User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Trail Tech Vapor

I have this 96 KTM 400 RXC that’s got way to much money sunk into it, so I did the only logical thing, I put more in it.

The stock speedometer strives to be inaccurate but falls short. It would read about 40 mph when it should be readying 65 or 70. It had to go.

I decided to try the new trail tech Vapor system. It is very reasonably priced at $99.00 but I sprung for the aluminum holder, a good choice.

The kit came with everything needed for a 2000 and up KTM, unfortunately I had a 96. The first call to Trail Tech, they shipped the right sensor out, no charge with no hassle and apologized for the mistake.

The unit is nicely made. It reads water temperature, outside air temperature, speed and has a built in tach. Every thing I needed and a bunch of other functions.

The water sensing unit was the hardest to install. I found a good spot for in in between the backbone right behind the radiator.

The tach only needs to be wrapped around the spark plug wire 10 times. Cold shrink wrap tape to the rescue, this stuff is great.

I decided to tap and install a threaded allen bolt for the sensor on the front wheel.

The cable was easily attached to the brake cable and all is well. I used some of my favorite black cloth tape and its ready for action.

The instructions were very clear and I only found one mistake that was corrected on the installation sheet.

It took a couple of spacers to make it fit the bar mounts. I used a couple of valve stem nuts and drilled them out a bit.

The set up is so adaptable. You can set the tach for one or two stroke motors, and there are adjustments for about any timing combination you could find. My LC4 ended up being a spark every revolution? The water temperature has a max and then a warning temperature. You can also set it up to signal a shift point, and there is an over rev light too. I am about to go out and set the odometer with my GPS, when it cools off a bit this evening.

Great product and the service was great. Some one answered the phone every time I called, what a change.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:09 PM   #2
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
I have this 96 KTM 400 RXC that’s got way to much money sunk into it, so I did the only logical thing, I put more in it.

I decided to try the new trail tech Vapor system. It is very reasonably priced at $99.00 but I sprung for the aluminum holder, a good choice.

Nice writup Mars One heckuva deal at $99.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:40 PM   #3
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

I thought so too. They have two other models, one seems suited for enduro and the other seems suited for road racing or anything with loops.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:09 AM   #4
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
thanks for posting, I been waiting till after all the 4th of July Hoopty due to get one one order, Write back and let us know how you like it in real life, I will post my install and others can compare
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

I mounted my gps on the bike and took it out for a 20 mile ride last night and had the speedo dialed in perfectly. You can adjust it down to the inth degree.
It took about 3 adjustments to get it right on.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
You can adjust it down to the inth degree.
Cripes, I was hopin' for 1/2 an inth....

Nice writeup, Mars
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 06:59 PM   #7
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Cripes, I was hopin' for 1/2 an inth....

Nice writeup, Mars
A fellow perfectionist, others don't understand.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
ganshert
not sleeping

Oddometer: 8,007
And I thought you spelled Veypor wrong.

http://www.veypor.com/
ganshert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #9
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Thanks for posting Mars. I have a 96 620 Rxc that I need to start working on. The Veypor was on my list to replace the broken speedo with.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
Thanks for posting Mars. I have a 96 620 Rxc that I need to start working on. The Veypor was on my list to replace the broken speedo with.
I think the Veypor is more of a track tool.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
I think the Veypor is more of a track tool.
Doh, that's what I get for scanning the thread. I meant the Vapor from Trail Tec. That Veypor comment at the end got me. My bad.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
KenR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,668
Nice install. If you have a side view picture of the whole bike, would you mind posting it? I have a buddy that just ended up with a 90-somethin' LC4 and we're trying to identify the year.

Thanks!
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,994
Nice write up, pretty amazing price, might have to spring for one.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
ktmnate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,010
Very nice Mars! This is now going to be the next thing I get for my 620. I blew a hole in my piston due to low water lever. That water temp guage is priceless!

Nate
ktmnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #15
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
I just put the first 2 miles on my Vapor. Installed it on my XR650R which is plated, but had no speedo because the seller kept the Endurance he had on it. So I at least had a magnet in the front disc and the hole for the speedo sensor already drilled. Rest was not so hard to do. Battery hooked up, then the 10 wraps around the Spark plug wire, held in place with a zip tie. Then I used a 2mm think aluminum plate from an old electronics box project and built me a nice mount for the unit. Rock solid. Gotta take some pix I guess, otherwise I'll never hear the screams of "useless post without pix"

The radiator deal was more involved, though:

Since I wanted to change coolant to engine ice anyway, I flushed the system with distilled water a few times. Then I cut the hose for the senor T-unit and realized it's too small for the hose size. Read about this in another thread so it didn't come as a big surprise. Some Teflon plumber's tape to build up the plastic sensor T unit to the rescue, but then the hose clamps they sent didn't even fit over the hose. Trip to Autozone and $4 later I had two clamps that fit.

Filled the thing with Engine Ice, checked for leaks, checked coolant level, all ok. Get bike off the stand, get gear, hop on and put the first 2.4 miles on the unit. Coolant is at 132 F right now, half an hour after the run.

What I can't figure out is how to use the Stop Watch on the unit, but luckily that is the least imortant feature. Everything else seems to work fine.

For $100, this is a pretty darn nice unit, and I don't think it's a trail tool. They sell a different uniti for that called the Lynx (http://www.trailtech.net/lynx.htm) which has remote start stop buttons for lap timing, etc. I bought the Vapor because it lets me monitor the XR's coolant temp and beyond that provides basic speed and distance info.

Peter
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote