I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #32
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,350
Boise City, one dusty afternoon.....

An interesting fact about Boise City:

Boise City, Oklahoma was one of three cities in the United States to be bombed during World War II. On Monday night, July 5, 1943, at approximately 12:30 a.m., a B-17 Bomber based at Dalhart Army Air Base (50 miles to the south of Boise City) dropped six practice bombs on the sleeping town. The practice bombs weighed 100 pounds each and contained four pounds of powder - the rest was sand. Several locations across town display the remains of these bombs.

The next day, officials from the Dalhart Army Air Base visited Boise City and explained that the plane had been assigned to drop bombs on a range near Conlen, Texas, about 30 miles south of Boise City, but somehow got off their mark and mistook the four street lights around the courthouse in the center of town for the lights of their target.

Remember the Alamo, remember Pearl Harbor, and for Lord's sake - - remember Boise City!"

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #33
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,776
Yes he is---and a good roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtrider
Your on a roll!!!!

I was there----and I am in anticipation of what will come out of this mans camera and head

Hey---I just got a $238 plumbing bill from a motel in Oklahoma-----man I don't know if I could afford this ride. The thought of the one from Nevada has me nervous---knew I should've packed a plunger.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #34
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 3 - The Rockies begin.

Once again, we were up before dawn and at the edge of town sipping coffee at the truckstop. We fueled up, lubed the chains and I swapped out my air filter for the spare one I brought along. Dust sucks.

New Mexico is just a few miles up the road, err....trail....path?

The New Mexico state line. Funny. No dancing girls, party, ribbon cutting, booze. Nothing. Did these folks not know we were coming? How could this be?

We met a curious fella driving down an ugly dirt road in a golf cart. His wife had a chihuahua stuffed down the neck of her shirt, and what appeared to be their grandson with them. No houses for miles. I never did figure out what that was all about, but he was funny as hell, and we had a few laughs with them.

As we turned north at the border, the biggest mudhole I have ever seen blocked the entire road. We ended up riding through the neighboring field to get past it after negotiating the barbed wire.

Bienvenidos a Nuevo Mexico!

The flat agricultural fields and grid pattern roads quickly gave way to rolling range land. It is stunning to see how fast the topology changes as we head west, gaining altitude the whole way.

Antelope become as common as the cattle, ranging across the landscape.

Canyons and mountains begin, visually stunning after the mind-numbing 700 miles of rather flat Oklahoma.

We only cross a little bit of New Mexico, but the part we crossed was beautiful.

Looking out across Long Canyon.

Up 'til now, the riding has been rather easy. It's been fast, but very few sections required much skill, and I was re-evaluating my choice of bike. The XR650R is capable, reliable and fast, but not able to carry much, and really not what you'd pick for riding endless miles.

Long Canyon road changed my mind back - this is no place for a big GS. Ruts, holes and rocks would quickly conspire to destroy a big bike and just plain wear out the rider. The big singles were beginning to shine.

And then we crossed into Colorado.

We sure look miserable, don't we?

---more---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:22 AM
Old 06-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #35
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM   #36
InfoManiac
Always Learning

Oddometer: 5,889
Great Report!!!

Smugmug coupon ----- 5w5TPcXpTtBdw --- Save $5.00!!
InfoManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #37
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

The KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Question: I follow all your rides (you lucky bastard ), so why not the KLR this time?
I had the KLR ready to go in case I changed my mind---it was a hard decision to make. As you will find out later on in the ride----the terrain turned brutal in places----deep mud----washed out roads---big loose rocks on very long very steep climbs.

My decision to take the Husky was spot on---so was GasPipes decision to take his bike. We both agreed on this point. The bike were incredibly similar in performance and ability. My only drawback was a small gas tank---I did run into gas issues as you will see--but we made do.

Me and my KLR would have survived the ride but at a much much slower pace. I can remember at least 8 or 10 places in which I had to immediately loft my front wheel to keep from endoing into a washed out trail---the KLR just won't do that--but then I probably would have been going much slower.

We both agreed we would make the same choices doing it again.

I would have rather stayed home and watched Home Shopping Network on the couch with a TV remote in my hand than to try and ride my 950 on the Western portion.

If I took my KLR---gaspipe was going to take a different bike too--as we would have been imcompatible riding partners-------not good.

If the Husky had been broke down---I would have happily took my trusty KLR and had a ball.
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-23-2006 at 12:16 PM
Old 06-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #38
Zen Slug
Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,947
Lookin great so far!

really makes me want a husky

Zen Slug's Rides

Join the ADV TooL PooL!
Zen Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:25 PM   #39
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
See those flip flops under the cargo net ???? GasPipe never crashed on his bike thru the whole trip. But the flip flops were another story-----they were about 3 inches too long---I witnessed 4 endos-----3 flying W's--and 6 high sides in those things---they finally went in the dumpster before he killed himself---then he had to spend the rest of the ride going to breakfast in shorts--T-shirt---and moto boots---quite the sight I'm telling you

Gaspipe,

I have the FENGBU'S and I am holding them hostage...waiting for a big ransom payoff...

If you ever want to see them again...SEND BEER!!!!!

Great Report Guys!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #40
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

You monster!

However, I do not negotiate with terrorists. Kill them.

The new flip-flops were worse than the infamous Fengbu of Baja shoes. I finally threw them away, as I risked my life everytime I wore them. The shorts, t-shirt and MX boot outfit was wildly successful

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #41
cRAsH
Banned

Oddometer: 19,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
You monster!

However, I do not negotiate with terrorists. Kill them.

The new flip-flops were worse than the infamous Fengbu of Baja shoes. I finally threw them away, as I risked my life everytime I wore them. The shorts, t-shirt and MX boot outfit was wildly successful

You guys kill me.
cRAsH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 PM   #42
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRAsH

You guys kill me.
Therefore he must be a terrorist?.......

great thread. keep it coming.

GasPipe - how do you like the Simpson GS3 lid?

Spanish Bob screwed with this post 06-23-2006 at 01:20 PM
Spanish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM   #43
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 3 - Afternoon in the Rockies!

The TE610 has a small fuel tank. It was *THE* only reason I didn't buy one and decided to build an XR650R. However, Mark and I planned fuel/food/motel stops that didn't require us to leave the route by more than just a few miles, and allowed us to stay within the Husky's fuel range.

Almost.

However, this was the first real 'stretch' on gas.

As we crossed into Colorado, and rode through several beautiful high plains valleys, we had each calculated, seperately, that the Husky was going to be close. Real close. The next fuel was Trinidad, CO, and we last got fuel in Boise City, OK. The first town we reached (or people we saw) since we left this morning was Branson, CO.

There was certainly no gas station here, but there were some folks milling about, and Mark set out to snag a gallon of gas one way or another.

Success found Mark and rewarded him with a half gallon of chainsaw gas from a local logger - something I found wildly entertaining as I could smell the 2 stroke oil from his exhaust as I followed along behind him. The bike digested it just fine.

We passed through Trinchera and Abeyta on our way into the edge of Trinidad. The Spanish Peaks came into view. I'd not seen them in over 20 years. I used to live in this area of Colorado and New Mexico, and those Peaks were no strangers to me. It was, however, strange to see them all but devoid of snow so early in the year.

With this little snow, the Rockies should be a piece of cake.

Gassed and watered up, we headed off northwest following an old railroad bed up a nameless canyon, past long forgotten mining claims.

The Breasts of the Earth [The Spanish Peaks] dominated the horizon all day. It stirred some feelings in me - like coming home after a long, long time. I did *feel* like I was coming home.

During a break, Mark and I discussed a diversion down into New Mexico to visit some of my property. I'd not been there in 20 years, but it would add a couple hundred miles to the ride into an area where I was fairly sure there were no accomodations of any sort. With a bit of a lump in my throat, we pressed onward. I'll get there some other time. Maybe later this summer , but that'll be another story.

This area was very dry - like a tinderbox. It won't take much to get some bad fires going here. I'm glad my XR was fitted with a spark arrestor.

Everywhere we rode this day, the Spanish Peaks were with me, like an old friend.

As we neared the small town of La Veta, we decided to stop for a meal, and that evolved into looking for a motel. The nice one was over $100 - a bit rich for common dirt bikers like us. So we found a converted mobile home for $45. It had a hot shower and A/C - and TWO beds. Good enough for us!

After a bit of maintenance on the bikes followed by a shower, including the laundry waffle stomp, found us wandering back out to get a couple beers and the usual screwing around.

Watch it Mark, those Indians mean business.

We watched the sun set, and wandered back to the, ahhh, 'motel' to hole up for the night.

When was the last time you watched a TV that had a dial and no remote?

I think we made about 200 miles today - a short day, but we needed the extra rest.

---more---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:28 AM
Old 06-23-2006, 02:39 PM   #44
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Onward Ho

Yes---the New Mexico scenery was looking better all the time
I love New Mexico and it was my favorite state while riding the Continental Divide Trail last year.

We climbed up the mountains and were surprised to find a little pavement down the other side down into the basin. It was 2nd and 3rd gear switchbacks all the way down.

Before entering Colorado we ran up Long Canyon road. Just up the road it turned into a steep climb into the mountains with large loose rocks. Momentum was your friend and you needed to try and keep into no lower than 2nd gear. If you slowed down you would spin out and have to go down and start all over. Me and GasPipe both said we could have not made the clilmb on a big bike. It was nothing but fun for the big singles. My "Terror Flex" tire was flinging baseball size rocks everywhere. I would of hated to be behind me.

Just passed the Colorado border we came into the little town of Branson, Colorado--Population 78.
I was low on gas and didn't know if I could make it to the next gas. We poked around town for 10 minutes and finally found some nice guys who sold me about 1/2 gallon of chain saw gas---I was glad to get it. 3 times on this ride we would put chain saw gas in our bikes.
Here we have the local jail. We better move on as we heard the Oklahoma posse was hot on our trail for running those stop signs.
How many you ask ?????????? All of them.
Branson sits to where the plains to the North meet the Mesas of the South. Branson was a bustling farming and ranching community once upon a time---but never recovered from the dust bowl era.

We made it to Trinidad, Colorado for gas and continued on as the interstate was just too close for comfort. We finally rolled into Laveta, Colorado and got a room at the Wagon Wheel Resort.

Out of Laveta the next morning we rode farther up into the mountains just East of Laveta Pass on a dirt road where a 50 year old nail was waiting for GasPipe.
Everybody has there own method for fixing flats and I found GasPipes method included lots of those really bad words---lots of them........seemed to make things go easier for him----I kind of stood my distance and dove into help when I thought it was safe.
Flat Number one---------I think. We would need more than one hand to count the times we pulled a tube out.
We patched it--------which would haunt us later on--not much later on.

The Honda was tuned for horsepower---lots of it. However this was a little rich for the 8 to 10,000 ft. altitudes we were in.
It finally fouled a plug going down hill with the throttle off.
This took some extra cursing but worked really well.
GasPipes high dollar carb was externally adjustable. A little turn of the screw and his jetting was no longer a problem the rest of the trip.

Well you don't want to hear what he had to say here.
When he came up missing I went back looking for him and he already had the tire off without tire irons (I had them) and was buffing the failed patch spot with a rock.
I think he was getting use to this---he better--there was more to come.
Bike lifts were available everywhere.

My God it was getting beautiful. We've road Colorado a lot and were to ride some different areas neither of us had been to.
It was so nice and cool with no humidity---we were happy campers.

Into Salida, Colorado for the night. Gaspipe was running out of tubes and I was out of rear tire. My front non DOT Dunlop held up for the whole ride and wasn't completely wore out after over 3,000 miles. We cleaned the local ATV dealer out of tubes as GasPipe put a new tube in his rear tire having to take it off again.
But first we had to get the "Tera-Flex" off my bike. We worked together and it was the hardest tire me or him had ever removed. The sun was on us early in the morning and we were getting hot-----I mean hot. It would have been a good video of us wrestlng the "Terror Flex"----------however it just wasn't funny. I will never ever use another Terror Flex----I would have never got it off by myself in the bush---this tire is for the locals boys--not for adventure riders--although it was fun while it lasted.
See that farm tool--if not for that we would have never got it off the rim. I had to put on a cheesy cheap Cheng Shen but it was all they had. The gal at the shop said the local boys loved this tire----yeah it'd be fine if you never got over 300 ft. from your pickup riding around in circles all day..

We failed several Colorado passes today-----Hancock and Tomichi which were both on our routes were snowed in. We had to backtrack to Cottonwood pass which is an easy pass and rode 12 miles straight down the switch backs into Taylor Park where we conjured up a cabin for the night. It was off season or we would have never got a cabin as they are spoken for a year or two in advance.

It was way to early to quit riding----we dumped some gear and headed up towards Tincup Pass which we heard was closed from the East--but we headed up the West side just to check it out. On the way we passed beautiful Mirror Lake.

Yep----Tincup is snowed in. We never listen.

It was a fun ride up there---big bikes need not apply--the rocks were brutal. Here GasPipe is riding thru the creek flowing into Mirror Lake.
I have been here several times but GasPipe hadn't and he was having a ball.

Tincup, Colorado
It wasn't untill the 1850's that prospectors settle in this area searching for gold.
All the old cabins in the town have been restored to their original condition and the town has the look and feel of 1850.
Only 2 residents stary here for the winter. They must be very hearty individuals as thru most of the winter you will be in complete isolation.

Tincup Church

Tincup Homes

The town got it's name when an early prospector carried out his gold dust in a "TinCup".
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-23-2006 at 02:46 PM
Old 06-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #45
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Taylor Park Mexican meal to die for

Besides being so darn good looking (when he has his teeth in--all 2 of them) GasPipe is an very good cook and went to the store, returning with a bag of groceries and whipped us up a Mexican delight while I laid on the bed ---"Is it ready yet" ????
"No----don't ask again--and get me a beer"

There was no cellphone service here------no TV or remote control to tempt you--just piece and guiet. We slept like babies as the little gas heater kept us nice and cozy.

I put my ear plugs in as GasPipe turned on the snoring machine.

We left way too early to eat at the nice log cabin restaurant there. Heck they didn't open till 8AM---we could have 2 or 3 hours of riding done by then !!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-23-2006 at 04:10 PM