gorgeous...OBTW and it worked

holler and send pics /measurements..i happen to have made 2 of those hubs so with some luck we may have a good starting platform

woody
Old 08-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #1281
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

2002 F650 BMW Dakar 19 to 21 rim swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
I have a 2002 F650 Dakar I just picked up, one of the previous owners swapped a 19" wheel up front. everything else is Dakar...

I have been wondering first if I will gain anything by swapping back to a 21 inch wheel.

and second how is the budget way to do it.. The wheel is 36 spokes like a Yama YZ250 so I figure that might be one available used option. What would be a solution for the spokes..

ZThanks for any info

kelly
hi kelly,,,

first i need to know what your main intent is for this bike 19'' rim works better on the highway/pavement/twisties whereas the 21'' excels in the dirt/single track /rough stuff

that will offer you an answer in and of itself.

if you tend to do more offroading /dirt riding convertin gto a 21' is fairly easy for us ,,,just send in wheel and we'll lace n true whatever you want..that willmeet your needs...we have low budget solutions,,good take-off oem spokes n nipples/rims...or you can yupgrade to stronger prettier spoke/rims /lace techniques circa $250 -400 from lo to high

woody
Old 08-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #1282
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

bent rim solutions for XR650R honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicXRer
Hello Woody:

Well it finally happened....hit a good sized rock with my front tire...came home to see my rim dented...2005 XR650R stock D.I.D 1.6x21 rim. What approach should I take (bend back, straighten, etc)? If I take a pic of the dent so that you could judge the severity, then can you say to send it in to fix or just buy a new rim? Thanks.

AtomicXrer,,,,send it in ,,if it's straightenable we'll use that technique circa $100,,,otherwise we can install anew or good take off depending on your budget,,,or upgrade to stronger rim/ lace pattern/Superlace/ spokes etc for a far more durable set-up

holler when you are ready,,we'll call you after we see it to discuss options

woody
Old 08-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #1283
AtomicXRer
Chile Eater

Oddometer: 3,989
Ok, I think I will. I will go ahead and set it up to get it to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
AtomicXrer,,,,send it in ,,if it's straightenable we'll use that technique circa $100,,,otherwise we can install anew or good take off depending on your budget,,,or upgrade to stronger rim/ lace pattern/Superlace/ spokes etc for a far more durable set-up

holler when you are ready,,we'll call you after we see it to discuss options

woody
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 PM   #1284
TheBigMuff
UNFKNBLVBL

Oddometer: 52
1987 R80g/s wheel offset 10mm+?

Hi Woody

My Schek has a 50mm shaft extension and so uses a 4mm spacer to run the standard 4.00/18 tkc on it now. Would like to run 130/80/18 and lose the spacer, so I guess I need a 10mm offset?

Interested options and cost to achieve this, including shipping to Sydney. I guess the cheapest option is to re-lace what is there and shorten half the spokes, other end of the scale new rim & large ss spokes etc. No cost best/strongest option?

My model has a 2.5/18 rim but I believe 2.15 and 2.5 rims are available? I assume the skinnier rim would be stronger but perhaps not as good on road? Can you lace the akront tubeless rims to the older hubs? If so is there an 18"rim available for the rear?

Intend doing the front to match the rear so cost of equivalent front 21" options would be appreciated.

If you have any hubs available would be interested in price. PM me if that is most convenient.

The bike is set up for LD dirt touring.

Cheers
Lachlan
Sydney, Australia
'87r80g/s schek
'96 r100pd classic
TheBigMuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:17 PM   #1285
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
overlandr,,,there are no predrilled Excel rims for the KTM lace pattern that i know of,,,we custom order some from Buchanans and modify others depending on how close the angles/ hole sizes etc are for the lace patterns etc that we are using.....we have the equipment, knowledge and data to do the modifying.

perhaps someone with similar skills is in your neck of the woods.. hope this answers your query.

OBTW KTM has 2 different indexing schemes so you need to know if your hub uses euro or jap indexing as well as the lace pattern you intend to use

woody
So Woody, is drilling a bare 19" x WM4 (2.5") rim to match a front ktm hub going to be a big $$ extra on top of a normal wheel build if I got you to do it?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:36 AM   #1286
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
So Woody, is drilling a bare 19" x WM4 (2.5") rim to match a front ktm hub going to be a big $$ extra on top of a normal wheel build if I got you to do it?
we usually charge $20-30 to redrill/re-angle the holes ,,however if we supply the rims it's part of the ''blue-priting process of doing a superlace,,it would also include chamfering the holes for a perfect fit ,,,, ie pre-seat for the nipples

FYI,,we always try and source the best deals on the rims we can find...hence there sometimes is a disparity between what it costs to build similar wheels ,,,because getting what we need for your projects is a rather tortuous path at times. i have over a dozen suppliers of rims....not one has everything we need....we've seen dozens of suppiers finally quit handling rims over the past 35 years...the inventory they need is humongous..

BWOE...Buchanans gets by because they order the rims unpunched,,hence can custom drill/punch a rim up for specific needs..whereas folks like White Brothers,,Tucker-Rocky parts supply house have to order predrilled rims for every specific application,,,and the in 5 colors to boot

and several years ago the most reliable anodizer in california that did all of Excels /buchanans /our anodizing had the rug pulled out from him by Excel and it's been a mess ever since....

OBTW....check post #1281,,,i added a bit more info to it that would be of interest to you.

gotta get back to sleep

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-30-2009 at 04:03 AM
Old 08-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #1287
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

R80GS rear wheel off=set mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMuff
Hi Woody

My Schek has a 50mm shaft extension and so uses a 4mm spacer to run the standard 4.00/18 tkc on it now. Would like to run 130/80/18 and lose the spacer, so I guess I need a 10mm offset?

Interested options and cost to achieve this, including shipping to Sydney. I guess the cheapest option is to re-lace what is there and shorten half the spokes, other end of the scale new rim & large ss spokes etc. No cost best/strongest option?

My model has a 2.5/18 rim but I believe 2.15 and 2.5 rims are available? I assume the skinnier rim would be stronger but perhaps not as good on road? Can you lace the akront tubeless rims to the older hubs? If so is there an 18"rim available for the rear?

Intend doing the front to match the rear so cost of equivalent front 21" options would be appreciated.

If you have any hubs available would be interested in price. PM me if that is most convenient.

The bike is set up for LD dirt touring.

Cheers
Lachlan
Sydney, Australia
'87r80g/s schek
'96 r100pd classic
g'day mate,,,the cheapest way out is to reangle your spoke holes and install a custom ss spoke set with larger nipples ==$99 superlace and circa $100 for spoke n nipples depending on ss or zartan[nickel plated] nipples. you just have to tell me where you want the rim to be centered on your bike so that you hav ethe clearance you need as well as having the end product centered on the centerline of the bike.

FYI,,i believe all the beemers can have the swing-arm adjusted side to side,,,. so in this case let's offset the rim for proper tire clearance for the tire you intend to use and then reset your mono-lever to center the wheel on your bike

i'll sell you new rims whatever color or brand you want,,,circa $300-450 per set.

RE new X-laced/tubeless rims to old hubs won't work...however i'll look if your hubs could be re-drilled to acomodate that,,,Hmnnnnnn

i'll check into the availability of hubs and the S&H,,my memory sez circa $150 for S&H...

later,,,woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 08-31-2009 at 06:05 AM
Old 08-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #1288
zippy-car
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
+1 for Woody's!

just a quick note for Woody's service - my 2001 bonneville rim had a ding in it from the PO and the dealer wanted $450 for JUST the rim. I sent it to Woody's and it was fixed within the hour it arrived, and back on the UPS truck the same day. Well worth it. Thanks again.
zippy-car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 AM   #1289
TheBigMuff
UNFKNBLVBL

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
g'day mate,,, FYI,,i believe all the beemers can have the swingarm adjusted sid eto side. so in this case ,move the swingarm to the right abit for proper tire clearance for your chosen tire and then measure what it takes to get the rim moved over to the left to achieve centering it on your bike
later,,,woody
Thanks Woody I look forward to prices and hub availability. Ref above I think you have it the wrong way around - move monolever swing arm will improve centreline, rim offfset needed for tyre clearance...
cheers
Lachlan
TheBigMuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:09 AM   #1290
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

oops regarding the offset rim/centering rear wheel on R80Gs technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigMuff
Thanks Woody I look forward to prices and hub availability. Ref above I think you have it the wrong way around - move monolever swing arm will improve centreline, rim offfset needed for tyre clearance...
cheers
Lachlan
oops..this is what i meant to say....before the muff got in the way

''FYI,,i believe all the beemers can have the swing-arm adjusted side to side,,,. so in this case let's offset the rim for proper tire clearance for the tire you intend to use and then reset your mono-lever to center the wheel on your bike''

me bad in the weee hours of the morning
woody