Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #46
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
You monster!

However, I do not negotiate with terrorists. Kill them.

The new flip-flops were worse than the infamous Fengbu of Baja shoes. I finally threw them away, as I risked my life everytime I wore them. The shorts, t-shirt and MX boot outfit was wildly successful
aaahahh! Great report guys! I'd like to ride the TransAm trail one day too!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #47
Sod Buster
prairie rider

Oddometer: 5,389
Big Dog, and Gaspipe, Great report and pics!

To go long on those type of bikes is awesome, myself and some freinds rode from eastern Kansas to Moab a few years back, i rode my LC4 on that trip and would have to say i had more fun than if i had taken my GS.

Again great ride and report guys!

A couple of pics from our ride.

Sod Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #48
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
Day 4 - 'Scuse Me, While I Kiss The Sky....

Once again, we were up early and ready to roll. We headed to the gas station, fueled up, and got a cup of coffee to get things moving. Sipping hot coffee and shaking out the cobwebs, we had a nice view of the Spanish Peaks again as we sat on some hard plastic seats inside the gas station.

The woman running the show had indicated that she was worried about water - the snow pack on the Peaks was already gone, and that's where La Veta's water supply is from. She opined that the fires would be bad this year.

Caffeined and fueled, we ripped out of town, heading for our first big climbs. Mark's Teraflex is looking pretty wiped out, but it still has adequate boulder tossing capability, and I stay back a ways to avoid the dust - and rocks.

About thirty miles out, and at least thirty miles from anywhere, next to an abandoned ranch, it happened. At about 40mph, the rear tire deflated so rapidly, it was a blowout. A wierd vibration shook the XR, and I wallowed to a stop. A nail, hell - damn near a spike, appeared to have been laying out there for decades waiting for me to come by and run me through. The SOB was so big, it tore off most of my mud guard too.

After changing the tube with my new cheapo Kenda spare, we probably put a thousand strokes of air in with the bicycle pump. Something was wrong. Out comes the tube again. The MSR fender bag that I had it stored in rubbed a 1/2" hole in the tube. $%#@*&!! Damnit!

I've never had much luck with patches, but I've now got no choice. I patch the tube with the 1/4" hole from the spike. I'm leary, but the thing holds air and we're off. Many, many unsavory and lewd remarks were made, insulting the tire, tube and the intransigent bastages and their families that left that nail there for me.

It made me feel much better about things. For a while.

The scenery soothed my temper, and we rode on.

Soon enough, we crested the first 10,000+ foot pass, and the XR was not happy. Not at all.

Some creative throttle maneuvering allowed me to get over the pass, but the closed throttle engine braking down the other side finally fouled the plug. Where's my spare? In a UPS box sitting at the house - it arrived a day late Once again, many foul and nasty words spewed forth from my mouth.

We luckily had a picnic table nearby, and I removed the seat and tank of the Honda, and leaned out the Edelbrock 4 more clicks. I leaned it two clicks before I left, but that certainly wasn't enough. I pulled the plug, which was a sooty mess.

I used a zip tie to clean the plug (it works), re-installed the plug, tank and seat. The pig fired on the first kick, ready to rock 'n roll.

Another hour lost.

We rode down into a beautiful valley to get gas and lunch. Westcliffe is as picturesque a place as you'll ever find. A tank of gas, a bowl of chili and a refill of our Camelbacks gets us back on the road.

We crossed US50 at Cotapaxi, and headed into the mountains again.

Out of the corner of my eye, hidden in an Aspen grove, was an ATK! WTF? I took a look at it, and then decided to ride on to catch up to Mark. Rounding a corner at about 60mph, it sounded like a gunshot! Blowout! The bike swapped a couple times and I coasted to a stop. The blowout was violent enough that it broke the bead. Made it easier for me, as long as I didn't break my neck.

Once again, I removed the rear wheel. No tire irons, so I used a couple of open end wrenches to get the bead off and get the tube out. The patch blew off.

Flat with a view.....

Many more horrific, vile words were chanted, and before long, Mark came back with the patch kit. By then, I'd buffed out the tube with a piece of pumice I found on the road. Patch me baby, one more time. We chatted a bit as I was reinstalling the tire and wheel, and I indicated that I really didn't want to press on without changing the tube, *and* getting a spare before we head back out. Mark was needing a rear tire anyway, so we decided to hole up in Salida for the night, with promises of a bike shop in town - the fellow that owned the ATK came back for the bike with his pickup and told us of a bike shop in Salida.

We found a cool motel, two doors down from the bike shop. What luck! A pizza and a couple beers were had as we watched the sun set, our waffle stomp laundry drying in the cool breeze. Life with dirt bikes is a good thing.

Ya just gotta love neon signs, too.

---more---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:38 AM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:06 PM   #49
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I enjoyed reading about the trials and tribulations. That's real....
great ride, guys!
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #50
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Day 5 - Obstacle or Adventure?

We were again up early, but with nothing to do until the bke shop opened up. Let's get breakfast! The Patio Pancake joint had the best darned pancakes of the whole trip.

We needed to kill some time, but Mark and I stopped looking at younger women. Unfortunately, we started back up again. We had to leave before we got into trouble there.

We loitered around the bike shop for a half hour before the proprietor's wife showed - about 20 minutes late, at the crack of 0920. Mark, being the slave to fashion, soon succumbed to the new gaspipe look, and we were looking all sorts of sporting in our shorts, t-shirts and MX boots. We're lucky we weren't locked up.

No tubes of the correct size, but any tube is better than a patched tube. I bought two. Mark got a cheapo Cheng Shin death tire to replace the TeraFlex, and we set off to work.

That Teraflex is one steeeenkin' sumbitch to get off. Trust me on this. We needed three tire irons, a screwdriver, and a root axe to get that thing off. For that reason, I'd never take one on a long trip like this, despite the longevity or performance. Just my $0.02.

By noon, we were on the trail again, freshly shod or tubed as the case may be. We were not totally without skills.

Hancock and Tomichi passes are our next conquests, and we motor off up the former Denver, South Park and Pacific Railroad bed, past St. Elmo, gaining altitude.

Before long, the railroad bed turned away towards the Alpine Tunnel (closed) where the railroad eventually went to Gunnison, while we went up to Hancock Pass, the miner's route.

It wasn't long before we knew we were in for a struggle. The road is rocky and steep. And still full of snow.

The snow accumulated fast, in excess of six feet and soft. We were a couple miles from the summit, and we realized we weren't getting through on motorcycles after struggling in the snow for a bit.

We need to find another way............

---more in a bit---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:43 AM
Old 06-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #51
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,894
Hurry..........

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #52
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Reluctantly, we retrace our tracks back to St. Elmo, where we find Tincup pass is also snowed in.

No machines plow or dig out these passes - they clear out using solar energy only. I have to admit, I was somewhat surprised how much snow lingered on here after seeing the Spanish Peaks all clear already.

Make sure you pay your tab in St. Elmo, lest you be the man of honor in the next necktie party.

Well, we need to find yet another way. Undaunted, we set out for another pass. We're going to get over this range one way or the other.......

---more---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:44 AM
Old 06-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #53
Two Dot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Ok, they are up for AUCTION then...

What are a pair of genuine GASPIPE sandals worth???

All proceeds go to Ozymandias fund.

Remember...bid early and bid often
Old 06-23-2006, 05:28 PM   #54
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Dot

What are a pair of genuine GASPIPE sandals worth???
About $3 in Mexicali?

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #55
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,663
How did we get there doing this???

Surely people are wondering-------how in the heck are they going to get to the Oregon coast like this ??????
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:07 PM   #56
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Surely people are wondering-------how in the heck are they going to get to the Oregon coast like this ??????
We're not totally without skills, or are we?

We endeavor to persevere.

Hair of the dog....
Old 06-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #57
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Oh yea! This is good, real good. Some day... Some Day. I hope MotoChick doesn't read this. She's already pissed at me.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:28 PM   #58
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,663
Otis

Hey StovePipe----My wife says you look like Otis------------ala Andy Griffith. I'd take that as a compliment---Otis was a good guy--he just liked his Tecate too much.

Is that a booger in your hand ????
You could stop up a toilet with that thing
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.

BigDogAdventures screwed with this post 06-23-2006 at 06:41 PM
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #59
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmnate
Oh yea! This is good, real good. Some day... Some Day. I hope MotoChick doesn't read this. She's already pissed at me.

Nate
Oh really? Maybe you missed the pictures showing SNOW!!!!

2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #60
gaspipe OP
Wandering Soul

Undaunted, we are.

Mark recalls that we can take Cottonwood Pass over the range and into Taylor Lake. That sure sounds better than slabbing it. Cottonwood is an easy ride, probably the easiest way over the Sawatch Range other than Independence or Monarch (both paved) passes.

Even on knobs, we have a fun little roadrace thing going on up the paved side of Cottonwood to the summit, rain threatening the whole way. Knobs howling, we reach the summit to find a group of dirt bikers up there - but stuck in cages for the day.

We chatted a bit about the TransAm Trail and bikes, and they were kind enough to take a pic of us both at 12,120 ft.

They also told us that there was a cabin available down at Taylor Park Reservoir. These things are usually reserved a year or two ahead of time, so we figured we'd give it a go and see if we could get one.

Heading down towards the Taylor River valley....

The road down is smooth, well graded and FAST!

Taylor Park Reservoir is part of the Umcompahgre Project, a system of water management canals and dams to control the waters of the Uncompaghre and Gunnison Rivers. Man made.

A cabin was secured, some groceries procured.....but there's some daylight left. And the sky looks juicy. Something is blowing into the area....

Let's go see how far up Tincup Pass we can get.

Mirror Lake. Unfortunately it was too windy with a storm blowing in for us to see the 'mirror' part.

Well, the folks in St. Elmo weren't lying. Tincup *was* snowed in but good.

The XR was willing, but the coefficient of friction wasn't there to support us. Stuck in the snow we were.

I promised Mark I'd cook us something since the cafe was closed and Cheetos and beer didn't sound so appetizing. But not before we got a look around Tincup, which Mark described in an earlier post.

Big speed back to the cabin, the road empty.

My workplace, for the next hour or so. What's on the menu? Sausage and green chili burritos. And a couple or five Coors. I even heated the tortillas over an open flame, and a meal was had. Slim pickens at the grocery store, but there was enough there to create a tasty meal.

A cold front came through, creating rain, wind, and near freezing temps. The poor XR was tucked in close to the shack, and I gave it a beer to ward off the chill of the night.

Mark and I formulated a plan to try to get back on-route since we've been diverted by the snowed in passes so far. But it'll wait until morning.

We drifted off to sleep, the rain pelting the single pane windows and the wind howling around the cabin.....

---more later---

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 08-24-2007 at 09:52 AM