ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #1576
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker
 
redfishguide's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
Oddometer: 421


Can't wait though actually I can.
Thanks Pyndon for all your help!!!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
It's more fun doing it this way, and it also makes it more interesting for the reader too.

At 100,000miles you guys are in for a treat. I have a full history logged of everything I have ever done to the bike from oil changes to engine rebuilds with details of everything replaced and why. I will publish at 100,000miles so keep watching

The way it's going that's an ETA of 12 months although I did manage 2,400 miles last week
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #1577
maicomike
big bore fan
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: elephant island
Oddometer: 211
Bluhduh must read for ktm owners


later mike

maicomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #1578
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,560
Hey Pyndon....after you reach the 100K milestone....could you please go buy a 09 KTM 690 enduro for your next ktm story
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #1579
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Pyndon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere on two wheels!!
Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Hey Pyndon....after you reach the 100K milestone....could you please go buy a 09 KTM 690 enduro for your next ktm story
When they bolt another cylinder on.....sure
__________________
Pyn
Currently on www.racestoplaces.com
www.lyndonposkittracing.com or you can also look me up on Facebook or Twitter.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1580
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Pyndon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere on two wheels!!
Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I didn't think of your respectful audience. I was only thinking you could have the failure at some remote place... far away... between hostile aborigins... and life sucking heatwave...
Note to self - always carry a set of those $10 plastic ones to get you home
__________________
Pyn
Currently on www.racestoplaces.com
www.lyndonposkittracing.com or you can also look me up on Facebook or Twitter.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #1581
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Note to self - always carry a set of those $10 plastic ones to get you home
. Life savers
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #1582
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL
 
Night Falcon's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Nu Va Ze Lon
Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
When they bolt another cylinder on.....sure
Twins are pretty cool....i know...I am one new 700\750 double banger hopefully next year
__________________
My KTM 390 Adventure - we live in hope!
My KTM 690 - RIP
My Rev3 Trials Adventures
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #1583
WTR500
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
No, that part has been superseded by part number 60038010133. This comes complete with piston, spring and retainers. I think the housing is the same, they just changed the retainer system for the spring. You can use the old housing, and retention system and just fit a new piston/spring (which can be purchased separately). Easiest and quickest option IMO.

You can change the pressure pump housing without splitting the case but you'd have to be very careful because the suction pump would not be supported. I don't think it would go anywhere as there is an o-ring to hold the suction pump housing against the case and location dowels to keep it in location. That said, I don't think I would do it though, the manual certainly advises to split the cases and this means you can inspect the suction pump impellers too which is always advisable.

Pyn
Hi Pyn,

In this post you write that you can re-use the old housing and just renew the spring and the piston, because it's the quickest option. You're absolutely right, but now i'm tryin that, i see the problem is that the piston is to long, because it hits the engine-carter. So it can't come out with the pressurepump-housing in place. The only way the renew the piston is in my opinion to take the pressurepump-housing off, so you can renew the piston and spring. The only thing is..i saw you wrote it's pretty tricky. That said, isn't it so that there are actually two real options: option 1 (quick). only renew the spring and leave everything in place and 2 (slow).re-new everything, housing, piston and spring.

Just wondering what you're opinion is about this and what is the best option to go for. My 2004 950 adv. (13.000miles) also has a mean rattle and i'm leaving soon to Africa for three months, so the problem has to be solved by then.

Thanks. Wouter
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #1584
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Pyndon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere on two wheels!!
Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTR500 View Post
Hi Pyn,

In this post you write that you can re-use the old housing and just renew the spring and the piston, because it's the quickest option. You're absolutely right, but now i'm tryin that, i see the problem is that the piston is to long, because it hits the engine-carter. So it can't come out with the pressurepump-housing in place. The only way the renew the piston is in my opinion to take the pressurepump-housing off, so you can renew the piston and spring. The only thing is..i saw you wrote it's pretty tricky. That said, isn't it so that there are actually two real options: option 1 (quick). only renew the spring and leave everything in place and 2 (slow).re-new everything, housing, piston and spring.

Just wondering what you're opinion is about this and what is the best option to go for. My 2004 950 adv. (13.000miles) also has a mean rattle and i'm leaving soon to Africa for three months, so the problem has to be solved by then.

Thanks. Wouter
Hi, you can unscrew the housing from the clutch cover side, remove it and replace piston and spring and then re-install the housing from the clutch cover side. Weird that you cannot get the piston out though. Hope this helps. The pump on the other side of the casing (inside the gearbox) will be unsupported when you remove the bolts but it does have some dowel pins holding it in position so it shouldn't go anywhere.

Hope this helps. It might also be worth replacing your cam chain tensioners also.

Pyn
__________________
Pyn
Currently on www.racestoplaces.com
www.lyndonposkittracing.com or you can also look me up on Facebook or Twitter.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:21 AM   #1585
WTR500
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Hi, you can unscrew the housing from the clutch cover side, remove it and replace piston and spring and then re-install the housing from the clutch cover side. Weird that you cannot get the piston out though. Hope this helps. The pump on the other side of the casing (inside the gearbox) will be unsupported when you remove the bolts but it does have some dowel pins holding it in position so it shouldn't go anywhere.

Hope this helps. It might also be worth replacing your cam chain tensioners also.

Pyn
Thanks for your quick reply.

If everything is ok, the cam chain tensioners are already replaced 1000miles ago (just like the waterpump), under garanty since i bought the KTM second hand at a KTM-dealer in the Netherlands. The garanty is now off and i'll have to be able to do those things in Africa myself, so i just began working on it. I've added al picture of the problem replacing the piston, and while surfing the web i saw that a few others had this problem also. So the only way is to remove the housing, and i think that i'll replace it also then to score a 100 points. Agree? Or really unneccesary?

The only thing that i'm still doubting about are the cam-chains itself, but in my opinion it's almost impossible that they wore out with this low milage.

Thanks. Wouter
Attached Images
 
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #1586
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Pyndon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere on two wheels!!
Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTR500 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply.

If everything is ok, the cam chain tensioners are already replaced 1000miles ago (just like the waterpump), under garanty since i bought the KTM second hand at a KTM-dealer in the Netherlands. The garanty is now off and i'll have to be able to do those things in Africa myself, so i just began working on it. I've added al picture of the problem replacing the piston, and while surfing the web i saw that a few others had this problem also. So the only way is to remove the housing, and i think that i'll replace it also then to score a 100 points. Agree? Or really unneccesary?

The only thing that i'm still doubting about are the cam-chains itself, but in my opinion it's almost impossible that they wore out with this low milage.

Thanks. Wouter
You can replace the housing yes, better to do so in my opinion, new housing and new piston equals slick operation! No questions. Remember you are only fixing the pressure pump though, which is fine as this is the one that causes the issues!

You'll have to remove the clutch etc to get the housing off.

Big note! When you buy the housing, the piston and spring etc comes with it so don't buy both like I did and end us with spares! Parts manual does not show it coming as an assembly but it does.
__________________
Pyn
Currently on www.racestoplaces.com
www.lyndonposkittracing.com or you can also look me up on Facebook or Twitter.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #1587
WTR500
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 12
Yo!

Thanks for the info. I've received all the parts today, so i'm going to install it this evening. Let's hope the housing doesn't fall into the gearbox;-)

Cheers! Wouter!
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #1588
WTR500
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 12
Pyndon,

Thanks, your remarks turned out to be very usefull! The new pressure-pump was a perfect fit. The circlip that holds the little gearwheel on the pressurepump died however, so i'll have to wait untill that part comes in. I only forget to check how smooth the gearwheel of the oilpump-housing was turning before the disassembly. I would describe the turning of the little gearwheel now as smooth, but with some pretty counterpressure. Would you say this is normal?

Best regards!
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 PM   #1589
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Pyndon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Somewhere on two wheels!!
Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTR500 View Post
Pyndon,

Thanks, your remarks turned out to be very usefull! The new pressure-pump was a perfect fit. The circlip that holds the little gearwheel on the pressurepump died however, so i'll have to wait untill that part comes in. I only forget to check how smooth the gearwheel of the oilpump-housing was turning before the disassembly. I would describe the turning of the little gearwheel now as smooth, but with some pretty counterpressure. Would you say this is normal?

Best regards!
Mine was quite stiff when I installed the new housings, I think it is due to tolerances etc. I personally put some Graphogen (white metal bearing lube) on the shaft and bore of the housing to help lubricate it in the first instance, once the motor has been running it will settle in, as long as it's not too stiff of course. If you can turn it with just a small amount of 'friction' and there are no really tight spots then it'll be fine. If you don't have Graphogen, use a small amount of bearing grease to lube the shaft on the housing.

Hope this helps.

Pyn
__________________
Pyn
Currently on www.racestoplaces.com
www.lyndonposkittracing.com or you can also look me up on Facebook or Twitter.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:31 PM   #1590
WTR500
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Oddometer: 12
Ok. Well...you can't turn the little sprocket with only one finger, but if you use two, you can turn it good and smooth. You even hear the "tsssss" sound of air compressing in the oilpump . Pretty stupid i didn't check that one in the beginning. I'll lube it and you hear from me. Ow...and if you would be travelling through The Netherlands, the beer will be cold
WTR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014