Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2006, 09:19 PM   #1
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Bluhduh SS1600K - 1, humvee - 0

Noob submitting his first ride report.

Hero #1 myself
Hero #2 Tobi (events blogged here http://germanpickle.blogspot.com/ )
Hero #3 Tobi’s neighbor

The story begins a few months ago during the depth of winter when our Hero#1 calls up his Hero#2 and says “hey, let’s qualify for an Iron butt ride”. For months we theorize, argue and plan our route over malted beverages.

Should we go east? Na, sun in our eyes to and from.
Should we go south? No, then we waste 2 hours of dirving time because IB rules says you either travel in miles or kilometers, but not both.
Should we go north? Na, not enough gas stops and a circular route isn’t possible.
West it is.

When should we go? Well, let’s maximize daylight and go close to summer solstice. Done – June 17th it is.

Here’s our planned route, Basically Winnipeg to Saskatoon and back.

Breaking 2 IB tips, booze the night before and coffee the morning of.

7am
Hero #1 rides a ’99 cheap KuntLR. This passes for a pre-ride inspection

Hero#2 rides an 1983 GPz550. He was extremely busy the last 2 weeks before the ride putting the motor together after doing some work on it. It was nightly work but in paid off in the fact that he was able to join me on the ride.

Hero#1’s dashboard. GPS to get him going the right way, Watch to get him there on time, a spreadsheet to see if we’re on schedule, and 2-month old baby at home who wants to see him come back in one piece.

Hero#2 thinks he’s sitting on his camelback mouthpiece, therefore creating a wet arse.

Photo shoot at “The Narrows” A narrow tract of land/bridge in the middle of Lake Manitoba. An intelligent conversation with a young lad at the site went like this:

Child: What’s that?
H#1: This (Camelback straw). It’s a straw that goes to a waterpack on my back, like a backpack
Child: Why?
H#1: In case I get thirsty
H#1: **confused look*
Child: **notices shoulder badges of FG Kili** Are you a cop?
H#1: No

It started raining shortly after our stop at the narrows. We had woken up to a beautiful day though. H#2 had his saddlebags stolen 2 days before our ride and neglected to replace his rain pants.

A few miles down the road H#2 realizes his house keys are missing from his keyring. Oh well, nothing we can do about it now.

Mechanical Stop#1: A semi passes the other way nearly blowing off H#1’s radiator shroud. A quick stop is made to completely remove it and throw it in the duffel bag.

Had this really been Kandahar, Afghanistan, I’m sure that would be some sort of IB record (nevermind dodging bullets and minefields), however this is Kandahar, Saskatchewan. Weather is still raining or threatening to do so.

About 1pm
Lunch stop in Yorkton, SK

Raining, fairly miserable, and running into a stiff headwind for the last few hours coming into Saskatoon, H#2 hears a POP from the motor and his top speed lowers to 90km/h.

H#2 is cold and wet, so we hit a Zellers so he can buy some warm and dry clothing. And more oil. Checking out the bike we see the oil that’s supposed to be on the inside, is now on the outside. Choice words are spoken the IB gods.

Limping at 75km/h, we travel to Regina. The GPz is puffing smoke like a 1970’s factory and I pull him over when it suddenly gets worse. H#2 checks the oil again, and tries to start the motor…no go. More choice words for the IB gods. He runs down the highway and she fires up. I restart my bike to join, pull in the clutch and POP. DAMMIT. More choice words for the IB gods. Hmmm…what did I read on ADV to do in this situation….so I find neutral, run the bike and she fires when I shift to 1st. By the time I catch up Tobi is traveling back on the shoulder.

The worse part of this is that I bought a clutch cable in ADV’s flea market and let if at home thinking “It’s a high-way trip, what are the chances…”. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

Arriving in Regina at 10pm we discuss our options. A rescue vehicle (H#2’s neighbor) will start the 5 hour drive West to get us. We will travel East as far as we can to shorten the drive. H#2 buys more oil, at this bike his bike is burning 1.5 litres every 40kms.

40km out of Regina It is now dark, the rain is hampering visibility even more, and we are traveling at 75% of the speed limit. That meets my “3-strike” rule for safety and I have to call it a day. H#2 is wanting to drive further, but I have to call it a day. At this point risk wins over reward and we would only have ourselves to blame if things went from bad to worse.

No, let’s stop, relax, and wait for rescue. The only open establishment is a bar and we welcome the warmth of heat and rye+coke. A bachelorette party at the next table thinks we are the evenings entertainment (strippers) and raise a glass in our honor.

Murphy isn’t done with us yet.
Our rescue vehicle is stopped for speeding. His sob story of saving our asses gets him out of a ticket.

The bar is now closed and we sit in the rain for 2? Hours waiting for our ride.

H#2 uses his bike on the side of the road as a sign for where we are. It falls over twice in the wet gravel shoulder and the RCMP walk it over, we stop them and have a friendly chat for a few minutes.

Rescue truck arrives with little gas, gas is taken from the GPz

Rescue truck needs rescue when trying to load the bikes. An hour of work frees it from the muddy ditch. It is now about 4 or 5am. It is still raining.

Murphy was done with us, but the women of our Heros were not understanding.

H#3 went to save his buddy’s but due to the distance and stuck truck, missed his ETA at home and therefore some important family engagements. I don’t know how this ended, but H3, we are very grateful and will make it up to you and the wife.

H#2 was treated to a day of cold shoulder…but has since kissed and made up.

H#1 was welcomed home with a “I’m just glad you’re alive, you’re never doing that again”. I’ll take it if it means I don’t have to leave with a homecoming like #2 and #3.

Bed of Shame:

Up for 29 hours…it’s time for bed with little bee-bop. The next SS1600K will have to wait until next year

humvee screwed with this post 06-20-2006 at 06:33 AM Reason: adding blog link
humvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
dlearl476
Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer: 22,859
Quote:
Breaking 2 IB tips, booze the night before and coffee the morning of.
Breaking a third:
Quote:
He was extremely busy the last 2 weeks before the ride putting the motor together after doing some work on it. It was nightly work but in paid off in the fact that he was able to join me on the ride.
Doomed from the start, IMHO. IBA riders may not know everything, but I'm sure they've forgotten more than I know. Best not tempt fate.

Then again, the best description of "Adventure" I've ever heard is "tales of misery recounted at leisure".

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect each from the other. -- Oscar Ameringer
dlearl476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #3
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by humvee

Photo shoot at “The Narrows” A narrow tract of land/bridge in the middle of Lake Manitoba.

Ah yes, the Narrows . . .
Spent a lot of time over the years drinking LaBatt's not 50' from where you are standing in your pictures.

Great ride, great report. Nice country up there.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 06-20-2006 at 07:18 AM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
humvee OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Doomed from the start, IMHO
Harsh, but we've got thick skin and expected a few hiccups (not a blown motor, but a few hiccups)

In his defence, he did put on 600 trouble-free km's before we left. Coming into Saskatoon he was at WOT into a stiff headwind which we figure resulted in the sacrificed motor.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Ouch. Thanks for recounting the tale, and not just sweeping it under the rug like you could have.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Hammer69
Silly Gapper

Oddometer: 62
If you ever try again, maybe I'll join you. I'm in Dauphin and you could pick me up on the way. I'd have to ride all the way to Winnipeg with you and then back to Dauphin after leaving you guys though.

I got all excited when I saw this report.

Someone that actuallly lives in my neck of the world.
Hammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:25 PM   #7
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Ouch. Thanks for recounting the tale, and not just sweeping it under the rug like you should have.
Fixed
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
dynamos2000
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
great report, loved it
Old 06-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
motoged
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 865
The Narrows

Photo shoot at “The Narrows” A narrow tract of land/bridge in the middle of Lake Manitoba. An intelligent conversation with a young lad at the site went like this:

Child: What’s that?
H#1: This (Camelback straw). It’s a straw that goes to a waterpack on my back, like a backpack
H#1: In case I get thirsty
H#1: **confused look*
Child: **notices shoulder badges of FG Kili** Are you a cop?
H#1: No

#'s 1, 2, &3,

As someone who grew up in Ashern and Winnipeg, I can understand the nature of this adventure.....as most Manitobans have a great sense of adventure. However, some just never pull it off....and that seems to be the curse for some (like that guy who paddled down the Mississippi to Mexico and then tipped over in the Arctic....good idea, poorly executed)
. I have had friends and relatives come to visit me here in B.C. but turn back at Canmore because they are afraid to drive in the mountains....the rest make it here and don't return to the prairies.

I have ridden that route a few times on return trips to visit family....and continue to appreciate the subtle beauty of the prairies....and to hate the Manitoba gumbo....why even put knobbies on the bike....if it's wet, don't get off the pavement.....as for #3, I see you didn't use the floor mats to get out of the ditch....gee, truck in the ditch, motorcycles fallen over on the shoulder and three guys standing around in the ditch in the dark....sounds like a typical prairie party to me.

Last time I rode back home was 4 years ago on my GS1100....and I had enough grasshoppers splattered on my bike to feed the wasps for weeks, even after detailing the bike ....if the bugs and headwinds don't get ya, a sugar beet falling off a truck is bound to.

Good effort, guys....I hope you replace the gaskets with new ones next time after the rebuild...and work out the other bugs....

Once I left Winnipeg (1973), I whetted my adventure appetite through motorcycling....some recent pics of that may be viewed at:

http://motoged.smugmug.com/

or a few trip reports:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124833&highlight=motoged
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125821&highlight=motoged

Good luck on your next pre-IB ride....the loop south along the US border westwards towards Alberta is a nice ride....antelope grazing in southern Alberta....just like Africa.....and you get to go through towns like Climax and Big Beaver (no, they don't have hats or T-shirts, but they should)....

Thanks for the story and pics,
Ged

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #10
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,233
I gotta admit, that's a much better report than if you guys had made it with no problems at all. How boring would that be?

Here's to next year, may your ride be boring and successful.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #11
JimWilliamson
Ya Hey Derr

Oddometer: 38
Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned - but it'll certainly be for memories later in life!

Fun read!
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,917
Nice job. Now you've got a great story to tell your little "bee bop"
Old 06-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
GSdreamer
Mtn. Man

Oddometer: 141
Thanks for the entertainment!