User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
Camarodude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Liquid Tape

Does anyone have any experience using "liquid tape"? There are a couple brands. I'm trying to repair a wire, where there was once a Posi-Tap connector, now just a hole in the insulation. Can't and dont want to remove the factory connector, otherwise I would use shrink tubing.

Thanks,
Camarodude
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #2
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,077
I use it often and it works great. Perfect for you application. I use the Peretex brand but I'm sure they're all similar.

A couple coats with a few minutes in between will work best.

Only negative with the stuff is I find it dries out in the can before it's 1/2 empty.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
I've used Liquid Electric Tape brand I think? Used it on my boat to cover seal the connections between the float switch and bilge pump wires. Wires lay in the salt water bilge. Worked good. Don't know how well it holds up to UV light though. Only real dissatisfaction I had with the stuff is once you open the cans brush lid the entire contents begin to cure and a few months later when you try to use it again it's one solid lump. So it's pretty expensive for a one time use/fix.
usgser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,077
Just a thought for a cheaper solution over the lquid tape, some rtv silicone. Most folks have some kicking around the garage.

A dab of that on there should work.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
16VGTIDave
blame Reaver...

Oddometer: 588
Works a treat if one makes sure to prepare the wires as if they were being painted. A good wipe with paint thinner on a rag is sufficient. Apply 3 or 4 coats, I find 1 or 2 coats isn't enough, letting each coat cure for 5 or so minutes. Longer in cold temps.

If one closes the can firmly with a pair of large pliers, it won't dry out. My can is 4 years old and gets used only when heat shrink tubing isn't viable.
16VGTIDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
AlH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post

Only negative with the stuff is I find it dries out in the can before it's 1/2 empty.
Yep- I find a good squirt of carb cleaner into the can, shake it, and it is good to go.
AlH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #7
BMWRich
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,694
Love the stuff!
Just used a touch last week on some trailer wiring,to seal some "probe holes".
Also used "quite extensively" during the Christmas Holiday Season.
Why??? You say.....friggin' Varmits nibblin' on the outdoor X-mas lighting.
Seems Mr or Mrs Rabbit likes eating that Chinese plastic coating on the wire.
Liquid sealer repairs the missing insulation quickly vs: trying to get the tape repairs to stick in the cold......
Old 05-26-2015, 08:04 PM   #8
Camarodude OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Thanks for the help. Great idea with the RTV. I'll try the liquid tape, since i know my RTV is probably all dried up.
Camarodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
EmBeeZedEx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
its a much better vinyl repair than most kinds of tape. Not top notch but like, one step up.
EmBeeZedEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #10
inverted
Berwyn rocks

Oddometer: 184
to stop it from curing in the can, store it somewhere cool. we keep ours in the shop fridge, lasts a lot longer until someone forgets it out on the bench...
inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,409
I've used it and RTV to do the same thing the OP is doing.

I've also been able to pull the pin and extract the wire from the plug, slip some heat shrink over the pin and wire and put the whole shebang back together.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:04 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,744
I had to fix a few wires last winter and right close from connectors I can't remove. I wasn't too happy buying such a quantity of "Permatex" liquid tape for just a few wires but what do you do?

My friend was saying...."Waste of $$$$, use RTV!" Well I did use the RTV, Permatex UltraBlack but just for comparison on piece of wire. Liquid tape is much better. Looks better and much harder to peel off than RTV.

I agree, works good to repair Vinyl if one is looking at creative uses for the leftovers.Makes me wonder if the rather cheap Vinyl repair stuff would work for wiring instead of the Liquid Tape?I'll give that a try when I get a chance.

Store the leftovers upside down? Seems to work for me but then the can is only 3 months old.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #13
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,636
I've used it on several occasions and it works well. My main use is for older electrical connectors where the plastic insulation is gone. The liquid tape is very durable. The permatex liquid electrical tape has MEK, Xylene, and Acetone as the solvents - which is why it comes in a metal can. Use in a well ventilated area.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #14
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Good stuff. Used it many times over many years. Had a car that had a mini electrical melt down. Re-insulated some of the melted wires in a few spots to avoid having to rewire the whole thing. Thought that would be good enough for a few more months. 20 years later I heard that car is still running around. My latest use, LED strip lighting. Outdoor use where I cut the strip. Little dip to seal it up.

I am looking at some right now. Had to make a rectifier for the light on the bike. Soldered the wires on and brushed the tape over everything to seal it up. Had issues as it was dirty DC and the LED light didn't like that. So added a cap. Scraped back the tape, soldered a little more wiring in place, sealed it all back up again.

For your needs a whole jar is a bit overkill, you only need a drop. But you will likely find uses for it after you have it.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #15
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
For your needs a whole jar is a bit overkill, you only need a drop....

I'd love it if you could get the stuff in little ketchup packets or even smaller quantities like disposable eye drops.

I've never had a container last very long; certainly not long enough to use more than 1% of it.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote