ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #1351
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
repaired wheel jitters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport
I know, the answer to this, like all questions is "it depends", but here goes:

I bought an 04 950A last summer, previous owner had bent the front rim and had it straightened. (I think by you, though not sure..) at this point, it runs true, and there's no vibration, if you look carefully you can still see the old wound near the valve stem opening.

I'm curious about how careful with this wheel I need to be. Is a repaired rim generally reliable if the job was done right? Right now the bike sees mostly road use, though some of the roads in Maine could use work.

These are the stock rims, I suspect you'll see them at some point anyway for an upgrade to something stronger before I take on any big adventures.

Thanks,

ER
FYI,,,i have a simple rule of thumb,,,,based on an intense desire to see another day,,hence if after i repaired something ,,,if it doesn't pass the litmus test of me being willing to go riding and racing on my handiwork.. i do not charge and state it is junk/unserviceable....

so if i repaiered it and brought it back to manufacturers specs,,and i sent it out then i wouldn't worry about it...hope it was me who repaired it

as far as ''how carefull you should be",,well ER,,,,you are riding on the notorious 'pretzel' rim,,,i've heard claims that it wilts when people stare too hard,,,,Nah,,,just teasing ,,,,keep it out of chuckholes,,,off of rocks and sharp obstructions you'll be fine,,there are hundreds of riders out there still running on em

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #1352
Yellow Pig
Allergic to Asphalt!
 
Yellow Pig's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Kalifornia
Oddometer: 7,057
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig
F%&k......... Just blew apart my rear XR650R wheel and am leaving for the Swell Thurs PM.

I'll be by in the morning hoping for a quick fix & turn around.

Later Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody's wheel works
ten four,,gotcha back side covered,,over and out
perhaps have an even better one laying around

woody
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

What great service. Dropped the wheel off at 10AM and told Woody I did not need it till Thursday morning.........well at 3:30PM I get a call from Zack saying my wheel was ready to go: trued, Super Laced and all. They even noticed my disk brake was warped, which I had not noticed and straightened it for me.

Now that's what I call service, and the advantage of being local.

Thanks guys!
__________________
So Many Idiots, So Few Comets!!!!!!!!!
Yellow Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 PM   #1353
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 482
Woody and crew-

I am sending in my F650 Dakar wheels in the near future for you to relace with new rims. Do you need all of the axle spacers and cush drive left on to be able to center things, or do I keep them all to prevent them from being lost? What about rotors? You are reusing spokes.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #1354
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
what ya need to send and not send for wheel work

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCoastDakar
Woody and crew-

I am sending in my F650 Dakar wheels in the near future for you to relace with new rims.

Do you need all of the axle spacers and cush drive left on to be able to center things,????
we need none of this for routine work,,,we only need all this when we design a new wheel for you...

or do I keep them all to prevent them from being lost?
exactly!!!!!

What about rotors?
don't need them either unless you have us mount and balance tires too,,,you'll get abetter balance when all rotating masses are present

You are reusing spokes
is that a question or a command???,,if you say so....if you you say please use my old spokes n nipples,,, we will do that if they are seviceable,,we charge $20 to unlace and prep them and $80 to relace n true your wheel...=$100 total

here's where some extra thought may go along way...essentiallly right now you would have the same labor payment as if you had a superlace...the difference being you'd need to pay circa$100 for a custom ss spoke set...our handiwork superlacing your wheel is well known....just something to consider
OBTW...just thought of another factor that i won't know til i see your wheel has to dowith how much rust is present in your nipples..when they are filled with rust,,then i can not do an adequate job of truing because the rust will often jam the nipple,,,then it will eithe rbe anew used nipple set oem circa $40-50..at which point all the math leans in the direction of getting it superlaced...or forgoing unlacing and then just snipping the old stuff out
and installing the aftermarket ss spokes that we offer.,, custom lace n true is just $80....when i see your stuff i'll call ya if there any anomalies..

later
woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #1355
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
OBTW...just thought of another factor that i won't know til i see your wheel has to dowith how much rust is present in your nipples..when they are filled with rust,,then i can not do an adequate job of truing because the rust will often jam the nipple,,,then it will eithe rbe anew used nipple set oem circa $40-50..at which point all the math leans in the direction of getting it superlaced...or forgoing unlacing and then just snipping the old stuff out
and installing the aftermarket ss spokes that we offer.,, custom lace n true is just $80....when i see your stuff i'll call ya if there any anomalies..

later
woody
The 'reuse spokes' wasn't a command. I had spoken to Chris and he suggested possibly reusing my spokes (in good shape) with new, larger nipples. In the end, we will do what is right for a good end result!

Talk to you soon-
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #1356
azgsa
Apathetic
 
azgsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ
Oddometer: 1,335
Dakar rotor

Woody, noticed you straighten rotors on your web site. I just picked up a 2002 Dakar from an inmate in NorCal and rode it home to PHX and the front brake is pulsating like a MOFO. Putting the bike up on the centerstand the rotor seems to be dragging more in one area so I'm guessing it's bent or warped. Can't see any damage. Don't have the means to measure runout. What's the turnaround on straightening?

Thanks
__________________
AARG!
azgsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #1357
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
we can check the rotors for wear /warpage and being bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa
Woody, noticed you straighten rotors on your web site. I just picked up a 2002 Dakar from an inmate in NorCal and rode it home to PHX and the front brake is pulsating like a MOFO. Putting the bike up on the centerstand the rotor seems to be dragging more in one area so I'm guessing it's bent or warped. Can't see any damage. Don't have the means to measure runout. What's the turnaround on straightening?

Thanks
hi,,we can check for all the above,,,bent/warped rotors when left unattended/fixed tend to wear the high spots off... hence getting thinner in those areas....straightening won't cure the pulsing.... only replacing or blanchard-grinding will correct this problem.. on many current thin rotors there is not enough metal to grind off before you have reached the minimum thickness specs of the manufacturer..

there are a few good articles and threads about the other causes of pulsing caused by build-ups on the disc surface,,,,bead or media blasting will often remove them along with de-glazing your brake pads....then a proper break in procedure should get you up and running again...

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 10-14-2009 at 05:32 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #1358
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Woody - can you lace a rim from a 15" wired auto wheel to a MC hub such as a heavy duty hub like those used for flat track racing? I am building a rally racing sidecar similar to Hog Wild's Dakar sidecar. I want to run 15" rally racing tires but don't want to make custom hubs and use custom auto wheels.
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #1359
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LaPorte's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Northern Ca.
Oddometer: 483
f 800 GS rear wheel bearings

Woody

You did work on a f 800 GS and found the disc side bore to tight and found the spacer to long.

(and the distance from bearing seat of disc side to sprocket bearing race at 133.69mm ie .63mm/.025'' clearance ..ie spacer was that much longer..eliminating too short spacer as culprit)

I agree with the bore size being to tight. But isn't the spacer being to long also a problem. Wouldn't that cause outward pressure on the bearing centers after they have be installed and seated?

LaPorte
__________________
If you don't know where your going don't lead!
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #1360
BMacW650
.
 
BMacW650's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Troy Michigan
Oddometer: 739
03 F650 Dakar

Woody,
I'm planning on sending both my hubs in to have you superlace them with some new black excel rims.
Here are a few questions, forgive me if they were asked before. I tried to search the thread but it's just too long.

1. Cost-wise, what would be the difference if I take the old wheel and spokes off myself and send in just the hubs?

2. I know I want 21" front and 18" rear. What are your thoughts in turns of the different rim width? (1.6'' vs 1.85'', 3.0 vs 2.5'', etc.) (stock Dakar wheel sizes are 21"x1.6" and 17"x3.0"). I really want the wheels setup more for off road, however I also do a lot of travelling on highways.

3. My current rear wheel has individual sealed spokes and runs tubeless tire. Because I had success doing this myself, I would like to make the same mods once I get the wheels back from you. Would the new setup take tubeless tires? (I only want to make the rear tubeless)

4. Based on what I described above, what is the rough estimate on cost and turn around time? (I want to send mine in when winter sets in around end of November)

Thanks in advance.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #1361
tactical-T
TreeStump
 
tactical-T's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Almost there
Oddometer: 569
Wow! Not sure how I missed this thread.
Woody, I'm thinking about getting an F800 GS. Because I'm verry lazy I've not read all of the posts. So, if there is already something on here about 17" wheels for the F800 GS please point me in the right direction. From what I have been reading, however, It would seem you'd be able to answer my question. Because I like to have my cake and eat it too, I was wondering if you know of or build a good 17" motard type wheel set for the GS. I would love to have two sets for when I want to DS or scratch in the twisties. What kind of complications might I encounter. What would the approximate cost be.
Thanks for any help.
-T
__________________
2004 BMW R1150R ROCKSTER
2007 Kawasaki KLX140 (da Spawn's),1995 KDX Z00hun
2010 Husqvarna TE450
The more time I spend in this world , the smaller it gets
tactical-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM   #1362
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
F800 GS inner spacer too long????,,,NOT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
Woody

You did work on a f 800 GS and found the disc side bore to tight and found the spacer to long.

(and the distance from bearing seat of disc side to sprocket bearing race at 133.69mm ie .63mm/.025'' clearance ..ie spacer was that much longer..eliminating too short spacer as culprit)

I agree with the bore size being to tight. But isn't the spacer being to long also a problem. Wouldn't that cause outward pressure on the bearing centers after they have be installed and seated?

LaPorte
la porte et al,,,

the spacer bing a bit longer is not a problem because you'll never be able to 'crush the bearings inner race against the outer race laterally...the 800 hub was designed to have the right/disc bearing do all the alignment chores..
hence DON"T WORRY!!!!

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #1363
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
17''SM for the front of an BMW F800GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical-T
Wow! Not sure how I missed this thread.
Woody, I'm thinking about getting an F800 GS. Because I'm verry lazy I've not read all of the posts. So, if there is already something on here about 17" wheels for the F800 GS please point me in the right direction. From what I have been reading, however, It would seem you'd be able to answer my question. Because I like to have my cake and eat it too, I was wondering if you know of or build a good 17" motard type wheel set for the GS. I would love to have two sets for when I want to DS or scratch in the twisties. What kind of complications might I encounter. What would the approximate cost be.
Thanks for any help.
-T
no worryies ,,,we have a spare front hub to build ya a nice 3.5 x17 black rim for SM work,,,,

psssst....FYI,,,i'm more inclined to use a 2,50x19 on the front if you want an even more well rounded ride that's not as twitchie,,ie i think it's an all around better investment

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #1364
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last
 
woody's wheel works's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: 39*40'33.86N 104*59'54.69W
Oddometer: 3,326
15'' wire car wheels to motrcycle sidecar rig/hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIW
Woody - can you lace a rim from a 15" wired auto wheel to a MC hub such as a heavy duty hub like those used for flat track racing? I am building a rally racing sidecar similar to Hog Wild's Dakar sidecar. I want to run 15" rally racing tires but don't want to make custom hubs and use custom auto wheels.
if the car wheel has 40 spokes like some very early MG's that would work with a 40 hole hub..

remember ya have to mathch the holes,,,,also later rims used 60 and td finally 72 spoke wheels,,,i have few 60 spoke hubs floatin garound,,,

basically if we can match the holes we can come up with a workable solution

woody
__________________
If you have any questions... Post Em Here
..For more info check our website...
www.woodyswheelworks.com
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #1365
Kyler
Confused Hack Nut
 
Kyler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: 51st State - Western MD
Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
la porte et al,,,

the spacer bing a bit longer is not a problem because you'll never be able to 'crush the bearings inner race against the outer race laterally...the 800 hub was designed to have the right/disc bearing do all the alignment chores..
hence DON"T WORRY!!!!

woody
PM sent - please call
__________________
Ken => I'm a DAMN Rider (No rules, just ride!)
Happiness is a 3-wheel drift!
Member of the Maryland OHV Alliance
Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014