considering this one..
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16767.html

thoughts?
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Jacketfanatik
Aspiring Adventurer

Oddometer: 3
What kind of tires are you running - tube or tubeless?
Jacketfanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Jacketfanatik
Aspiring Adventurer

Guess if I weren't so lazy (and new to posting) I would have checked your profile and I'd have known you're riding a 1200GS. Oops... My favorite kit is the "Stop and Go" pocket tire plugger. It works really well with all tubeless tires. I have also used the tire plugger gun but at three times the packaged size of the pocket model it has been retired to the four wheeled coffin I find myself in on occasion during winter. Some of my Iron Butt buddies introduced these to me about 8 years ago and it's all I've used since. I still have a model very similar to the Aerostich set you're looking at but it stays packed away because it just isn't as user friendly. I carry three means of inflating my tires when I'm on the road - a compact bicycle pump (emergency backup), the CO2 inflator with at least 5 small canisters, and the "Slime" mini compressor. On the really long trips I also carry tire irons and a front tire sized inner tube just in case (chronic overpacker/overthinker - I know). Parts Unlimited carries both styles of tire plug kit and the mini compressor I use. Hope this helps. Ride Well.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 AM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
I don't understand the use of co2 when elec compressors are so inexpensive, compact.....and good for more than 1 use.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
the only plug i trust: www.safetyseal.com
Old 06-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #6
Jacketfanatik
Aspiring Adventurer

I carry the CO2 in case my elec compressor goes down. I figure Mr Murphy will be at his best to twart my efforts cause it'll be raining/hailing/snowing with a 50mph wind, no overpass or tree cover to hide under, and no cell phone reception to call for assistance when I get a puncture. I've used the safety seal brand too and it works awesome but for a compact kit for a temporary fix until I can get a new tire at the next stop I wanted something super quick and easy so I opted for the stop and go. Wouldn't be disappointed to have the safety seal in my tool arsenal though...
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
bradatlarge
Insha'Allah

Oddometer: 12,170
Trying not to hijack

So, I've recently got the ADV flavor of Best Rest's kit including all the pump stuff and the stop-n-go kit. The pump works brilliantly to fill the tires of my MTB, the suburban-dad-in-training-mobile (Merc station wagon) and to air up / air down the GS tires for various conditions. Waay cool. Highly recommended.

I'm off to James Bay next week and the creeping thought of getting a flat is on my mind as I run through possible doom-n-gloom scenarios in my head [plan for the worst, hope for the best and all that].

BUT.

What good is the stop-n-go kit if I have a "tear" type tire deflation event? This sort of unfun-ness seems a lot more possible when you're out in the cuds away from your typical conveniences than just your run-of-the-mill puncture.

No?

In the case of a 'tear' out in the midst of nothing, is one simply resigned to a nice long walk to get help?
bradatlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:18 AM   #8
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge
In the case of a 'tear' out in the midst of nothing, is one simply resigned to a nice long walk to get help?
as a last resort, low speed, get back to help you can put mulitiple plugs in..safety seal style plugs of course.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacketfanatik
I carry the CO2 in case my elec compressor goes down.
+1. or if your electricals are having issues at the same time. In a real bad get off, you never know. Cheap insurance. Small. I've actually used the CO2 more than the pump, just because the C02 never leaves my bike...sometimes I remove the pump (well...not anymore...I just picked up a nice lockable tailbag to stow it).
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #10
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradatlarge
What good is the stop-n-go kit if I have a "tear" type tire deflation event? This sort of unfun-ness seems a lot more possible when you're out in the cuds away from your typical conveniences than just your run-of-the-mill puncture.

No?

There is no field repair for a bad tear, or a sidewall puncture.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
the only plug i trust: www.safetyseal.com
which kit?? I'm obviously green at all this. I want something that is going to work, and is quick/easy.
thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 10:25 AM   #12
levain OP
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
oh, and, c02 actually sounds good to me. simple and part of the kit until getting to real air. One less thing to carry. Is two cartridges really enough to fill a tire? Or, am I missing something??
Old 06-25-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
There is no field repair for a bad tear, or a sidewall puncture.
There are heavy duty patches that are glued to the inside the tire.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
PaleHearse
Road Ranger

Oddometer: 1,017
For a real bad tear, having an innertube to fit the front is a great idea. Only issue with this type of repar is that you need to do it at least once in practice before you need to. Same goes with reparing the tear from the inside of the tire with patches. If you've never broken the beed on a tubless front tire before, you had better practice before you need to do it in the field.
PaleHearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
which kit?? I'm obviously green at all this. I want something that is going to work, and is quick/easy.
thanks
anything on this page will do the trick: http://www.safetyseal.com/store/atvkit.htm

i've got the $20 kit since i have all the c02 stuff already.