User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,312
TKC80 Life

On average, based on maybe 50% slab / 50% dirt, how many miles can I expect from a rear TKC80?
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
2volts
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D
On average, based on maybe 50% slab / 50% dirt, how many miles can I expect from a rear TKC80?
5,000+
2volts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #3
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Oddometer: 2,081
Next time - do a search. third button from the right in orange that says search.

How long is a piece of string?

I dont mean to be rude, but have you any idea how many times tyre mileage questions get asked? 5000 for me also max but there are people here who can make them last millions of miles. fronts on average I get slightly less than 2 x that.

Too many variables, hard riding versus slow, high speed sections tend to de-knob knobblies.....its very hard to say you yourself will be your best gauge.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
utahbeemer
World Traveler

Oddometer: 4
Tire life

I bought a new set in march and by april 24 they were half wore out 1500 miles 80 road 20 dirt. It depends on the bike and the way you ride. 2004 R1150 GS Adv I now have a set of wheels for dirt and a set for road, expensive but it works.
utahbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
Next time - do a search. third button from the right in orange that says search.

How long is a piece of string?

I dont mean to be rude, but have you any idea how many times tyre mileage questions get asked? 5000 for me also max but there are people here who can make them last millions of miles. fronts on average I get slightly less than 2 x that.

Too many variables, hard riding versus slow, high speed sections tend to de-knob knobblies.....its very hard to say you yourself will be your best gauge.
Did 2 searches - First, TKC80 - Second TKC80 Mileage

Came up with 1,000 threads, none of which answered my question.

Next time - just ignore me - - that will take even less of your obviously precious time.

Sincerely sorry to have wasted it.............

Oh yea - and thanks for your answer, it does help.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
YEM
You Enjoy Myself

Oddometer: 159
. . . . DOH!! . . . .
YEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:08 PM   #7
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Did 2 searches - First, TKC80 - Second TKC80 Mileage

Came up with 1,000 threads, none of which answered my question.

Next time - just ignore me - - that will take even less of your obviously precious time.

Sincerely sorry to have wasted it.............

Oh yea - and thanks for your answer, it does help.
My time isnt precious.

if you searched and found nothing then somebody should take the search engine and shoot it.

Also be careful of tyre pressures under inflation on road with TKCs means low mileage for sure.

If you do very high speeds (100+) the tyre will be a slick quick. Apart from high speed the tyre is very sensitive to acceleration and braking. That doesn´t mean ride slow, just that the knobs deform and cup with speed changes and the front for me at 8000miles for me is a random show of lumps.

Also if slab means straights they dont last long. If slab includes lots of bends they can last as long as a tourance, anakee or longer.

I find them very good in the wet and they warm up quite quickly.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #8
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:

Hi Mike

Search'n sometimes works and sometimes sucks, don't worry about ask'n. If we never asked the same questions again on this site we would have run out of topics 3 years ago

TKC life, there are some who will swear they get 5K +, I ran a lot of sets and I never did. After 1,500-2,000 the rear was no longer any good for dirt. I could run another 1,000 or so after that, but why. I bought a second set of wheels and mounted TKC's on one set and Tourances on the other. Took me about 15 min to switch 'um.

BTW, this was on an 1150 gs

If you have never run a set you should try them, they are a very nice tire dual sport tire. Good grip on the road and ok in the dirt if ya watch yur front traction in corners..
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #9
Spanish Bob
I dont know where I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Hi Mike

Search'n sometimes works and sometimes sucks, don't worry about ask'n. If we never asked the same questions again on this site we would have run out of topics 3 years ago

TKC life, there are some who will swear they get 5K +, I ran a lot of sets and I never did. After 1,500-2,000 the rear was no longer any good for dirt. I could run another 1,000 or so after that, but why. I bought a second set of wheels and mounted TKC's on one set and Tourances on the other. Took me about 15 min to switch 'um.

If you have never run a set you should try them, they are a very nice tire dual sport tire. Good grip on the road and ok in the dirt if ya watch yur front traction in corners..
That 5k for me is down to legal markers,so as Rad says their dirt advantage left the building way before that at maybe half that. But it depends on on road use, if you do lots of curves the middle of the tyres stays good, if not its fubar long before 5k miles.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
Andrew2
Team 250

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Bob
I dont mean to be rude, .
Why do it then

Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Rad
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2
Why do it then
Why not
Old 06-23-2006, 04:38 PM   #12
Andrew2
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Why not
Cause the guy was asking a reaonable question and was obviously offended by the smartarse reply.I've used the search and got sick of looking through every post with the word TKC in it trying to find an answer I was looking for

Old 06-23-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
Rad
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2
Cause the guy was asking a reaonable question and was obviously offended by the smartarse reply.I've used the search and got sick of looking through every post with the word TKC in it trying to find an answer I was looking for
Relax; it's just the frick'n internet....Have some fun; it's almost the weekend
Old 06-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #14
Andrew2
Team 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Relax; it's just the frick'n internet....Have some fun; it's almost the weekend
It is the weekend here ,but I've got a friggin toothache .
Seriously though I've got a thing about people being unnecessarily rude to others,don't see a need for it I guess.Have a good weekend anyhow,see ya

Old 06-23-2006, 04:50 PM   #15
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
Hi Mike

I'll second this...

Max for me has been 3k, several times...and that's all she had to give.

I love the tire, but it doesn't make $ sense running many miles on road. Like Rad said, do try a set - impressive.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote