User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 AM   #1381
AWM
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 11,360
Woody,

I've got a jones for a supermoto.The more i get into it,the more i see that it ain't cheap!!!
Basicly,i want to keep my 17" wheel on the rear of my DR650,and have the front 21" relaced with a 17".
Winters here[basicly]and i have other bikes,so time isn't a big deal.
I'd like to find a 17" rim that looks as close to the OEM as possible.
I'm sure its something you've done before.I need a idea of price and how you'd want the wheel,the way i take it off or striped to the rim,no bearings,rotors,etc.
Any help would be great!Thanks

Theres a name for people without beards,"Women".
AWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:03 AM   #1382
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,305
DR650 front 21'' to 2.50x17 conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by awm
Woody,

I've got a jones for a supermoto.The more i get into it,the more i see that it ain't cheap!!!
Basicly,i want to keep my 17" wheel on the rear of my DR650,and have the front 21" relaced with a 17".
Winters here[basicly]and i have other bikes,so time isn't a big deal.
I'd like to find a 17" rim that looks as close to the OEM as possible.
I'm sure its something you've done before.I need a idea of price and how you'd want the wheel,the way i take it off or striped to the rim,no bearings,rotors,etc.
Any help would be great!Thanks
no problem,,
send in the complete wheel so we get the off set right,,we may have some good used stuff if you are trying to keep the cost down..could possibly be as low as $350 if we are lucky

new 2.5x17 rim ,,,ss spokes ,,,superlace circa $400-500 depending on color etc.

woody
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 01:43 PM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #1383
Auto-Haus
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Talking R1200gsa tire wear

Thanks for the stomach soothing info.I did put a new metz on the rear. Do you know of a better tire set for the bike? The next time i change it will be both frt & rr. Thanks for your info. Auto-haus
Auto-Haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #1384
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Woody, do you have the parts to build a motard set for an 08 Husqvarna 610? Hubs, wheels, super laced
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #1385
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

'08 Husky 610 Super-Moto conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Woody, do you have the parts to build a motard set for an 08 Husqvarna 610? Hubs, wheels, super laced
no problem we'll want to use a billet cush drive hub on rear..it'll be circa $1400 for a complete set-up

holler,,
woody
Old 11-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #1386
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody's wheel works
no problem we'll want to use a billet cush drive hub on rear..it'll be circa $1400 for a complete set-up

holler,,
woody
Thanks I will call you soon to talk it over and see what all you are using. It's not cush drive now, will that affect the floating rotor?

Chris
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #1387
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

610 husky,,will cush drive affect the floating rotor???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
Thanks I will call you soon to talk it over and see what all you are using. It's not cush drive now, will that affect the floating rotor?

Chris
chris,,,the cush drive has nothing to do with your floating rotor,,,,what the cush-drive does is dampen the powerful hit that big single delivers to your entire drive-train...

it absorbs and then delivers the big hit....and like i've said many a time before ...

every component from the primary gears to the tire contact point will be giving you the thumbs up and rewarding you with extra longevity

who knows what positive effects it will have on your future,,you will be building up positive karma for making the switch now that you realize the consequences

woody
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #1388
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
CapoNord wheel

Quote:

woody
Hi Woody,

is the CapoNord rim set free of any problem when set up for LC8 hub?
An inmate some time ago told of problems with the wheel consistently falling out of true every so often.
Is the BMW rim having the same problem?
Is the BMW rim free of that problem?
Is it possible to anodize the BMW wheel orange or Blue?

My bike is a 2004 Adventure S (Go!!!!!!!)

I really like the CapoNord piece of art!

Thanks

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #1389
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
chris,,,the cush drive has nothing to do with your floating rotor,,,,what the cush-drive does is dampen the powerful hit that big single delivers to your entire drive-train...

it absorbs and then delivers the big hit....and like i've said many a time before ...

every component from the primary gears to the tire contact point will be giving you the thumbs up and rewarding you with extra longevity

who knows what positive effects it will have on your future,,you will be building up positive karma for making the switch now that you realize the consequences

woody
Thanks, I plan to call you tonight. I just got a spare rear wheel to use the hub for this project and save some $$. I will call you today for more specific details and wants vs needs.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #1390
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

what are the problems with caponord or bmw tubeless x-laced wheels

[quote=DakarBlues]Hi Woody,

is the CapoNord rim set free of any problem when set up for LC8 hub?
we have had no problems attributable to the building/lacing of these rims to any LC-4 or LC-8 hub....i sleep better when i lace the rear wheel with the billet hub from RAD...i had RAD build this hub with extra beef in the areas where spokes go through the sprocket side lugs,,,there's considerably more stress placed on those lugs when the spokes have to cross all the way over to other side of a wide rim,,,specing that hub with 6061-T6 over the oem casting didn't hurt either.

An inmate some time ago told of problems with the wheel consistently falling out of true every so often.
we have built 50 sets of these wheels since the prototype set was built for that particular inmate,,,not one person has reported any problems with his/her wheels,,nor has anyone sent one back for retruing,,,what we have ascertained is that the Caponord rims as well as all of Bmw's rims that were built by Behr have a QC problem..all my dilemmas arrive in the area where the rim is butt welded together and the associated hand grinding to very loose tolerances,,,the Caponord rims are slightly worse than the BMWs.....

this is the region that i was being slammed for...the rim width internally as well as externally routinely varies between 1-3mm/.040-.120'',,if you make one side perfect well then the other side will be out of wack,,,it was in dealing with this customer's flak that we found the cause of the readings,,now we just split the reading so that territory looks like an hour glass centered on the rim...amazingly i nor anyone else can tell that there is this quirk in the rim,,we have on occassion put the finished wheel in the lathe and machined a bit of the protrusions just to ease my eyeballs.

Is the BMW rim having the same problem?
yes,,,the rim also has unusual divots that vary between.015-.080'',,anything over.030'' we recommend filling with JB weld and machining to less than .010'' circa $30-50 depending how big,,,,FYI some of these divots are close to 3-4'' long,,,we always use the inside bead to do our measurement laterally and longtitudinally...using the outside is a joke

Is the BMW rim free of that problem?
not yet,,,however i've learned to work with it and routinely get both the Caponords and BMWs coaxed into circa +/- .010'' runout....i've been told it's damn difficult to make chicken soup out of chicken-shit ,,truth be told i've transformed many a clunker into a very useful unit again,,,hey!!isn't that why spices and perfume were invented???

Is it possible to anodize the BMW wheel orange or Blue?
we can do most anything to anything you've got...

My bike is a 2004 Adventure S (Go!!!!!!!)
well ya have good taste in your bikes at least

I really like the CapoNord piece of art!
it's grown on me too,,,be forewarned we routinely get complaints from customers that get mesmerized with our product and BWOE place them on their coffee tables in the living room ,,develop drooling attacks,,eye fixation problems acompanied by an occassional un-expected woodie ....we are getting kind of concerned over here to the point of recently discussing these symptoms with our insurance agent....those of you who have experienced these symptoms please chime in and offer your advice...

That's what i love about this forum..the camradarie and willingness to help each other out...

thanks ,,woody

Thanks[/quote

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 10:44 PM
Old 11-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #1391
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Now we are talking

Thanks Woody.

That was clear.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 AM   #1392
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Nice talking to you last night Woody, thanks for the quote. I am going to keep searching for a front hub a couple more months to shave costs. Then I will ship it all to ya to do your magic.

Chris
Old 11-20-2009, 10:19 AM   #1393
IRS Media
IRS Media

Oddometer: 19
950SE 19/17 Wheel Set

Woody,

I own a technical and business support compnay that serves the MC industry so I get items at OE or dealer pricing. I don't mean to be cheap (yeah, I do, sorry) but I want to build a 19/17 wheel set for my 2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro for the lowest possible outlay.

My goal is to use the standard 21/18 wheel set for agressive dual sport riding and then use the new 19/17 set mounted with TKC's for Adventure Touring.

My intention is to get the parts (hubs & rims) and send them off to you for spoke production and assembly. Once I get them back I simply bolt on the rotors, sprocket, etc.

Are the standard KTM hubs acceptable? What about EXCEL rims that I would get from RK in the proper sizes? Or do you have a different source to get items of differnt specifications?

Can you provide $$ estimates (and possible private contact irs-media-office@earthlink.net)?

Many thanks in advance and congrats on your very positive rep.
IRS Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #1394
Captain Morgan
Thirsty for More

Oddometer: 7
F800GS wheel set

Hi Woody

Would you be so kind as to advise/quote me for:
I'm looking for a complete set, front and rear, wheels for my F800GS. I want to fit this new set with appropriate tyres for off-roading and keep my existing, standard "soft" stocks, for my every day riding.
Many thanks.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #1395
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's what we can do for a frugal soul with all the right connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRS Media
Woody,

I own a technical and business support compnay that serves the MC industry so I get items at OE or dealer pricing. I don't mean to be cheap (yeah, I do, sorry) but I want to build a 19/17 wheel set for my 2007 KTM 950 Super Enduro for the lowest possible outlay.,,,Don't we all????

My goal is to use the standard 21/18 wheel set for agressive dual sport riding,''standard 21/18 wheel set'' and ''aggressive dual-sport riding'' is an oxymoron.....your stock wheel combo is basically good for street and smooth fireroad use,,anything beyond that pushes their limit,,,especially that of the front rim ,,,we have replaced hundreds with more appropriate narrower rims with superior alloys and lace patterns....and then use the new 19/17 set mounted with TKC's for Adventure Touring......now your talking of a smart move that you'll really appreciate

My intention is to get the parts (hubs & rims) and send them off to you for spoke production and assembly. Once I get them back I simply bolt on the rotors, sprocket, etc.......we can do that provided you can source those parts,,,i see no problem with the hubs,,,the rims will be tricky because they get custom drilled for me

Are the standard KTM hubs acceptable? ,,,yes...What about EXCEL rims that I would get from RK in the proper sizes? ,,,,sorry ,not available from anywhere,,,we basically have to start with a blank rim and go from there.....you can have the sizes 2.5x19 and 4.25x17...i've even tried to get excel to provide rims with my trick or even oem drill patterns,,,alas the numbers don't add up to make it cost effective for either of us.....Or do you have a different source to get items of differnt specifications?,,,,isn't that like asking a chef which and where he get's his ingredients,,,,to save my customers $$$$ i use dozens of sources,,white-brothers/tucker-rocky/parts unlimited/east-coast wheel/buchanans/black bike/etc etc

Can you provide $$ estimates (and possible private contact irs-media-office@earthlink.net)? here's a link to prices:
http://woodyswheelworks.com/ktm.shtml

Many thanks in advance and congrats on your very positive rep.
well i appreciate the gratitude and kudos and look forward to solving your request...
woody