User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #1606
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 421
Hey Pyndon,

Hope you don't mind this post. I kind of skipped the usual location and came straight to the master. You have been a great help in the past and I have followed all your posts.

My 05 950 S (24K miles) is acting up a bit. When trying to start I'm getting a click without the engine turning over. A couple of extra pushes on the go button and she catches and starts. Seems to happen more when cold but also happens when hot. Battery is less then two years old and is fully charged. Terminals look okay. Once it connects engine turns over strong. I put my finger on the starter relay (one near the battery w/ 30 amp fuse) and I can feel as well as hear a loud click.

I'm wondering is it likely the starter motor or just the relay? I remember somtime back you posting something about having an issue with a relay affecting your bike.

Again I apologize if this post is out of line.

Btw have you ever posted anything about valve adjustments?

Thanks,
Jack
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:31 PM   #1607
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Laugh Bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Generally KTM but it really does not matter. If I want them quickly, bearing supplier works best.
When I wanted to replace all my wheel & cush drive bearings I went through a bearing distributor and got the best local price I could. One of the rear bearings was $29.14 (lowest quote) and $34.83 for the highest.

When a local shop mechanic was removing them from the computerized dynamic wheel balancer he damaged one of the seals' rubber dust covers on my new bearings right before a trip. This is the only time I let anyone "work" on anything I own, and look what happened

I contacted my KTM dealer and could get it in 2 days (it's usually 1 day from Ohio where KTM/NA ships next door to West Virginia) and it only cost $15.34. As they (www.ktm-parts.com) went ahead and quoted me the prices just FYI all their bearings were less expensive than the ones I had gone to all the trouble to source from the suppliers. YMMV.

yes, once again KTM suprises (& pleases) me by having lower OEM prices than Italian, Japanese or German brands

The rear inner fender for my bike was $11.14, when I was restoring my FZR the fender from Japan was $236.42- for a piece of plastic, while cell phones are free & computers that cost $200 kick ass! ?!?

Just saying try your dealer and see how it fares

Pyndon, I also thank you for your efforts in displaying the 950 for all to see, cheers!
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #1608
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,338
KTM-Parts.com is without a doubt the best place on the internet for KTM parts.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:46 PM   #1609
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Hey Pyndon,

Hope you don't mind this post. I kind of skipped the usual location and came straight to the master. You have been a great help in the past and I have followed all your posts.

My 05 950 S (24K miles) is acting up a bit. When trying to start I'm getting a click without the engine turning over. A couple of extra pushes on the go button and she catches and starts. Seems to happen more when cold but also happens when hot. Battery is less then two years old and is fully charged. Terminals look okay. Once it connects engine turns over strong. I put my finger on the starter relay (one near the battery w/ 30 amp fuse) and I can feel as well as hear a loud click.

I'm wondering is it likely the starter motor or just the relay? I remember somtime back you posting something about having an issue with a relay affecting your bike.

Again I apologize if this post is out of line.

Btw have you ever posted anything about valve adjustments?

Thanks,
Jack
Sounds like your battery as if the click is happening, the ignition and starter relay are all hunky doory. This especially explains why it is doing it when it is cold. My starting point would be the battery. Might not be producing enough umph, seen this on a 990.

As for valve clearances......I'm sure I have in here somewhere, if not, there's a ton of stuff already out there on clearances. Use the search engine, this usually reveals success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Just saying try your dealer and see how it fares
Like I said, I usually use KTM, and I don't think I even said anything about price as it really does depend on the manufacturer. For example, if you buy SKF you'll pay a high price, if you buy Chinese Ching Cheng, you'll pay peanuts. Most good bearing suppliers offer a range of bearings from cheap to expensive but if I'm rebuilding an engine I always use the best (SKF). KTM generally use something in the middle, FAG or something like that but I have seen SKF come in KTM boxes. It would not surprise me to see that KTM bearings are cheaper than SKF from a bearing supplier, firstly they might not be SKF and secondly they will buy millions so will get a great price for us riders

That said, if I want a bearing now, today, for a part deep in an engine, it's unlikely KTM will have it, a bearing supplier more than likely will. Sometimes, time is of the essence.

Pyn
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #1610
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423

Any reason for the front brake cable routed as in the pic? Do they not get snagged by anything?
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:09 PM   #1611
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE(UK) View Post
Any reason for the front brake cable routed as in the pic? Do they not get snagged by anything?
Well, I've tried just about every route there is and I feel this works best. They have not become snagged yet and they are breaded so are basically like steel wire (strong). I did DeeGee's the same and don't think he's had any bother either.

I don't like them tugging on the fork shields, this is the main reason and remember my set-up is unique to my bike in that I have a solid cross tube on the lower triple clap rather than a T-piece like the 990.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #1612
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
I noticed the cross tube on the lower triple clamps.
Cheers for taking the time to reply.

Bet the mileage is creeping up nicely?
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #1613
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Too awesome! I was starting to wonder if you were still riding, it's been so quiet around here.
Any details to share about this ride?

Old 10-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #1614
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Reports from the UK Rally Championship will be posted here: www.adventure-spec.com

Mileage on the bike is now 86,000miles.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #1615
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
You know, just your average touring / commuter bike with 86k miles that knocks off 2nd overall and 1st twin at the weekends on a highly competitive rally circuit against purpose built enduro bikes raced off-road.

It's a "dual purpose"- adventure touring, and rally racing, I guess.

Nice work, Pyn!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #1616
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
You know, just your average touring / commuter bike with 86k miles that knocks off 2nd overall and 1st twin at the weekends on a highly competitive rally circuit against purpose built enduro bikes raced off-road.

It's a "dual purpose"- adventure touring, and rally racing, I guess.

Nice work, Pyn!
comes down to rider....

like they say... when you're good you're good.....

neduro..... that mean you'll win dakar right?
Old 10-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #1617
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Great rally shots you posted Pyn - outstanding. When you say running no air, do you really mean no air pressure and just the foam?

I've only just caught up on this thread, as am having some weird 990 running issues and got taken in by the whole extent of this monster-thread.

Pyn, with your current miles of 85k+ how many times have you replaced some things like the water pump? There is your original write up of the procedure at around 30k miles (excellent!), but no mention of subsequent changes?

I put 10k miles on my 2011 R in just under 4 months of hard use, so it needs some TLC now, and no way a dealer is going to touch it!

See you in next years BBRC season, I'll be good to go then...
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #1618
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Great rally shots you posted Pyn - outstanding. When you say running no air, do you really mean no air pressure and just the foam?

I've only just caught up on this thread, as am having some weird 990 running issues and got taken in by the whole extent of this monster-thread.

Pyn, with your current miles of 85k+ how many times have you replaced some things like the water pump? There is your original write up of the procedure at around 30k miles (excellent!), but no mention of subsequent changes?

I put 10k miles on my 2011 R in just under 4 months of hard use, so it needs some TLC now, and no way a dealer is going to touch it!

See you in next years BBRC season, I'll be good to go then...
Replace the water pump seal and shaft every 15-20K miles as a preventative measure. So probably on the 4th now. The UK Rally series is a lot of fun, like Dakar but different.....actually, quite a lot different We have mud and a lot of water, the pictures were taken on a very rare, record breaking October weekend in Wales. Hope to see you next year. Last round this weekend.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #1619
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Too awesome! I was starting to wonder if you were still riding, it's been so quiet around here.

Where did this action take place? UK?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #1620
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Where did this action take place? UK?
Mid Wales, UK.
My KTM 950 Story