Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #1471
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,346
re-lacing your wheels versus buying outright...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Woody- 09 Xcountry... I want to go 21/18 and never look back. TT sells complete wheels with hubs and excel rims $$$. Would I save a signifigant amount of money having you redo my current hubs or should I just buy a complete set and sell the 19/17's?

Thanks,

Mike
of course you'll save circa $500 by re-lacing yours..what size rims and spokes are they offering for how much$$$$....????

holler,woody

PS..what ya won't get from ANYBODY is my Superlace and that's a huge difference.,,and ya KNOW who's building them HERE in our good ol USA
....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #1472
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Caldwell
Hi Woody!, just wanted to ask if you could send me a PM or call me & let me know when my wheels ship out & give me a tracking number? If I know the day they're supposed to arrive i'll probably call in sick so i'll be sure to not to miss the guy (or gal) in the big brown truck. Not tryin to pester ya'll but the anticipation of their arrival has got me giddy like a kid at Christmas.
hi bruce,,well i do KNOW how it can get ,,,,so to prepare your self a lil better here's the schedule,,,the blue hubs will be ready tomorrow,,,your other parts are all in and ready to go...so we should be able to get it wrapped up and sent before the week-end...will post tracking info then...

sorry about the delay caused by our powder-coater needing to finish another colored run...

woody
Old 02-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #1473
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 577
i want to relate my experience with Woodys Wheel Works:

prior to sending my wheels to Woodys for powder coating i called there 3 or 4 times to ask questions and the women who answered the phone (yes a real live person answered) were very knowledgeable and they cheerfully answered my questions. this may not seem like a big deal to some of you but when you have to answer the same questions from idiots like me day in and day out it can easily effect your attitude. within 24 hrs of receiving my wheels i received a phone call from one of Woodys employees. he (sorry i forgot his name) informed me that powder coating my hubs was not a problem but if they powder coated my aluminum rims the baking process would soften my wheels. he advised me to have the aluminum rims anodized instead of powder coated. he also said i had some rusty spokes and asked if i wanted them replaced. the entire conversation was not only pleasant but i never once got the feeling i was being rushed or pushed into anything. i was also told i would be notified either by phone or e-mail on the progress of my wheels as well as when they would be shipped back to me. although my wheels are still out at Woodys shop so far i am 100% happy with the service i am receiving. i live in a small town north of NYC called Buchanan and i could have easily sent my wheels to that other place in CA but i am glad i choose Woodys, so far the personalized service is exactly why i choose Woody's over any place else.

George

PS: the guy i spoke to on the phone said he will send me a couple of free t-shirts. you think it is ok for someone from Buchanan to wear a Woodys shirt???? LOL
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #1474
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
Howdy Woody,

can you give me an idea of $$ inc postage to sydney Australia for the following;

Ive fitted a 96 CR250 front end to my Africa Twin 750

I just have the standard CR250 front wheel at the moment but it seems a bit wimpy for the 200+kg of the bike.

What would you recomend for a wheel to replace it ?? , I was thinking , RAD econo hub , superlace + Gold A60 front rim ( I see you have one for sale on your website).

thanks
Greg
Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM   #1475
Bruce Caldwell
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman
i want to relate my experience with Woodys Wheel Works:

he (sorry i forgot his name) informed me that powder coating my hubs was not a problem but if they powder coated my aluminum rims the baking process would soften my wheels. he advised me to have the aluminum rims anodized instead of powder coated.

George
Is that because they're cast wheels? My stock 1100GS wheels are at Woody's right now being powder coated & they didn't tell me they couldn't be. I once had the cast wheels on a Yamaha FZR 400 powder coated & didn't have any problems with them while I owned the bike. Maybe I was just lucky.

Guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns & pointed stick conducts his business...Frank Zappa
Bruce Caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #1476
TedShred
PHAT BASTARD

Oddometer: 974
Just got my front wheel back from Woody's. Zach did a 21" super lace for my 12GS. It's killer

Excel wheel and super light hub in anodized blue. Can't wait to get down to Mexico later this month!!!

2006 DRZ400E
2005 R1200GS
TedShred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #1477
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

powdercoating or anodizing a quick review...

Bruce Caldwell ,nytrashman et al...

we have powder-coated and anodized every conceivable alloy over the years...it is the high tensile alloy rims that seem to bend easier after powder-coating...hence we shy away from using that technique for competition machines...

the X-laced wheels on your BMWs are fairly beefy and have the extra advantage of the inherent ability of the lace pattern to ''hold the wheel in compression from the outer lips in...this technique is so good at locking the rim in place that it often masks rims that are bent,,,that will spring into a bent shape once the spokes are relaxed..so i do not shy away from using either technique especially if they aren't planning on hammering them in the dirt

and like i've posted before both techniques create problems for us when the rims arrive all pitted from regions that have had lots of corrosive stuff scattered on the highways...this eats under the anodizing or powder-coat

and becomes really visible once the rims have been either chemically stripped or media/bead blasted...sometimes we can buff most of the stuff out.other times ...we have to use llil tricks of the trade to make it look right..BWOE we precook the items to be painted by running them through a bake cycle before applying the powder coating...otherwise you get this orange peel/mini moon cratered surface....the anodizing 's chemicals have a very serious way of locating the previous erosion regardless of how small it is...FYI satin black is the most forgiving of the colors in either medium.

regarding mags/alloy cast wheels ..no problems..very view folks anodize those however.

and i just had my eyes opened by one of my customers STUNNING black nickle plated mag .it was plated by an outfit in California and looked even better than the patented black -chrome rims from BMW cars.,,,Colorado's tough EPA laws have shut down practically every chrome shop in the city.

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 05:24 PM
Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #1478
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

trick front wheel for Africa twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
Howdy Woody,

can you give me an idea of $$ inc postage to sydney Australia for the following;

Ive fitted a 96 CR250 front end to my Africa Twin 750

I just have the standard CR250 front wheel at the moment but it seems a bit wimpy for the 200+kg of the bike.

What would you recomend for a wheel to replace it ?? , I was thinking , RAD econo hub , superlace + Gold A60 front rim ( I see you have one for sale on your website).

thanks
Greg
when i build ya my version of a trick wheel i start off with the eagle hubs 95% of the time..they are much nicer...that gold rim went on another guys bike amonth ago.. the A-60's only come in black ,,it'll run ya $275 to get a gold one made..however i think ican get you into a gold excel double sig which is almost as strong for $circa 150-170..ss &ss spoke/nipple set for $105 and superlace $99 hub is $250 whatever color ya want

S&H to aussieland circa $100 if ya want to save $20 we can use Zartan nipples..
holler

woody

PS...now if ya send your wheels in we can do both wheels for just a few dollars more by recycling your hubs,,

which is how i'd do it
woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 08:07 PM
Old 02-02-2010, 07:58 PM   #1479
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
thanks woody, I'll work out my pesos & get back to you if I can do it.

Greg
Old 02-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #1480
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgreg
thanks woody, I'll work out my pesos & get back to you if I can do it.

Greg
now if ya send your wheels in we can do both wheels for just a few dollars more by recycling your hubs,,

which is how i'd do it
woody
Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #1481
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

www prices versus Toura Techs

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber mike
Woody- 09 Xcountry... I want to go 21/18 and never look back. TT sells complete wheels with hubs and excel rims $$$. Would I save a signifigant amount of money having you redo my current hubs or should I just buy a complete set and sell the 19/17's?

Thanks,

Mike
took me awhile to down-load all the TT info,,, ,seems like those wheels are going for $912.20 each

well we can do ya a better deal for less $$$ and you'll be the proud owner of some superlaced wheels... and if ya want to save even more just send your old ones in and save another $500 on the set..

sorry used ones are virtually non existent,,,

holler when you are ready

woody
Old 02-05-2010, 06:41 PM   #1482
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

The motley crew that built Bruce Caldwell's R1100GS wheels

Dear bruce....here's a little teaser so that you can finally relax...so that you can actually visualize what you have been so patiently waiting for....there's no greater truth in this case than the statement ''All is well that ends well.''... The powder-coater re-did the rims this morning..and WOW what a difference in the finish when you get old alloys and run them thru a heat cycle in order to out -gas the rims...Amazing 98% of the offending little craters and pin holes were eliminated...he knew better but assumed the rims were new [[we can thank Toby for prepping em too nice....]

They trued up to +/-.005'' on the front and =/- .010'' on the rear
,,you could road-race with these or go for a speed -record at Bonneville !!!

They'll be in the mail on Monday....w

why am i laughing my ass off...???
because i got another bent 'unrebuild-able'' X-laced Beemer wheel trued to +/-.005'',,but that trick happened after ...
1..our other team -mate "Brother Anh'' straightened three big flat spots on the front and one on the rear ...

2.. Brother Zach did all the co-ordinating and assembly work

3.. Brother Toby to my right our re-conditioning wizard pre-cleaned,,,media blasted and prepped everything on this project,,,bearing R&R,,then performed the exacting taping off everything precisely before powder-coatingthis is what separates a sano looking finish from the wannabes

4..last but not least Big Brother Mike is our QC,,detail ,,grub-screw installer and shipping magnate...

we'll get a pic of Brother Anh next week

woody n the gang

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 06:14 AM
Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #1483
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
Woody,
Looking for an "about how much".
F800GS. Front. Replace with an Excel using original hub.
Thanks

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #1484
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
Woody-Not ADV specific by any means.

Got an old 75 Honda CB400F SuperSport. Looking to retro mod it to fit 17" radial tires (110/70/17 front & 140 or 150/70/17 rear). This tire size is commonnow on Yamaha's WR 250 motard, so I am sure I can find good rubber in those sizes. This would allow me to keep the retro look but run modern rubber. My other option would be to swap out the forks and all for a modern front end and use sportbike wheels, but that'd really take away the retro look. I guess I am looking at the DUcati SPort Classic type of look with their 17" wheels.

If I were to disassemble the stock wheels and send hubs to you, what do you think can be done with wider 17" rims and new spokes on the ancient hubs? How narrow a rim can be run to use the tire sizes I mentioned above (3"F and 4" R?)? Maybe a bronze coloured rim? If not, black would do.
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:06 PM   #1485
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

F800GS front rim swap ,,$$$,,,???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Woody,
Looking for an "about how much".
F800GS. Front. Replace with an Excel using original hub.
Thanks
circrca $270 depending on what rim we use recycling your spokes and lace pattern

circa $400 for superlace,,,beefy sss spokes n nipples +one year warranty against loosening spokes

woody