Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2010, 06:30 PM   #1501
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon

Bronco 3738, it's always advisable to use post numbers to help inmates find information as you can change the number of posts per page in the settings, hence people may see that post on a different page to you (just for info).

Hope this helps.

Pyn

Didn't think of changing the number of post per page. Learn something everyday on this thread. I'll know for next time. Keep up the good work.

BTW. Just received my copy of "Salt & Gold". Cool movie! When and where is the next adventure?

Mike

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:25 AM   #1502
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
[QUOTE=Pyndon]You know those niggly little problems, the ones you cannot find, well I've had one for a while and it's been driving me crazy! An electrical problem that is seriously intermittent. When you have an hour in the garage to fix it, it fails to rear its ugly head but when your on the motorway in driving rain it decides to pop out of nowhere and surprise you when you need it least. Well, here's the story of mine!
PYN Only just found this thread and I'm surprised that no one else has had this prob as mine failed here several years ago but was disguised by another problem which was a broken wire in loom near the starter relay the loom was replaced eventually under warranty but since then I always ensure there is plenty of the WD all round relay and always air dry after dousing in water
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #1503
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,120
While I realize that everyone is in love with WD40, CRC 5-56 is a much better product for sealing electrical systems.

http://www.crcind.com/wwwcrc/tds/TCA3%205-56.PDF

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 AM   #1504
Endojim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
All,

The bike is booked in for a dyno session next week.

Aim is the get the fuelling spot on with the new exhaust system and to see the improvements with the rebuild and the new exhaust system.

Pyn

Super anxious to hear your take on the GPR 2-1 sys. I'm torn between the safari tanks and keeping my Remus duals (as my bike is dialed in sweet) or shed a few pounds and go with the aux tank and GPR sys.

Jim

Endojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #1505
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endojim
Super anxious to hear your take on the GPR 2-1 sys. I'm torn between the safari tanks and keeping my Remus duals (as my bike is dialed in sweet) or shed a few pounds and go with the aux tank and GPR sys.

Jim
If your bike is dialed in sweet now (suspension) it will be miles out when you throw those huge safari tanks on!

As for jetting - I've gone from two Remus carbons to two Akrapovics to single Akrapovic to single Leo Vince to GPR 2-1 system and not changed the jetting one bit. They all seem to work pretty well. I didn't even change it when I fitted my K&N filter kit, no need.

My advice would be to go for the Adventure Tank rear tank and either a single side exhaust or a GPR setup. This IMO gives the best results with regards weight distribution on the bike. I don't like the bike with the Safari tanks up-front, just my $0.02.

I only went to the GPR system because I was sick of welding the stock headers and figured after 70,000 miles the bike deserved a new exhaust system. The GPR system was more cost effective than OEM. Less money on pipes = more money on fuel

PS. Ditch the black text.......it strains my eyes
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:07 PM   #1506
Endojim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
If your bike is dialed in sweet now (suspension) it will be miles out when you throw those huge safari tanks on!

As for jetting - I've gone from two Remus carbons to two Akrapovics to single Akrapovic to single Leo Vince to GPR 2-1 system and not changed the jetting one bit. They all seem to work pretty well. I didn't even change it when I fitted my K&N filter kit, no need.

My advice would be to go for the Adventure Tank rear tank and either a single side exhaust or a GPR setup. This IMO gives the best results with regards weight distribution on the bike. I don't like the bike with the Safari tanks up-front, just my $0.02.

I only went to the GPR system because I was sick of welding the stock headers and figured after 70,000 miles the bike deserved a new exhaust system. The GPR system was more cost effective than OEM. Less money on pipes = more money on fuel

PS. Ditch the black text.......it strains my eyes

Thanks for the advise.

It hard to imagaine that the 2-1 stock header would not be more restrictive than duals. I guess I'll try the 2-1 header with my remus for now and save the cash for Baja in november.

The GPR sys must sound pretty wicked with the megaphone looking design.

Jim

Jim
Endojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #1507
Visigothic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
What size jets didi you end up with after installing the Remus w/2-1? I'm assuming this was also done with the pre filter kit with smog removed. I'm at sea level so I understand it may not apply here.
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #1508
850tc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Aurel.

There is a little bit of play as the nut clamps the booster driver and not the inner basket. The rotary play you can feel is clearance in the drive pegs and a small amount of 'wobbling' of the inner basket is normal too, just build tolerances. The way the clutch booster works eliminates this play as soon as drive engages and the clutch pack is pulled together.

Pyn
Hi Pyndon. Thanks for all the info here. Youre obviously the person to ask about my problem - how much play is acceptable (rocking and in/out) on the OUTER basket ? Thanks!
850tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #1509
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tc
Hi Pyndon. Thanks for all the info here. Youre obviously the person to ask about my problem - how much play is acceptable (rocking and in/out) on the OUTER basket ? Thanks!
What's the problem, what's the bike doing that you don't like?
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-26-2010, 12:54 AM   #1510
850tc
Adventurer

Hi Pyndon, thanks for the reply. Im new to forums so I dont know how to refer to a previous post, but heres my question posted under: "950 Vibration".

Quote:
Hi. I"ve been a regular visitor to the forum since I got my 2003 950 Adventure a couple of years ago but I"ve never felt the need to post as all my questions have been answered here! However...
A short while ago the bike developed a vibration I can feel through the footpegs, hands and inner thighs (!). It"s quite uncomfortable and at my usual cruising revs of 4500-5000 blurs the mirrors even more than before. It doesnt seem to be rev related, ie it doesnt go away at lower or higher speeds and definitely is different to the usual V-twin vibe. I can best describe it as a hard tingle, if that makes any sense!
I"ve balanced the carbs and checked the torque of all the engine mounts with no effect. Im waiting for some loctite to retorque the flywheel screws as per the tech bulletin as I don"t know whether this has been done, but Im not sure this could be the cause. The only other thing I can think of is my knackered chain, but I"ve ridden with worse and the vibe seems to disappear if you declutch at speed.
Otherwise, the bike performs as normal, ie great! (its done 32000kms).
Id be grateful if any of you experts could suggest anything Ive not thought of. Cheers from France!
Ive gone through all I can think of and everybody elses suggestions and am wondering if movement in the clutch could be the culprit. Grateful for any suggestions! Cheers.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:15 AM   #1511
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Pyndon, thanks for the reply. Im new to forums so I dont know how to refer to a previous post, but heres my question posted under: "950 Vibration".

Ive gone through all I can think of and everybody elses suggestions and am wondering if movement in the clutch could be the culprit. Grateful for any suggestions! Cheers.
Replace the drive chain and sprockets before you start hunting anywhere else. This is often the cause of vibration for me, especially when teeth and rollers start to go awol

Eliminate all possibilities before you have to delve into the motor. That said, if you have a 2003, I'd replace the outer basket anyway, just as I did on mine in this thread. Those steel bands are prone to coming loose and can cause catastrophic failures. Search the thread for 'clutch basket' its in here somewhere.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 AM   #1512
850tc
Adventurer

New chain is still on its way (France in august!). I saw your post re the clutch basket, mine is still the steel band type, so it looks as if Im going to have to go in there anyway just for peace of mind. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Cheers
850tc.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #1513
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endojim
It hard to imagaine that the 2-1 stock header would not be more restrictive than duals.
The restriction from the 2 into 1 results in more torque. An ex KTM factory Dakar guy told me he felt the 2 into 1 was the best improvement he'd made to the bike because it improved ride-ability so much. I haven't tested it but I believe the GPR system would have the same benefit as the mid-pipe part.

All the race 950 Dakar bikes were all 2 into 1 systems with standard pipe diameters.

I believe 2 into 2 was done for catalytic converter area and low noise output, not for any performance gain.

Note: I'm biased, I designed/ sell the mid-pipe 2 into 1 part, but I did so after trying a bunch of different solutions on the dyno and concluding that was the best answer.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #1514
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
The restriction from the 2 into 1 results in more torque. An ex KTM factory Dakar guy told me he felt the 2 into 1 was the best improvement he'd made to the bike because it improved ride-ability so much.
I can confirm this; even on the EFI Adventure I have, the 2 into 1 made a marked improvement in the 2000-5000 RPM range, and IMO polished up some of the herky-jerky throttle at low RPM as well. Because it breaths so much better than the stock catalytic units, it runs as good as or better when revved hard all the way to ~9k RPM, too.

JMO, but still - it wasn't because I expected it; I observed it seat-of-the-pants, so to speak.

hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #1515
Just Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
I can confirm this

JMO, but still - it wasn't because I expected it; I observed it seat-of-the-pants, so to speak.

So anything wrong with me capping off one of my Leo Vince outlets to do a butt dyno test?