Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #166
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
Hell, I could probaably overnight in DFW and have it in for it's 600 mile and new cans/ EPA crap removal on the third day.
What a good idea.......do it........and we can drink lots of beer while they are working on it!! ...............................[/quote]

Think we could find some hills within three hours of DFW? Tall order I know.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #167
Tbone
off-ramp slayer

Oddometer: 4,240
WOW !!! makes me want to go and rip my bike apart.... great report !
Tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #168
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Been Riding!

Getting on for 2000miles since the rebuild.

Took it for an 800 mile thrash this weekend http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160574.
My Dakar Rally Experience
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 PM   #169
Denalidirt
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 820
high fender and sw motech

your crash bars look to be an SW motech set. If they are did you notice any problems with mounting the high fender
Denalidirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 PM   #170
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

At last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denalidirt
your crash bars look to be an SW motech set. If they are did you notice any problems with mounting the high fender
No problems noted with SW Motech bars and high fender. Sorry for late reply, didn't even see your post.

FINALLY I have had confirmation that my Touratech Bash Plate is winging its way over the country. I've only had to wait 11 weeks!! The finishing touch can now be installed, I think the TKC's need to go on now also!

Pictures to follow of course.

See ya, Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 09-15-2006, 02:58 AM   #171
BDG
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
No problems noted with SW Motech bars and high fender. Sorry for late reply, didn't even see your post.

FINALLY I have had confirmation that my Touratech Bash Plate is winging its way over the country. I've only had to wait 11 weeks!! The finishing touch can now be installed, I think the TKC's need to go on now also!

Pictures to follow of course.

See ya, Pyn
Only 11 weeks from Touratech, you obviously get priority service in the States
Even worse back home when i ordered mine.

Great write up by the way Pyndon

I'm a very efficient idiot.
BDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:32 PM   #172
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Update.....New addition and more changes! (Pyndon)

Ok so I needed a road book holder for my 950 for the LA-B-V event in November. I ordered the KTM back-lit powered road book holder from the hard parts catalogue . I knew this meant removing the tack from the bike which I was not fussed about as I don’t use it much anyway, it’s the first dirt bike I’ve had with a tach! So it started by removing the original instrument panel………

I’ve wanted to sort the electrical wiring out on the bike since I got it a few months ago. I did all the mechanics, as you know from this thread but I just do not have a passion for electrics (despite having an Honors Degree in Electrical Engineering, as well and Mechanical ).

The bike was pre-wired (by a cowboy, oops, shouldn't say that being in Texas ) with two power outlets that did not work. Also, the bike was wired (in a fashion) for some auxiliary lighting, but guess what, they never worked either!

I started out by trying to get the existing power outlets and auxiliary lighting circuits working but I soon realized that I was fighting a loosing Pyndon battle and I would have never been happy with the solution anyway. The whole rats nest of a wiring affair made me want to just rip it all out and start from scratch so I did just that!. I rove it all out and this is what I threw away!

After getting rid of that bunch o’ crappola, the void behind the wind shield looked a much more accommodating platform to start work from .

I know began to plan what I wanted to do. After reading various posts and different opinions I decided to mount the GPS between the bars and use the road book holder bracket to mount the trip computer just above it. I got this done relatively quickly but did not wire anything up until I made sure I was happy with the location of the equipment. I went on two short rides and soon realized that I was unhappy with the GPS between the bars. I had mounted it just above the bar clamps using an Enduro Engineering mount but it was just never right

Problem1: I found it far more dangerous trying to use the GPS when it was sat way down on the bars. You had to take your eyes totally off the road. I guess I had spoilt myself by having it previously mounted above the instrument panel where it was more in the line of sight.

Problem 2: I found that my tank back interfered with the Touratech GPS mount. If I moved the GPS forwards or upwards to clear the tank bag then it blocked the view of the road book. Very frustrating.

Problem 3: Those GPS mounts have some sharpish features on them and I felt much safer with those features tucked away in the void of the wind shield rather than just asking to stab into my flesh on one of those river crossing moments!

So after discovering this, a big re-think was required. I decided to set to work making by own brackets and re-positioned the trip computer on the bars and the GPS back up-top where it belongs. I also made the bracketry such that the GPS mount was on the center-line of the bike, unlike when you mount it with the tach in place and it has to be an inch off-center (that always bugged me!).

Hours of measuring, cutting, drilling and filing later I had a solution! I mounted the Touratech MvG GPS mount tucked right in above the road book holder and within the wind-shield. I got it right in there so
I could see them both either standing or sitting .

Hey look, I new trip computer mount…….well......a temporary one while I got the other brackets sorted out and a quick !!

Now I needed to make a bracket, maintaining the rubber mounts, to mount the trip computer between the bars at the right height and position so that I could see the road book and also see the trip computer with the tank bag on. Some more measuring, cutting, drilling and filing later and that was done too. There I had it

1) GPS mounted on the center line of the bike, up high in the wind-shield.
2) Road book in original position, in full view standing or sitting.
3) Trip computer fitted between handle bars viewable with tank bag on.

Happy with the set-up I stripped everything off and started wiring everything in position. I hard wired the trip to the bars, wired the GPS to the KTM loom with a fused link, wired two power outlets to the KTM loom utilizing the accessory fuses and plumbed in the road book for lighting and auto scrolling. Sweeeet!

All wired neatly together with no more rats nests to deal with. Best of all, I know where everything is wired to and from and know that it has been done correctly. Wiring finished below......much neater now.

Here are some pictures of the final set-up……..

And even with tank bag fully extended…………..

Well, now all this was done I needed to change the oil out. Done 3500 since I got the bike now.

I also fitted my Touratech bash plate at the same time. I had to modify it somewhat to get it to fit with the SWM tank bars but nothing comes easy these days!

Oh yes and it can breath clearly now the dirt has gone! 3500 miles later and she likes the new filter!

I also noticed the heat shield for the front header pipe has seen many better days, so I freshened it up a little!

Finally, I noticed black soot on my shock absorber and after looking into it, my rear header pipe is cracked

Pyn

My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-05-2006, 10:01 PM   #173
taco

Oddometer: n/a
Question Any other cracks out there?

Is the crack a straight line from the sensor plug towards the head? If so I have the same one, and here I thought I was special.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:04 PM   #174
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Will you quit! You're making my 950 look like a pile of junk. That is some excelent work. I was just looking at the roadbook setup but didn't want the GPS on the bars. I would have never thought of putting the IMO on the bars instead. Thanks for showing me the way.

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #175
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco
Is the crack a straight line from the sensor plug towards the head? If so I have the same one, and here I thought I was special.
Same crack.......keeping my beeds on it !
My KTM 950 Story
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 PM   #176
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
Aside from being a mechanical genius Pyn has a secret weapon. As if he didn't already have enough advantages.

His GF is five thousand miles away and he is true to her (yeah, she don't believe it either). All he needs to do is get her to read these threads and she'd see no man could accomplish all this wrenching AND chase skirts.

One day she'll hog tie him and he'll be a poor married sod like the rest of us with no time to rebuild 950s from the wheels up.

PS: Pyn, you have no dash now.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #177
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
errr.. you mean like this?

Old 10-06-2006, 12:18 AM   #178
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,266
You Sir, are a bit fooking irritating.

Every time I open this thread, I just know it is going to cost me time and money.

Would you kindly just fack off now and stop showing off!

Old 10-06-2006, 04:35 AM   #179
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,034
Roadbook mount

Nice work, but how is it better to have the GPS on top in place of the IMO? ...or... how is it better to have your IMO on the bars rather then above the roadbook?

Also; did you paint those rims or use some sort of striping tape? Thanks
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:45 AM   #180
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveInTheOutdoors
errr.. you mean like this?

Doh! That's not a crack, that's a full blown break. Is that the one you got welded? What ever happened to your bike anyway?

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote