Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #1636
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
Thanks

Hi Pyn,

Just wanted to say thanks for the thread and other help you gave me in rebuilding my big girl. She made the trip from the Southern to Northern Hemisphere and saw the UK roads for the first time yesterday.

So far so good!

Cheers,

Craig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #1637
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
what is considered a lot of miles on a 5.5 katoom? Mine is at 18k, which is nothing for a car, but I am not aware of how that is with smaller displacement engines.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1638
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonDarrin View Post
what is considered a lot of miles on a 5.5 katoom? Mine is at 18k, which is nothing for a car, but I am not aware of how that is with smaller displacement engines.
Depends on maintenance, but with proper maintenance these should go 60-80k before needing a rebuild if not longer.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1639
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,914
I rebuilt mine at 60k, but to honest it most of the engine was in great condition. If I wasn't taking it around the world I would have just replaced the shift fork rollers and the bearing on shift drum.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?i2kzw3
Snet from ym iPohne using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #1640
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,369
Sorry for jumping in on page 110. New to the OC.
So I am rebuilding the water pump and using Pyndon's writeup in the HOW. So far, so good.
I am having trouble getting the right side exhuast out of the way. It is loose-header bolts and H bolt came off no problem-just not enough wiggle room between the frame and the rear cylinder. Looks like it will come off with the inner clutch cover, but I'm not there yet.
Any ideas?
TIA
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #1641
Gren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
What a fantastic thread I have read it twice now over the space of 8months and it is convincing me to go get a 950 adv, great info on here just a great thread, so whats the mileage now..??

Keep it simple.......stupid..!!
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #1642
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
So I am rebuilding the water pump and using Pyndon's writeup in the HOW. So far, so good.
I am having trouble getting the right side exhuast out of the way. It is loose-header bolts and H bolt came off no problem-just not enough wiggle room between the frame and the rear cylinder. Looks like it will come off with the inner clutch cover, but I'm not there yet.
Any ideas?
TIA
Is it the heat shield that is getting in the way? I had to take the little heat shield off, and then the pipe slipped out.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:26 AM   #1643
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren View Post
What a fantastic thread I have read it twice now over the space of 8months and it is convincing me to go get a 950 adv, great info on here just a great thread, so whats the mileage now..??
Thanks, Glad you have enjoyed it. I wish I had 100 from KTM every time somebody said to me "your thread convinced me to buy an RC8". I would not be worrying about funding the 2013 Dakar!

Bike is just approaching 90,000 miles although I rode it for a while with a busted speedo cable so I suspect it's a few thousand more. I think it's great that an 80,000 mile plus bike won the BBRC here in the UK last year. Awesome! Still use it every day and would not change it for anything.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story

Pyndon screwed with this post 04-06-2012 at 08:34 AM
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #1644
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
Is it the heat shield that is getting in the way? I had to take the little heat shield off, and then the pipe slipped out.
That'll probably do it. Just more shit to put back together.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #1645
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,572
Quote:
That'll probably do it. Just more shit to put back together.
Yes, and those little screws were a pain to get out of there without stripping the heads...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #1646
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Any ideas?
TIA
Well it should come out no probs!
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #1647
zacnzoe
bustnluc

Oddometer: 84
Thanks for your effort!!!!

Pyndon,

Thank you for all the time and effort you have put into this thread. I have used it many times for reference on maintenance work regarding my '06 950 Adventure. Between you and the other inmates questions and responses, most of the mystery of the big-twin steed has been revealed. It has also been fun to follow along with the evolution of your bike and reinforce the notion that these big orange (mine is black) beasts are well designed, reliable and long lasting scooters! I feel like I owe you several $$$$ for all the bucks I've saved doing my own (and most of my friends 950 A's & S's) repair & maintenace work. If you are ever passing through the Central Coast of California, look me up and dinner and beers will be on me. Thanks again Pyndon.

Darren O.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!"
zacnzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #1648
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,425
Finally!

Time for an update I think and keep this the number one Orange Crush technical thread

As some know, I've been working on this one for ages, 320mm full travel, full fat suspension for the 950. I've been riding the 265mm standard 'S' suspension to it's limit for quite some time. It's been great and I've done a bunch of stuff to get it where I wanted it to be but I was never completely happy with it as I always knew more stroke would mean I could attack things much harder and soak up much more without the well known 950 clang of the suspension bottoming! More bash for the mm or is it more mm for the bash?

Anyway, the forks were quite straight forward apart from squeezing the massive 0.64kg/mm springs in there but the shock, well, this was a different matter. It is the third iteration and is a right hop scotch of parts including a custom made outer piston tube, extended reservoir for additional oil capacity (also helps to keep the oil cooler) and many other tweaks.

Anyway, I'm a sucker for a good set of suspenders and long legs so here they are!

She rides nice but I have yet to give it the beans off-road. I expected it to be a little unstable or like a rocking horse on the road but it's pretty damn good. It's tall mind, glad I have a 36" inseam! Put it this way, I'm not worried about it getting stolen if I leave the keys in it, it's quite intimidating to most. 'Massive' is the word I have heard people say.

Here she is, sat under her own weight with perfectly calculated and constructed sag, front and rear, just how it should be.

Now, I got a rally bike to get on with.......poor 950 was feeling left out so this should keep her happy for a couple of months!

Needs a new rear brake calliper next, the 90,000 miles had taken it's toll
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #1649
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon View Post
Anyway, the forks were quite straight forward apart from squeezing the massive 0.64kg/mm springs in there
As if you needed to be faster...looks right tough, man!

Did you have to turn down or cut the OD of the black inner spring guides/bottoming cone struts for clearance on the ID of those springs? Mine did not clear the ID of the .64's when compressed, and I just recently found that the springs had pulled one of them out of the fork cap top locknut(it's just a knurled ID in the counterbore of the nut and a press-fit of the plastic strut into that, but still)...it wasn't an issue in reality, but having it floating on the damper rod shaft probably wasn't ideal.

FWIW, I had to skin about .080" off of the OD of the struts/guides to be sure the spring would clear, but still keep it from kinking on compression.

How much static preload do the springs have(with the adjuster all the way backed out)?

hilslamer screwed with this post 04-24-2012 at 03:47 PM
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 PM   #1650
C-Dub
Clean Air Hog

Oddometer: 788
Hi Lyndon, that is a sweet ride! Are you going to start marketing the kit? I would love to have the same setup on my 950!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2