User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2006, 02:38 PM   #151
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Sunday Ride out!

Well, I had no plans today, the motorcross track was closed so I decide to head out with a full tank of gas and see where the wind took me. No map, no GPS, nothing but sence of direction! 180 miles later I was back at home with a few pictures to share! 70% on road and 30% off although I'm not sure if I should have been in some places . I rode for 22 miles down on the dirt about 50yds adjacent to a main road doing the same speed at the traffic on the main road, it was awesome. Everybody was looking over, they must have thought I was nuts!!

950 in Springtown Texas.

This overgrown old track down the side of a strem was fun but in places it was like quick sand.

This next one just confirms the challenges us advriders have in Texas.........eeerm none, it's flat, very flat! Look how far you can see in the distance.

Rode through this little place .

My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 02:42 PM   #152
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Continued.....

Saw this in the distance so I navigated my way to it. A huge Texas oil drilling platform making all kinds of funny grinding and grating noises. Thought it was the KTM at first !

And finally this one is for you Dad. Look what I found on my travels!!

Thats it, I finally managed to get some dirt on the bike, OK, it was only a bit of Texas dust but still, its dirt! I think I'll leave it there, it suits it!
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 08-06-2006 at 02:46 PM Reason: Fumble fingers!!
Old 08-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #153
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,341
Great pics. Sometimes is good to take the bike and drive with no plans.....
VDG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #154
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

The DYNO Results.......

Well as some of you already know I have spent an age playing around with my jetting on the 950 to get it something like how it should be. I have built many race engines for bikes in the past few years and also spent hours on the Dyno setting them up. Today it was time to get my 950 on the dyno and check that the settings I had chosen (based on seat of the pants riding) were actually something like close!

So this morning I headed into the garage and stripped one side of the bike down to gain access to the carbs to make any changes that would be required. Jumped on the bike and headed down the Dyno shop to see a man about some horses!!

These are the setting I had chosen from all tests and changes I had made previously.

Engine: Stock 950
Pilot Jet: 45 (stock was 42)
IAMS: 1.25 turns from fully closed (stock was 2.25 with 42 pilot)
Needle: Stock
Needle Position: 3rd Clip (this is rasing the needle one position from stock)
Front Main Jet: 165
Rear Main Jet: 170
Float Height: Stock Setting
Other Carb Mods: None
Airbox: Stock
Air Filter: Stock
Silencers: Remus Carbon Revolution (with no inserts)

After arriving at the Dyno and getting the bike set-up and tied down it wa time to start testing! At first I started with the front cylinder and did some idle and just off-idle AFR tests and found that the idle AFR was a little rich if anything hovering between 12 and 13. I could probably go to 1.0 turns out on the IAMS to lean the idle mixture a little but it is pretty close none the less.

Next up I did three full throttle runs from 3000rpm to the limiter in 3rd and 4th gears. The chart below shows one of the first full throttle runs I did with the bike before making any adjustments. I was extreemely surprised how close it was to what it should be from an AFR point of view.

Power and Torque very smooth and just about where I expected them to be. There’s a rich spot between 9000rpm and the rev limiter which would be hard to dial out. I have seen this before on other 950 results and other bikes too. It could be due to an airbox restricton at such high engine speeds or just a characteristic of the engine. I'll not be loosing sleep over it though!

After the full throttle runs I carried out a whole buch of tests in 4th and 6th gears under varying loads, throttle postions and engine speeds and the AFR was really good in all situations varying between 12.5:1 and 13.5:1 on the AFR.

After doing all of this it was time to switch to the rear cylinder and run the same set of tests on this. The chart below shown a comparison of the two cylinders under a full throttle run condition.

As you can see the AFR on the rear cylinder is way richer between 3000rpm and 6000rpm but then comes really close between 6000rpm and 9000rpm. I could go from a 170 to a 168 on the rear cylinder but to be honest its probably not a bad thing running a little richer at the rear as the cylinder doeas get hotter as there’s no air flow around it. So I think I’ll leave the main jet alone.

My only concern was to get the rear cylinder closer between 3000rpm and 6000rpm but when I did the part throttle tests under varying loads, throttle positions and engine speeds, the AFR was actually closer to the 13:1 mark (around 12.5 to 13.1). So I concluded that the settings I have at the moment probably give me the best posible results for a varying range of conditions and decided to leave everything just how it was.

It just goes to show how close you can set a bike up using the old fashined ‘seat of the pants’ and ‘feel’ approach when it comes to carburation. I surprised myself how close I got it and am very happy with the results.

I am getting 34.5mpg (US Gal.) average with 17:45 gearing which is good enough for me. Got 200 miles out of the last tank, 47miles with the reserve light on (I thought I was going to be pushing!) .

I hope this setting information and results is useful or interesting to some of you.

Now I just need to go ride

Happy riding everyone and thanks for reading my thread.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #155
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,796
no probs Pyn ....... love to read it

White pig

b0mb3r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #156
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

She got treated today!

Well, I played yet again, decided to tweak those IAMS to 1.0 turns. I also flushed the cooling system and filled it with some freash engine ice . She also got a good clean .

Did you notece anything different from before?

Well, she got treated to some more orange crush......... ........check out the wheels!

Happy riding ,

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #157
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
I got the same thing in my undies
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:08 PM   #158
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 17,859
Chain tension

Pyn- I know nothing about these bikes, except for what people tell me. With that- is your chain too tight? Scot Harden did a demo for us in Elko re tension. Just curious if your's is ok.
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #159
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hmmmmm.....

After everything I have done in this thread, do you not think I know how to tension a drive chain properly?!? Thanks for asking though but the answer to your question is yes, it is tensioned correctly. You can even see the sag on the lower part of the chain in the pictures.

Question is, is yours tensioned properly??
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 PM   #160
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon

Question is, is yours tensioned properly??

What a comeback!!
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:42 PM   #161
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 433
Okay I give up just what did you do to the wheels? I see the orange stripe. Did you replace the rims or just add some bling?

inquiring minds need to know.

Btw great thread I can both enjoy and learn at the same time.

Thanks
Jack Brown
Beaufort S.C.
http://tinyurl.com/4dndf
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:43 PM   #162
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Talking

Hey Pyndon,

Looking for some routes to do a shake down ride when I pick up my 950 from Cycle Town South in the near future I saw some interesting areas you might want to check out. Follow Bear Creek Rd going East (mile 412 off I-35 S of Dallas where Cycle Town South KTM is) using Google Maps. Jump up to E. Belt Line and cross I-45 (still heading East) then drop down to W. Malloy Bridge Rd. Find Bois D Arc Rd which is a Right turn. Follow to Bilindsay Rd. You will be just West of the town of Combine. Switch to the Satelite/Map combo and you will see all sorts of what I assume are gravel pits and dirt roads. Don't hurt yourself.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:49 PM   #163
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Scottr

Hey man,

Let me know when you pick your bike up and we can go rip some rubber!

Pyndon
My KTM 950 Story
Old 08-13-2006, 08:51 PM   #164
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
Hey man,

Let me know when you pick your bike up and we can go rip some rubber!

Pyndon
Sure thing. Only you gotta promise not to lead me on. I need to practice a bit on this monster before I try to ride like you do.

It'll be a cuple three weeks though. Curtis has a long list of farkles to oder in and install for me and he's gotta couple rides of his own to do during that period. I told him I'm just as happy to see this hot weather break before I get the bike cause when I do it's going to be all day every day on it for me. Hell, I could probaably overnight in DFW and have it in for it's 600 mile and new cans/ EPA crap removal on the third day.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:31 AM   #165
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sounds like a plan!

Hell, I could probaably overnight in DFW and have it in for it's 600 mile and new cans/ EPA crap removal on the third day. [/quote]

What a good idea.......do it........and we can drink lots of beer while they are working on it!! ...............................
My KTM 950 Story