ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007, 09:08 AM   #46
HokieDNA01
Dirty Sport Girl!

Oddometer: 183
Thanks for the info. I took the XT out for her first spin yesterday. Went to visit a friend and he told me about some trails in the woods behind his house. Man do I have some learning to do on that bike. I rode up this muddy hill only to find a tree branch across my path. It just about clothes lined me. Then I started up another hill and slipped on the mud only to end up on my ass. Took about 5 mins to get the bike up since I had no traction on the mud. There has got to be an easier technique to pickin up a dirt bike than what ever I was doing. (do you turn the bars towards you or away?)

riding off road is going to be a challenge. I learned to ride on street so I"m used to flat smooth pavement and good traction. But I look forward to improving. I just hope my bike survives the lessons

HokieDNA01 screwed with this post 02-26-2007 at 12:30 PM
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:53 AM   #47
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Welcome to the slop,, I am a noobe as well, I have a buddy that has been riding street for 25 yrs and he says it is a whole diferent world off road, esp in our area where many trails are little more then an over glorified foot trail.

Gonna pass on some wisdom passed on to me when I brought a new truck out to the ranch I worked on, the ranch ownr looked it over then said "why don't you take that thing down into jack creek and it all scratched up real good, then you can relax and drive this thing not having to worry about when it is going to get scratched.

I have to admit after a few years most of my trucks and past off road vehicles are pretty much ugly, but I have a ball with them.

Sounds like you got your new baby broke in this weekend.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:54 PM   #48
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 6,479
[quote=HokieDNA01] Took about 5 mins to get the bike up since I had no traction on the mud. There has got to be an easier technique to pickin up a dirt bike than what ever I was doing. (do you turn the bars towards you or away?)/quote]

Yeah, Saturdays rain really slicked everything up around here too. Mud sucks, no technique needed I just took a 45 minute spin after work and its pretty nasty out there. As far as picking up the bike, try straightening the wheel, turning around ( facing away from the bike ) and leaning your back/butt into it. This let's your legs do most of the work. From the sound of how you want to ride, it may be best to get good at picking up the bike

Today ride:
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #49
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,917
Was hesitant, but decided to open this old thread back up.
I've been a lurker here for some time. Thought I'd jump in and see what we can cook up.

"Hello, I'm Mike...I ride an '03 Duc ST4s...and I'm addicted."
I ride all around the mid-TN area and am always looking for more places to check out. Mght get out for a big ride a couple times a year. May ride of to SanFran this summer (business trip).

Anyone? Hello?
AMA-262640
ride2little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #50
deaconjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
I'm actually in W. TN but often ride close to Nashville, LBL, Etc. The better riding tends to be East of me.
2000 KX 250
deaconjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:17 AM   #51
DonHo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Hello!

I am Don, from Cookeville. Been riding bikes for 34 years, love all kinds of riding. I do enjoy long day/weekend trips to the smokies or anywhere else. My main ride is a R1200GS, but I do love dual sport, off road etc. If anyone is coming through let me know, I wouldn't mind tagging along. I am not a sport bike rider, but do enjoy a brisk pace. There is really good riding around here.

14 1200GSAW, 12F800gs, 11Griso, 10XR1200, 08S2R1000, 061200RT, 90BMW K1, 77Boneville, 76R75/6
DonHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #52
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
hi guys

I'm just north of Johnson city in VA. Comeing from NH to Va. Where there's no clay, sure is slighty diffrent off-road around here. Drz400 and Wee to play with
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #53
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
From Jackson here. Ride Chickasaw and Natchez SP when I am staying close to home. Like to take 3-4 day weekends and hit local ADV get togethers.
birdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 AM   #54
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Kelly here, I am down in the muscle Shoals Alabama Area. There are lots of Single track in this area, plus the Bankhead national forest has miles and miles of fireroad.

also for you guys north of us, try NATRA http://natra.dirtrider.net/ they have about 7000 acres of mild to wild single track. They are near Lawrenceburg

Currently I have been riding for about 3 years, I don't have a dual sport, just traded my XR650R for a GasGas 300EC. and I have a FZR1000 street bike

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #55
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
just saw this thread. i'm in nashville. lately i'm been exploring and trying to find some dirt roads in the area. there's some fun little roads between here and ashland city.

when i have the time i love going to LBL and riding around up there. nothing too extreme on the gs, but i've had the 2stroke in the woods a good bit.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #56
bill_powell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
...when i have the time i love going to LBL and riding around up there. nothing too extreme on the gs, but i've had the 2stroke in the woods a good bit.
I'm up in Dover; LBL is just down the road. Nice area, but it can get a little crowded at times...
bill_powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #57
Acer
Keepin it on the DL

Oddometer: 33
Thumb

Finally! I've been looking for some peeps to ride with on saturday afternoons. I'm right here in South Nashville, close to 440. Riding a DL650. Any takers? I'll check back in a bit.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM   #58
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

I needs to put on some new tires. I will be ready for a ride soon. There are several other people around Nashville that ride.
I have not hit LBL yet. Something I've been wanting to do.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #59
Acer
Keepin it on the DL

Oddometer: 33
What is this LBL?
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #60
birdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

The Land Between the Lakes. It is a place to go fishing, camping 4 wheeling that kind of thing.Gubment owned.

http://www.lbl.org/Home.html