Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2010, 08:52 PM   #1126
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
This is truly an epic thread!~ (all the moreso for me- as yours was the first 950 I ever rode- courtesy of Steverino)

Can you give some feedback on the HID 50 kit? Had any issues? Ever get flashed for being too bright??? thanks man- keep up the great work.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #1127
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba
This is truly an epic thread!~ (all the moreso for me- as yours was the first 950 I ever rode- courtesy of Steverino)

Can you give some feedback on the HID 50 kit? Had any issues? Ever get flashed for being too bright??? thanks man- keep up the great work.
HID50's - Get flashed a lot for being too bright, even without the high beam on and especially if the GF is on the back. HOWEVER, I just see this as an "I've seen you" acknowledgement

Well happy with it, no issues and I have a good few thousand miles on them now.

The only slight issue I had was with the fuse block (nothing to do with the HID50 kit really). Because the things draw so much more current and you have to use a larger fuse, it's important that you have good connections in the fuse block and keep everything well greased with dialectric grease. I good few months of winter salt and damp here played havoc with the connections. Riding along one day, off-road in the dark and lights just kept cutting out, on-off-on-off The culprit.........

I also find the delay for the high beam to fire up a bit of a nuisance, but I'll live with it to be able to see where the eck I'm going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goss
How many miles on that beast now ?
Just approaching 70,000miles
My Dakar Rally Experience
and blog www.LyndonPoskittRacing.com
My KTM 950 Story
Pyndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #1128
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyndon
I also find the delay for the high beam to fire up a bit of a nuisance, but I'll live with it to be able to see where the eck I'm going
I found the same after I put HID's(not HID50's...but HID's nonetheless) in. I also put a set of aux lights on, with dustjunkies wiring loom:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515447

...and bracket:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=509266

They are halogens, and the way his switch/relay is wired you have the option of using the highbeam trigger to flash the aux lights/highbeam. It's probably not very good for hte HID highbeam bulb or ballast to "pulse " power to it, but it beats the alternative of no flash-ability...
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #1129
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Thanks for the replies, guys. (Hey Pyndon- did you find the chewing gum I stuck to the frame of your bike when I rode it???)

I'm trying to stay away from Aux lights. Been there- would prefer to keep it clean and uncluttered. Maybe that's just part of the deal though, if you want really good, broad illumination?

Old 01-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #1130
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
The only slight issue I had was with the fuse block (nothing to do with the HID50 kit really). Because the things draw so much more current and you have to use a larger fuse, it's important that you have good connections in the fuse block and keep everything well greased with dialectric grease.
I tried searching this thread to see what lights you'd fitted, but it's too bloody long

If you've only upgraded the existing lights to HID (not added aux lights) there shouldn't be any increase in current draw, a 50W HID draws less current than a 55W Halogen. There's a bit of an increase on startup, but once they're lit it settles down again. Fitting the UK 950 headlight switch (yours is a US model?) lets you switch them on with the motor running, which minimises the start load time.

If you added aux lights and uprated the fuse but not the wiring , I'd understand why it melted!
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:07 AM   #1131
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
I'm trying to stay away from Aux lights. Been there- would prefer to keep it clean and uncluttered. Maybe that's just part of the deal though, if you want really good, broad illumination?
Lights that move with the steering are essential for any sort of pitch-and-drift riding at night, IMO. Not sure what else to say - I'm not a fan of clutter but the difference in side-lighting, especialy during cornering, is indispensable IMO.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #1132
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

So that would mean a fork mount? How do you keep them alive on a bike like this???

Old 01-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #1133
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
So that would mean a fork mount? How do you keep them alive on a bike like this???
Tripleclamp mount, yes. They seem to stay alive just fine so far.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:40 PM   #1134
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

UPDATE......Welcome to 2010!

So, my bike is getting tired which is not surprising really because lets face it, it's had a hard life! It's been all over the US, pre-ran the Baja 1000 effectively twice, copper canyon, crossed the Sahara desert, been to Africa twice, been all over Europe and the odd track day thrown in for good measure. Cannot complain, it's never let me down yet, well nothing that could not be recovered at the side of the road.

It's done 68,100miles and I've just returned from a trip to Africa and decided that the oil on the exterior of the engine is probably becoming a little too much!

About 12,000 miles ago, the oil pipe o-ring seals at the bottom of the crank case perished so I replaced those, as did the o-ring seals on the aluminium spacers in the spark plug chambers causing oil to leak from the drain hole on the rear cylinder, fixed those too.

The oil return hose perished and failed last time I was in Europe (mid 2009) and I replaced that with the new assembly with bypass tube etc.

Then , about 8,000 miles ago I noticed a slight misting of oil on the clutch cover. It wasn't too bad at first but it progressively got worse. It was starting to get everywhere and was coming from either between the cylinders or the front edge of the main clutch cover.

5,000 miles ago, just before I headed to Africa, I thought I better get it sorted so I got it in my shop and tore into it the night before we left (I had a tight schedule!) and replaced the oil pressure sensor and crush washer, the starter motor o-ring and removed the clutch cover to inspect before refitting a new gasket. If it was anything other than these three things, I really did not want to know about it the night before leaving!

So, took off on the trip the next morning and within 200 miles it was leaking again, so clearly it was none of those things

Nonetheless, put it to the back of my mind and enjoyed the next 4,500 miles

When I got back, I decided to try and get to the bottom of it. During the trip it also developed a leak when stationary, obviously somewhere in the sump and it looked like it was the seal behind the slave cylinder. Anyway, decided to sort it out.

After 4,700miles of riding......

On closer inspection before cleaning the bike, the only sand free part on the casings was just around the base gasket area between the cylinders, probably a good indication of what the problem was. All the other case joins still had sand over them.

In order to confirm, I removed both front tanks and washed the bike thoroughly. No evidence of oil or sand remained, any Sahara that was on the bike was now on my courtyard floor! After the bike was 100% dried of I dowsed the engine in baby powder and took off for a 5 mile dash (still with both front tanks removed), stopping every mile to inspect.

Sure enough, even after the first mile you could see the culprit. Leaking base gaskets, front and rear cylinders surprisingly. Both leaking in the same spot, left hand side of the back face on the front pot and right hand side of the forward face of the rear pot (from sitting on bike).

Confirmation of the push rod seal leaking....

Spotted this too on the front pipe

And, the lower rear shock bearing is shot too

In 4,700 miles to Africa and back, the bike only used 1 litre of oil which is pretty good in my book considering it got flogged everywhere! I've just checked the cylinder head torques and they are good. The bike has had all the TSB's done by myself from new so I know its not that.

With nothing loose, I'm wondering if it might be breathing a bit heavy, building a bit more crankcase pressure than before and hence the oil leaks.

I think it's time for a bit of work. Maybe pull the pots and check the rings, probably due a freshen up with all the silt and sand it has no doubt sucked through over the years!

Another option would be to just crank the head nuts down a bit and see if it cures the leak Anyone done this before? I'm also wondering if anything else could be causing the increased crank-case pressure? Maybe it just needs new base gaskets?

It's getting fixed either way, I love this bike! If there's one thing about the LC8 engine, whatever is wrong with it, I never worry about it stranding me. Oil leaks, rattles, clunks and mis-fires, whatever is wrong with it, it seems to just keep plugging along.

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #1135
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,842
Quote:
If there's one thing about the LC8 engine, whatever is wrong with it, I never worry about it stranding me.
That's good, Pyn, you should never worry.

(inside joke, in fact I agree, although I've seen some issues, I've yet to be left somewhere by an LC8).

Pyndon, not worrying (and flogging on the poor thing!):

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #1136
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
That's good, Pyn, you should never worry.
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #1137
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer
Tripleclamp mount, yes. They seem to stay alive just fine so far.
Hey Hilslamer not to get too far off topic, but could you post some pic of your mounts. This is my go to thread for all things 9X0 Adventure.

Thanks

Hey Pyndon since it looks like your going to end up pulling the jugs anyway, do you think you'll put new rings in it? Or do you think they have another 60K left in them? Great thread by the way.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 PM   #1138
motolocopat
When in doubt gas it!

Oddometer: 519
A Proper Fix has been earned

I think that your bike has earned a proper fix and refreshening rather then a quick one.

Personnally I believe that a frame up going through of it is in order. One Month Dead of Winter....

A bit of Farkling with some powdercoating of frame and bits with a variety of Orange, Black and Silver.

At least get the top end off if not splitting of cases ..... New Pistons, Rings, freshening up of valves ...a few select tweaks along the way.

...... I have to admit part of this is just selfish on my part as I'd like to see the write up on it but if any 950 has ever earned it
www.moto-loco.com
motolocopat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #1139
Pyndon OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco3738
Hey Pyndon since it looks like your going to end up pulling the jugs anyway, do you think you'll put new rings in it? Or do you think they have another 60K left in them?
Based on the relatively low oil consumption, I'm assuming it doesn't need them. Then again, why else would it just start blowing oil out

Valves are pretty stable to be honest, but I'm sure they are ready for a freshen up.

We'll see...

Pyn
My KTM 950 Story
Old 01-16-2010, 05:49 PM   #1140
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493