Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #16
VtBlackDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
super ride report.....I suspect I may have been the guy in Woodstock on the yellow DR.

any chance of posting gps co-ords of some of those remote places?
Attached Images

VtBlackDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
VtBlackDog
Gnarly Adventurer

after seeing your report, I was curious about the floating bridge in Brookfield, so took the harley up around tunbridge, over to the bridge and then back down Rt 12 to randolph....checked out the Snowsville General Store on Rt 12; nice bunch of guns!

made in across the bridge on the Harely. Like riding on ice!
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #18
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Keep 'em coming. I love VT too. In fact I love NH and ME just as much. I grew up around San Francisco and they have some awsome motorcycling for sure. But its a long ride to get there. We've been in New England for the past 15 years and I am learning we have some of the best motorcycling anywhere. Not only that but you get there less then an hour from home.

Have you tried the Bayley Hazen Military Road? It starts just north of Hanover along the CT River and traverses the state northwest almost to the Canadian border at a town called Mongomery.

. Its a nice day ride. I didn't get to the notch near Montgomery, but I hear it would be fun on your DR.

Thanks-
Actually, Hazen's Notch is doable on a street bike, preferably when dry as there is a section of rutted clay that can get a bit slippery.

Did it on the ZX12R last year, alonng with Sandwich Notch over in NH: had the goal of riding all the VT / NH / ME Notches and Gaps, and only had street bikes to do it with...
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #19
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

Oddometer: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHD
made in across the bridge on the Harely. Like riding on ice!
Cool, judging from your picture looks like the rain brought the water level up a tad that day too.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:37 PM   #20
VtBlackDog
Gnarly Adventurer

can you post more info on the Bayley Hazen road?

I can't find where it connects near Hanover....

I did google up some info that says it goes from Wells River to mongomery; I found a pdf "BayleyHazenIntro.pdf" but can't get it to load on this page.

It sounds like a nice ride, and so close to home!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 PM   #21
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
If you want to come do some riding in Vermont let me know and we can show you a lot of good stuff. A friend and i recently did the first 90 miles or so of the old vermont dual sport route. We are also going to do the north south all dirt route one weekend in august. Having grown up here and ridden mt bikes, hiked, and motorcycled I am familiar with many of the trails in the reading, ascutney, woodstock, bridgewater, rutland area. Always happy to have riding partners.

few pictures from one ride...not a very good camera:

there is also a good write up by Ilya from a ride we lead a few summers ago.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:25 PM   #22
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHD
I did google up some info that says it goes from Wells River to mongomery; I found a pdf "BayleyHazenIntro.pdf" but can't get it to load on this page.
The PDF is all the info I have as well. The directions on it are kinda vague, but I guess that'll be the adventure part. Maybe Pantah has some more info?

bitterjoe screwed with this post 08-01-2006 at 04:42 PM
bitterjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 PM   #23
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
A friend and i recently did the first 90 miles or so of the old vermont dual sport route.
Are you talking about the old 220 mile VETRA route? If so, I am all ears. I've got a lead on maps or possible gps coordinates from that route, but nothing in hand yet. Been trying to get that route for a year now.

bitterjoe screwed with this post 08-01-2006 at 04:38 PM
Old 08-02-2006, 07:31 AM   #24
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
What's the N/S dirt route?

Someone did a pretty good Baily Hazen report either at the end of last year, or early this spring. Might find it with a site search.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 AM   #25
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterjoe
Are you talking about the old 220 mile VETRA route? If so, I am all ears. I've got a lead on maps or possible gps coordinates from that route, but nothing in hand yet. Been trying to get that route for a year now.
yes I am talking about the old 220 mile vetra loop. We have the roll charts at home and have ridden the first 5 or so loops. We still need to finish the last 4 or 5 loops.....its basicaly 1 big loop made of 9 or so smaller ones.

N/S dirt route is a route of all dirt roads and trails from one end of vermont to the other. plan on 2 days of riding. I intend to do it on the 950 and we are planning on doing it one of these weekends in august.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 08-02-2006 at 08:52 AM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #26
PackMule
love what you do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
N/S dirt route is a route of all dirt roads and trails from one end of vermont to the other. plan on 2 days of riding. I intend to do it on the 950 and we are planning on doing it one of these weekends in august.

Is this a "pay for maps" kind of thing like the TransAm trail, or is the route posted somewhere?

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

Pyndon '13
Old 08-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #27
furiousfart
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I'd be very interested in the VT n/s trail dirt roads. That would be a cool week end. Hell finding any trails would be nice. All I can find is old town roads, and thats only good if people don't build houses in the middle of them.
furiousfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:01 PM   #28
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

8/13/06 Bayley-Hazen Military Road

So after all this previous talk of the Bayley-Hazen Military Road and reading Pantah's report from last fall, I figured I would take a ride up and see if I could find my way. Based on the pdf map I had printed out and my gps I figured I should be covered. Both of which proved useful, as there were occasions that neither seemed right, but I think I managed to capture most of it.

Friday midday I loaded up the DR and prepared to head out.

I headed up to my cabin in VT for the weekend by taking the scenic route around Lake Winnipesaukee, Plymouth and Orford, NH across into Thetford, VT and over to my place.

After a couple of hours and a hundred or so miles I arrive at the top of my hill and stop to take a shot before heading down my dirt road. Good to be back in the hills.

Going to do the ride tomorrow and make a day of it. Pretty much puttered around the camp and did some chores. Had to mow the lawn and fun stuff like that. Made a trip to the village for provisions.

Took a walk down the road and saw some rocks, so I built my own Inukshuk. Ever since I have been reading all of the Alaska reports they just appeal to me.

I walked around on the powerlines and sat and ate berries for about an hour. Mmmm....

Watched the sun head down hoping to see some local wildlife, but none tonight. Sunset shot, a little dark, sorry.

Day 2: Ride time.

Woke up to a beautiful morning and knew it was going to be a great day for a ride. Went outside and had a cup of coffee and took in a couple of my favorite sights: my cabin and the DR.

As I headed out of my road, little did I know that a good portion of today's ride would look similar. A little more farmland, but similar terrain.

I headed out of town through Chelsea and Corinth and made my way up to Wells River, starting point of the Bayley-Hazen.

Passed a lot of these on the way. That time of the year...

In about an hour I arrived in Wells River and was soon on my way.

I was unable to locate the same sign in Pantah's report, so this is next one I came to early in the ride.

The scenery out here was just amazing. Following will be more photos than commentary, as they can do better without words. Plus, the map was hard enough to follow, much less take notes. It seemed you were turning onto a different road every .7 miles. I spent more time glancing at my tankbag with the map, my gps and my odometer trying to reconcile the three to make sure I was going in the right direction.

I believe Pantah's report has got a shot of this marker that may be clearer to read than mine.

More rolling scenery

Stopped off to bag me a church shot. Getting a little overcast at that point.

And a cemetery shot too! I think I missed the old barn shot, so I'm down a couple points on this ride.

Here is my bike parked just down from the cemetery. Apparently I was moving right along prior to stoppping for the shot...

Most of the roads today were all like the above, except for one small section shown below. And I am sure you could cut around this part easily, as there are little dirt roads zig-zagging all over.

More scenery...

Wait! This might count as the barn shot! Still in the game...

I think the above is the last shot I have from the actual road. Right towards the end, in the last ten miles around Hazen's Notch Road, there was another road listed on my gps as "Bayley Hazen Road" that is not on the pdf/map version. Now here is where it gets odd. And I forget to take pics. I know the map from the pdf says continue on Hazen's Notch road, but this section must be part of the original road (why else would it say "Bayley Hazen Road" on the gps). Only problem is it is a left turn up between two hay fields, clearly someone's land. I figured, I've come this far I owe it to myself to ride up there in the fields even if I get yelled at. So I go up and come to basically a treeline at the top of the fields. You can see a small cut out and a couple of little blue markers stating it is used by a cross-country ski club. Now it is still listed on the gps as a road, but obviously no vehicle has been up it in a long, long, long time. Not even an atv. I don't even think you could ski it. I get about 1/8th mile in and was like this is crazy. I think only have about maybe 20 miles left on the IMS before I need fuel. You would need to bring your Turkey Run bike for these rocks and stumps. And it looks like 10 miles on the gps to the next connecter. Oh well, back down through the fields and time to find some fuel (incidentally, get some in Wells River if you do this ride, as there are no gas stations on the route.)

So I hop over to Route 100 and find a station just in time and fuel up. It's been a good ride and is only around 3 p.m. and I've come this far so...

Zip up into Québec for an hour and poked around and then it was time to head south.

I took Route 100 to Route 15 to Route 232 on the way back to my cabin. Man, Route 232 would be an awesome ride if they bothered to put a fresh coat of tar on it. Twisty and through the state forest. Even with frost heaves it was still a great ride.

I was getting a wee-bit chilly by the time I hit camp around 7 p.m. 300+ miles round-trip and several hours in the saddle made for one fine day. I thawed-out for an hour or so before calling it a day....

Map and gpx file to follow.

Thanks for coming along on the ride.

bitterjoe screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 08:49 AM
Old 08-13-2006, 08:08 PM   #29
bitterjoe OP
killing the fatted calf

Bayley-Hazen Map and GPX

PDF of mapped route. Incidentally, this original PDF route is mapped for mountain bikes and if you are into that sort of thing you would have an awesome ride.

Updated 10/18/09: Linked gpx file (right-click, save as) has two tracks now, both filtered under 500 points, one for big bikes and one with the hero section. Includes the popular P&H Truckstop as the meeting waypoint. This track was recorded in Fall of 06 and is more complete. Pics of that ride here.

Let me know if you have problems with the file.

Enjoy.

bitterjoe screwed with this post 10-18-2009 at 07:48 PM
Old 08-14-2006, 07:41 AM   #30
PackMule
love what you do

Awesome reports, Joe!

I think I rememeber seeing that "field"/trail in someone elses report -- they continued on it, and it seemed to be the original track.

Catch you soon,

Pyndon '13