Old 06-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
DualKroozr OP
KLR650

Oddometer: 14
KLR650 Tire Size/Type Opinnions Wanted

My new-to-me KLR650 has a very aggressive pair of tires on it:

Front: Metzeler MCE Karoo 2, 90/90-21 M/C 54R M+S
Rear: Dunlop D606, 130/90-17 M/C 68R

For my purposes, the bike will see 60% pavement, 30% forest service roads, and 10% sketchy trail use, as well as a Baja trip or two. I don't want to fear laying the bike over a bit through curves, nor riding on wet pavement.

What are your thoughts?

Oh, by the way, what do all the numbers/letters represent in the above tire designations? I'm familiar with automobile tire codes, but not motorcycle tire codes.

Thanks for your input,
DualKroozr
DualKroozr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:30 PM   #2
mtguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Try Mefo tires if you want good longevity. The numbers for tire sizing are width/depth aspect ratio-rim diameter. So a 130/80-17 is a 17 inch diameter- rim tire which is 130mm tread width and the sidewall heigth is 80% of the width measurement. Some tires are labeled for tube type or tubeless and also a speed rating.
mtguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
warewolf
Tyre critic

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualKroozr
what do all the numbers/letters represent in the above tire designations? I'm familiar with automobile tire codes, but not motorcycle tire codes.
'xactly the same. AFAIK they use the same set of markings.

M/C = motorcycle specific tyre
M+S = some mud and snow capability

As someone said here recently, Google is your friend!

Most tyre manufacturers' web sites explain the tyre markings.
The Stable
warewolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
Shrek650

Oddometer: n/a
Kenda 270

thats the only tire for a klr 650
$40.00 rear 5.10x17
$28.00 front 3.25x21
will last 4000 to 5000 miles
can tear it up in the dirt
can lean it over on the pavement
You can waste your time and money but I am of firm thought that you will have the same after one set
Old 07-02-2006, 02:40 AM   #5
AdvCav
Stay Alive - Stay Aware

Oddometer: 42
Maxxis M6006

Old 07-02-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
irishl
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Kendas

Shrek where is the best place to buy kendas?
irishl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:10 AM   #7
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
There are much better tires than Kendas, which feel very squirrely when leaned over on asphalt and are only so-so off road. Try a set of Continental TKC-80s, a true 50/50 tire that is excellent on and off road. Costs more than the Kendas, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy
There are much better tires than Kendas, which feel very squirrely when leaned over on asphalt and are only so-so off road. Try a set of Continental TKC-80s, a true 50/50 tire that is excellent on and off road. Costs more than the Kendas, but sometimes you get what you pay for.
And sometimes you just pay too much for what you get. The Kendas will outlast the TKC80s by two or three times, and cost under $70 a pair. Dunlop D606s work as well or better than the Contis, and figure to outlast them as well. Sixty bucks.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:13 AM   #9
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz
And sometimes you just pay too much for what you get. The Kendas will outlast the TKC80s by two or three times, and cost under $70 a pair. Dunlop D606s work as well or better than the Contis, and figure to outlast them as well. Sixty bucks.
My Kendas were very squirmy when new on pavement when moderately pushed in the twisties, and measurably worse thatn DOT knobbies off road in mud, sand and soft terrain. They did not inspire confidence on any surface condition. After 800 miles, the front Kenda showed little wear but the back had noticeable wear.

The 606s, while good off road, simply are not in the same league as the TKCs on pavement - the TKC is a really good tire on asphalt and dirt, the 606s are lousy on pavement but are good in the dirt.

Anyone have experience they want to share with Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts? I met a KTM 950 rider last week who is a huge fan of this tire for 50/50 riding.
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 06:34 AM   #10
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,791
I've had zero problems with my rear D606 and had it leaned over pretty good a few times on the pavement. Got about 4,500 out of my last one. I see no reason to go with any other rear tire. I'm still up in the air on the front, though.
Krabill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
bitingmytongueoff
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I'm riding a set of scorpions they are not bad only been on them a couple weeks. Hold well on the wet pavement twisties. I might change to a met. enduro 3 Sahara... for wat it's worth
bitingmytongueoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,965
5-year thread resurrection; amazing!

(No criticism intended; maybe newer tires with different characteristics have appeared on the scene since the thread went dormant.)
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
I've had zero problems with my rear D606 and had it leaned over pretty good a few times on the pavement. Got about 4,500 out of my last one. I see no reason to go with any other rear tire. I'm still up in the air on the front, though.
+1 on the D606, excellent on street and dirt, for a DOT tire....
Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Treedguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Considering the Anakee 2s.
KLR is 90% on road.
I've seen 2 sizes for the rear. 140 and 120.
Anyone??
Treedguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
My Kendas were very squirmy when new on pavement when moderately pushed in the twisties, and measurably worse thatn DOT knobbies off road in mud, sand and soft terrain. They did not inspire confidence on any surface condition. After 800 miles, the front Kenda showed little wear but the back had noticeable wear.

The 606s, while good off road, simply are not in the same league as the TKCs on pavement - the TKC is a really good tire on asphalt and dirt, the 606s are lousy on pavement but are good in the dirt.

Anyone have experience they want to share with Pirelli Scorpion A/Ts? I met a KTM 950 rider last week who is a huge fan of this tire for 50/50 riding.

I bought my 09 last year and it had a set of scorpians front and rear, the tires are quite capable on twisties and I can scrape my pegs without a problem, I've been impressed with them off road on service roads and they do not too bad in mud but they're definitely no nobby and you have to ride them accordingly. I got about 6000 miles out of the rear before I convinced myself that I needed a more aggressive rear (put on a hiedeneau m+s and love it) So ive been waiting for my front to wear down so I can replace it to. I've just rolled over 12000 miles and the scorpion front still has probably 30% left, as we all know, that last bit will burn off fast but I have to say i'm really struggling with the idea of replacing it with anything other than another scorpian
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote