ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2006, 07:08 AM   #1
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,293
Pissed Lost 6th.

I had to go do a conference 2 hours or so away for the last 3 days, I chose to ride there.

Not far from the house I lost 6th gear. No warning, no strange noises. Although I was wearing earplugs, I always keep an ear on the engine.

It will change up to 6th straight from 2nd or 3rd but as soon as you use engine braking it will jump to 5th and stays stuck in 5th. Then it needs some work to get it down a gear which turns out to be the real 5th . It will then not go back into 6th no matter what you do. So if you want to get it to 6th again you have to go down the gearbox to 2nd or so and then gently back up again. But no engine braking just gentle roll offs using the brakes to slow the engine so that a bit of torque is held on the gear.

What really scared me was that going down a notoriously bad pass the back stepped out big time in the wet when it suddenly changed from 6th to 5th.

I am pissed off as I have had more than my fair share of shit with this bike. I have had the gear selector forks changed under warrantee, which required a complete splittingof the casing to get there.

It goes in to the dealer on Monday.

Anyone eles even heard of this happening to these bikes?

kamanya screwed with this post 06-25-2006 at 07:19 AM
kamanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #2
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
If sounds like the dealer goofed the repair the first time around. Good luck with them on the second.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:39 AM   #3
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

k7If sounds like the dealer goofed the repair the first time around. Good luck with them on the second.

I am not so sure, I have a feeling that there is something that was wrong from the beginning of the bikes life that is causing this.

Gearbox problems on these things are rare, and I have never even read of a problem similar to mine. I have just gotten unlucky. It is a factory issue I am sure.

kamanya screwed with this post 06-25-2006 at 12:04 PM
kamanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya
k7If sounds like the dealer goofed the repair the first time around. Good luck with them on the second.

I am not so sure, I have a feeleing that there is something that was wrong from the beginning of the bikes life that is causing this.

Gearbox problems on these things are rare, and I have never even read of a problem similar to mine. I have just gotten unlucky. It is a factory issue I am sure.
Could be but the dealer should have fixed it the first time around even with factory issues. I agree - appears to be very rare though. What are the lemon-laws like there? Is there a chance for a new start for you?
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #5
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
How can you have a damaged shift fork and not damaged gears? Seems maybe the dealer overlooked a worn gear the first time he/she was in there.
9nine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:17 PM   #6
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

The shift forks were fine it was the rollers on them that were damaged. The bike has three; one was fine, the other had a roller missing and the last one's roller was oval.

They couldn't work out conclusively how this had happened. The bike used to get false neutrals between 3rd and 4th and between 5th and 6th. The 5th and 6th one was the worst as it would rev in neutral but collect 6th before I could catch it with the clutch. The strain I think of whacking 6th destroyed the rollers, that's my theory anyway.

The gears, drum and the rest of the stuff in the gear box was measured and photographed and deemed to be in perfect order.

I checked the stuff myself and it did not even look worn, (and I am a mechanical engineer).

So, now I am hoping that they will be mystified enough to send the engine back to KTM and give me a new one.

I don't see myself being too miffed if they have run out of 950's and send a 990 engine by mistake.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #7
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanya

The gears, drum and the rest of the stuff in the gear box was measured and photographed and deemed to be in perfect order.

I checked the stuff myself and it did not even look worn, (and I am a mechanical engineer).
I was going to suggest try'n to get all this stuff replaced, but it sounds like you are on top of it.

Quote:
Seems like a high posability to me also.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:06 AM   #8
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,311
Sorry to hear this. As you know, I had a similar problem recently. However, opposed to serious advice, I just kept going. Drained the oil, cleaned my steel filing filled sump plug and all that stuff (a freken huge amount - compared it to yours, and dare I say, I had more?) and guess what? She just keeps going and I can shift mostly with perfect results.

I have found a sometimes neutral between 5 and 6, but its not an often found thing so I am thikning that perhaps you did have either

a) A lemon to begin with how bout a full warranty and a collection of a SEnduro (go see them at KTMWC)

b) The mechanics screwed up. There is a chap (cecil penny racing in montague gardens) who has done this before, and I know he has done it successfully)
Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
AntWare
Lost In Translation

Oddometer: 16,483
Kamanya, you could check your oil drain plug, if anythings missing it could be stuck to the magnet, this might let you know if it's spmething serious or not.
I think somewhere down the line they changed the shift drum, i'm pretty sure they have a new part number. I've seen the old and new side by side and the new one has less material machined off of it.

Good Luck mate
stuffing fucking junk food into your mouth.
Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home,
nothing more than an embarrasment to the selfish, fucked up brats you spawned to replace yourself.
Choose your future. Choose life.
I chose not to choose life, I chose something else instead.
AntWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #10
kamanya OP
Andrew to most

Hmmm, 'spose this would cause a bit of a problem...

Well now we know.

If you bike misses 6th as stated above then this could be the reason why.

Despite this, I really do think this is highly unusual, there are big dealers out there who have never even seen the inside of a gearbox. I know, I personally asked a few around the world.

My dealer looks after about 60 of them and this is only the third time they have gone into the gearbox and two of those where mine.

KTM are replacing everything in the gearbox.

I see normal service returning shortly. Yehaa!
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
idahoskiguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
What was the cause?
idahoskiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #12
RAGrote
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,021
The initial failure can be speculated upon but nothing solid.

I would think something else would be broken/bent if the user caused this and.... what the hell would a rider have to do to break that, there?

I'm guessing it was faulty from day one and just decided to fall apart.

IMO, of course.

Glad you found it

I can pound mine and it just laughs at me cuz I'm a pussy......
Old 07-11-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
KAMANYA....my mate has the same problem right now and i actually rode his bike last night and it rode like a bag o' shite.(yep it's black).

I shall forward this link to him and hope he feels better.I must say though that his is due to be sorted by our local dealer.
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #14
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,454

Thats just how mine looked. So, did they miss it the first time, and reopened it ?

Mine was due to a real hard miss shift, and the bike pop'n into gear while the RPM's were up. The dealer fixed and covered everything.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
wsmc99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Friend of mine has his in the shop right now for the exact same thing.
They cited material problems even with the replacement parts.
wsmc99 is offline   Reply With Quote