My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:48 PM   #137
SST
Lost again...

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
All the part numbers and other information is available from www.braking.com. The disk you want is KT03FLD (front left). Glad you asked this question because they are not clearly marked and I happen to have mounted mine on the wrong sides . Will change them over tonight.

Hope this helps.......
Thanks! I did notice the different part #s and that is why I asked. I checked the Braking website and all is good. My dealer caleld Braking USA and they said they have only sold three sets and are NOT reordering and may not import anymore,
Rallymoto #165
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM   #138
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
I would be interested to see if you will notice a difference in brake feel or force since you now have floating rotors and calipers. I think it is general design practice to have one or the other or none but not both.

Review on Pyndon.
Goss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:25 PM   #139
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
I would be interested to see if you will notice a difference in brake feel or force since you now have floating rotors and calipers. I think it is general design practice to have one or the other or none but not both.

Review on Pyndon.
Hmmmmm.......Are all calipers not floating by simple fact that the pistons can retract? The only reason the Brembo caliper has sliders is because it is only a two piston caliper. This allows the rear part of the caliper to move as well as the pistons thus giving the same effect as a four pot caliper.

The brakes are must better now, more progressive, more feel and more importantly, always there when you need them. I am very happy!
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #140
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Pyndon - tell me - I did a complete maintenance on my brakes. Is it okay to put a bit of copper slip on the piston which pushes the brake pad onto the disc? I am not talking really a lot or even inside, but just on the upper portions of the piston which will likely see the first seal and probably not make the second seal at all, ever.

Whatcha think?
Old 08-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #141
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmm, copper slip on the pistons. I personally would not but I cannot see it doing any harm. I think the seals are strong enough to just clean it off as you push the piston back. I just use a light oil on the pistons for assembly purposes and stop the seals being damaged and then copper grease on the sliders for the rear part of the caliper.
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-03-2006, 01:10 PM   #142
sidestand
bristol, uk.

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
All the part numbers and other information is available from www.braking.com. The disk you want is KT03FLD (front left). Glad you asked this question because they are not clearly marked and I happen to have mounted mine on the wrong sides . Will change them over tonight.

Hope this helps.......
pyndon,i bought the front ones first, 2 weeks later the rear one, then patterns ran different ways so i had to make sure this was right, talon u.k emailed braking and they said this was right.If anyone is going to purchase these excellent brakes just remember kt08fld front disk goes on the gas/throttle side of the bike.just give us directional arrows braking.
sidestand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:52 PM   #143
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

I agree, directional arrows would be iditoproof. Nevertheless, the website www.braking.com does identify KT03 goes on the left and KT08 on the right as you so rightly stated.

I love them, as they are getting bedded up they are coming better and better. It even does huge stoppies now!!

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-04-2006, 08:10 AM   #144
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

The enitre caliper bodies on the 950 front brakes float on two pins so they self center if you will with the rotor. That is why the stock rotors were not "floaters". They did not need to be with the calipers ability to stay centered. You now have what would be considered a full floating system which should be really good. The modern hyper sports bikes have their calipers radial mounted which are fixed where they do not move or give at all. Their disks are floating to aide centering. Keep us updated as they get broken in. If they are much improved over the stock setup we are all ears.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #145
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
...copper slip on the piston which pushes the brake pad onto the disc? I am not talking really a lot or even inside, but just on the upper portions of the piston which will likely see the first seal and probably not make the second seal at all, ever.
Be careful.

It's the slip and grip of the seal on the piston that provides disk brakes' self-adjusting function. The seal deforms first, then the piston slides past; when pressure is released, the seal returns to its original shape, pulling the piston clear of the disk ever so slightly. At least, that's how they worked way back when disks were new on motos.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #146
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Talking Well done!

Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #147
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
The enitre caliper bodies on the 950 front brakes float on two pins so they self center if you will with the rotor. That is why the stock rotors were not "floaters". They did not need to be with the calipers ability to stay centered. You now have what would be considered a full floating system which should be really good. The modern hyper sports bikes have their calipers radial mounted which are fixed where they do not move or give at all. Their disks are floating to aide centering. Keep us updated as they get broken in. If they are much improved over the stock setup we are all ears.
Goss, do you want a fight about it, you are only in Dallas 40 mins down the road!! Only Joking . Interesting stuff.

The 950 uses 2 pot calipers as you know. The body has to move on a one sided, two pot caliper otherwise when the pads wear down the pistons would push the disk over to one side bending it. So, your right in what your saying that the caliper is designed like this to keep itself centered on the disk however, this is no different to a sports bike. On a sports bike with a fixed four pot caliper, radially mounted or not, the caliper does exactly the same however, all four pistons natually adjust to to center of the disk. On the two pot KTM caliper the two pistons and the two sliders create the same effect as a four pot caliper just with a little bit more caliper movement due to tolerances in the pins/sliders .

Stephen is also right about the seals being used to pull the pistons away from the disk. In world rally cars they run what is known as knock off springs in the back of the pistons which apply a light contant force onto the disk so that the driver always has instant braking when he hits the pedal. If you've ever had a severe head shake on a motorcycle, the pistons can become pushed backwards a little. Then when you go for the brakes you get a long lever. Knock off springs stop this.

They are now fully bedded in now and yes they are much beter than before, but then again Stevo Rino had shafted the old disks . Hey Steve, where's the rest of my bike you promised??

Happy riding all,

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-05-2006, 07:15 AM   #148
Goss
LC8 Adventurer

Pyn, the only reason I may have you come over to my house is to help me sort out this new popping issue that recently cropped up. We can fight my 950 If you read my recent thread on intermittent popping and have any ideas let me know. After researching some other posts here it sounds like I may have a vacuum leak around the carbs somewhere. I will be working on that this morning. Sorry for the high jack. But you have done one exceptional job at the total package you received!
Old 08-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #149
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Always Fixing!

Goss,

I did see you had a popping issue, when I first got my bike it was aweful, popping on decel all the time. Now it sound like a Ducati superbike!!

If you ever need a helping hand just give me a call, in fact, I think we should get together anyway for a good old chin wag and take those puppies for a spin sometime. I'll PM you my number, check your PM's.

I'm in the garage myself this morning trying to sort out this clutch noise I have developed. Hope it's nothing serious. Aren't these bikes great!!

Lyndon
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #150
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sunday Ride out!

Well, I had no plans today, the motorcross track was closed so I decide to head out with a full tank of gas and see where the wind took me. No map, no GPS, nothing but sence of direction! 180 miles later I was back at home with a few pictures to share! 70% on road and 30% off although I'm not sure if I should have been in some places . I rode for 22 miles down on the dirt about 50yds adjacent to a main road doing the same speed at the traffic on the main road, it was awesome. Everybody was looking over, they must have thought I was nuts!!

950 in Springtown Texas.

This overgrown old track down the side of a strem was fun but in places it was like quick sand.

This next one just confirms the challenges us advriders have in Texas.........eeerm none, it's flat, very flat! Look how far you can see in the distance.

Rode through this little place .

My KTM 950 Story