User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #151
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 19,166
Fantastic!

Fantastic trip, adventure, report, and pictures!

More imporant, it looks like you guys were having a great time no matter what adversity you had to deal with. Travel partners like the two of you make the trip that much better.
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:52 PM   #152
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,882
Guilty

You Mr. StovePipe---GasPipe----oh whatever ----are guilty of running all the stop signs from Arkansas thru Nevada, running 2-stroke gas in a 4-stroke, ruining 12 microwave ovens, polluting the atmosphere with smelly socks, not shaving for 18 days, drunken disorderly conduct, killing poor innocent crickets by the thousands (with a smile), impersonating Carl (Sling Blade--sure would like some of them french fried tators MMMMMmmmmmm), wasting food all across the country---ordering a full stack of pancakes and only eating one, pulling wheelies within 40 ft. of a cow, slinging cow dung on your riding buddy, farting at the drop of a hat, trespassing, threatening most of the general public "Some folks just need a killin' MMMMMMmmmmmm, riding a motorcycle with one hand and taking pictures with the other, vagrancy, no visible means of support and last but not least------running with a competely worn out countersprocket.

What do you think of yourself Mr. GasPipe---Huh ?? Huh ?? Huh ???

Guilty as charged--take him to St. Elmo and hang em' high !!!!

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #153
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Good sht, guys, continue, please.

Nice fun courtroom scenes...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM   #154
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
Judge Roy BigDog...... That's a hangin' offense, son.

Hey Bob, thanks for reading. Hope to see you and Heidi out there somewhere before long.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #155
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 13: Nevada Gives Us it's Best....

It was a soupy wet morning when we awoke in Battle Mountain. It had rained overnight, and was remarkable cool for this time of year. A couple cups of 'continental breakfast' and we were on the road out of town, gassed up, and headed off into the desert. The clouds parted, and a beautiful blue sky unfurled above us.

The first thing I noticed was that there was no dust. I smell a rat. But I'll enjoy it when I can, as this has been one dusty mofo for ol' Gaspipe

The weather was bright and clear - a distinct contrast from yesterday.

We made a big loop out south of Battle Mountain, and crossed under I-80 and the Union Pacific at Mote Siding. Suddenly, I felt I was riding outside Saigon in a rice paddy. How could it be this wet and lush in the desert?

The road was absolutely flooded. Every few hundred yards, we'd ride through a foot of water. I was getting a bad feeling about it. Rounding another curve, we stopped, stunned.

The Reese River had washed out the road the previous night. The road was washed away, and a turbid and fast flowing river was in its place. Mark consulted the GPS, and concluded that it'd be a 50+ mile diversion to get around this washout. Screw that, and I walked out into it.

Walking across it was nearly impossible due to the unstable bed below and the swift current above. This is pissing me off.

Mark also figured out that the Humboldt River was just 1/2 mile ahead, and we worried about how big that sumbich swelled.

I've been through worse, but with bikes with much higher air intakes. I busted off a piece of railroad tie from a splintered bit of flotsam, and probed the river a bit more.

We can do this, but we'll need both of us to get each each bike across.

First across was the XR - Mark was downstream on the tail, and I was on the throttle and clutch. I started the bike and we idled it across while we walked it across and up the other bank. The current tried to sweep it away, but the two of us could hold it.

Mark's bike was next, same exact fashion. Success.

The Humboldt actually has a timber bridge. Although the river had run over the bridge during the night, the road was passable.

Mother Nature had thrown us a few zingers on this trip, but we adapted and overcame - just like the book says.

If the railroad is here, it's lowest point for miles.

Onward into the desert we went, approaching the Snowstorm Mountains. Are ya sure this is the trail? Sure looks, ahhh, untraveled.....maybe abandoned is the right word....

---more later----

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 01:57 PM
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #156
Deerhntr
nO nOOB

Oddometer: 45
Thanks for another fine evening of reading about the adventures of Bigdog and Gaspipe. Looks like we'll have at least one more evening of good reading.
Deerhntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:05 PM   #157
lasvegasrider
Scotty, I need more power

Oddometer: 2,091
Cool2

Hey Bruce - thanks for taking my call tonight, and as expected, the court room scene was a welcome addition to the fantastic ride you and Mark enjoyed for many of us on advrider.com

As you know, I missed riding with you on this trip as my wife and I were commited elsewhere. I especially missed riding with you on the segment in Northern Nevada - most people believe Nevada to be a wasteland and you got a taste of the real Nevada - it provides an excellent 'raw' environment for outdoor activity and is surreal in its vistas and terrain.

While most areas in the US are OHV park admin/USFS/BLM micromanaged due to anti-access efforts by urban eco groups, much of Nevada is still great for riding in 'adventure' mode due to the lack of population and goverment/activist intrusion. I have hunted in Northern Nevada for decades, and I am happy that you now know what my brother and I experience every year during hunting season.

High-desert riding in Nevada is generally free from the intrusions that are creating negative pressures for us riders in other western states and makes it similar to our Mexico rides in the "ride free" context. No-one messes with ya, because no-one is paid to do so in most areas of my state.

Anyway, let me know how the Gerardo call goes.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #158
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,424
Keep it coming Guys. I spent the nite in Eureka, Nev. a few years back ('04) coming back from a Washington State trip via N. California on the BMW. Neat place. But then I tend to fine something neat about every place I end up in when traveling.

I think I liked my old DR350SE more than the DRZ400SE I bought later in thought of replaceing the KLR650 with it. Put on a 4 gal tank, corbin seat, bar risers, jet kit, etc. Just never like the way it delivered the power. Spun up the rear much too easy in the loose stuff where the KLR would just tractor thru. Probably would of liked it more if I was about 20 years younger. ;-).. About the only place it shined above the KLR was on the erosion rutted back trails and roads in the Ozarks where I was testing it. But on gravel I found the KLR easier to handle. So, it went up for sale and the KLR remains. Ha ha ha ha.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #159
RideMoore
New Adventuer

Oddometer: 5
Wicked

Great report, can't wait for the rest
RideMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #160
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Laugh Day 13: Where The Hell Is the Trail???

After fording the Reese River and traversing the valley, the trail became rather difficult to follow. It's pretty obvious that few, if anyone, ever comes through these old wagon ruts anymore. One more time, thanks to Mr. Garmin and Roads and Rec & Topo.

So far, Nevada has been the shining star of this trip. Each day provided us progressively better riding and more remote locations. Nevada is I almost hate to finish it.

The plan today is to get up to McDermitt and get gas, then make a plan for furtherance if necessary. McDermitt is right on the Oregon border and not too far away, but the riding looks fairly rugged and desolate out here.

A path so bold you can't see it

Going....

Going....

Gone!

I had to laugh out loud to myself - the trail is all but gone! The smell of smashing through the sage permeates the air....

It was tricky to follow, but if you really paid attention, you could almost see the tracks. It was sort of like the "Emperor's New Clothes". Panic, turn back? Nope, we are not completely without skills.

Or are we?

The road reappears from time to time, but isn't what you'd know *for sure* was the right way. So, being the stubborn bastages that we are, we'd keep going, more often than not right on the money. Once again, it appears we're not completely without skills. Another stop for a chain adjustment preoccupies me for a bit. Am I going to make it on this chain?

Many arroyos traverse our path, but present not more than a wheel and boot cleaning exercise at this point.

Out near Chimney Dam Reservoir, Mark's bike shears off a footpeg bolt, and Mark expertly rigs up a Mexicanada repair worthy of Vicente Fox himself. It holds the rest of the trip!

Confidence inspiring messages from the Nevada DOT fall on deaf ears and we take on the mountains above Paradise Valley in the Humboldt Toiyabe National Forest.

Road? We don' need no steeenkin' road....... We call this not double track, not single track, but no track.

The riding today is more often than not slow, technical riding. The trail is often obscured by the local fauna, and the damned gophers and prairie dogs have been hard at work creating endless endo-of-death booby traps for us. They failed.

One more time, it's utterly amazing to me that there is absolutely nothing out here. As you crest one ride, another nameless empty valley unfurls before you. Climb another ridge, and the same result. I wonder how the original settlers kept the faith and kept going. It's rugged, barren terrain, the kind of place a rattlesnake wouldn't want to live.

But I would.

Snow in Nevada - in mid-June. The Santa Rosa Range seems to have gotten a good snowpack, and we're riding up into it. Everytime I look at the GPS, McDermitt seems to be no closer. Switchbacks conspire to rob us of fuel and daylight, precluding us from our destination.

---more later---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 02:09 PM
Old 06-25-2006, 10:40 PM   #161
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegasrider

High-desert riding in Nevada is generally free from the intrusions that are creating negative pressures for us riders in other western states and makes it similar to our Mexico rides in the "ride free" context. No-one messes with ya, because no-one is paid to do so in most areas of my state.
Around the Great Basin '07......

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #162
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Guilty as charged--take him to St. Elmo and hang em' high !!!!

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-25-2006, 10:45 PM   #163
Wayne Weber
why are we stopping?

Oddometer: 3,854
OK I'm only on page 3 and this report and adventure rocks!!! 6 stars for this one!!

Good job,

signed,

Ride Report slacker

04 KTM 950 S
93 KTM 550
93 XT225 Adventure Serow!
00 Weber Rally Twin (www.rallytwin.com)
Gas Gas 270
2 Waterbuffalo's (Sold!)
Wayne Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:25 PM   #164
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
GasPipe - how do you like the Simpson GS3 lid?
I have two of them. One set up for goggles, one for a shield. The goggle one is three seasons old and I am going to retire it to the wall of fame in the garage. I'll probably buy another one after that. I like it more than my XD (which was stolen) for the more dirt oriented rides anyway.

The things are on sale now for $169 with a shield, or $69 w/o!

Good lid for $170, IMHO.

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #165
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,897
Great report, lovin it.

I live a few hours north of Elko, it shure is a nice place to take a dual sport ride in the desert after work. Its the last really remote area of the country, its not going to last that much longer.

progress in on the way. Some one just bought all the land at the base of this little hill and they plan to build 5,000 homes here. ouch...
mars is offline   Reply With Quote