User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
petravespa OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Laugh Camping Stoves!

I am wondering if anyone can recommend what is the best compact camping stove to purchase that uses gasoline as a fuel source!
I will be making a trip to Northern Quebec and wil be taking along 2 one gallon gasoline Rotopax cans. I want to carry single fuel for the bike and stove. easy to fill both! I have read reviews on the SVEA 123, Optimus 111, MSR XGK, etc. Size is important, I am limited in space in BMW Vario cases. Looking for advice/feedback from RTW riders or weekend warriors!

Thanks, BTW, my first post!
petravespa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #2
the_gr8t_waldo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,135
I have owned a svea123 for back packing- great lil stove if you're heating up liquids. but a bit pricey these days for what it does. cooking bacon and eggs would be a different animal all together and I believe beyond the range of the tiny backpacking 123.
the_gr8t_waldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
I have had the same MSR stove for about 25 years now. I *think* I bought it in 90 or 91. Even after long naps in storage, it fires right up every time.
XGK has less adjustable flame, the Dragonfly is more adjustable.

While I run it on mostly white gas, it will run on anything if I change the jet. (Don't think you have to in the new ones)

I use white gas because it burns cleaner (less carbon soot buildup) and does not stink as bad if you get it on your hands... and you will at some point.

Nothing kills the appetite like smelling gas/diesel on your hands.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 5,460
MSR Whisperlite international.....

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
That's the one!

They still make the damn things, although mine has the looped metal legs.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
SVEA 123!

anvil simple, comes w/ cleaning/repair tools & a tiny pot w/ handle

you might want to add to it would be a Nalgene fuel dropper(REI) for getting it started more easier & safer

http://www.rei.com/product/634320/na...bottle-2-fl-oz

the 123 has a hollowed out spot where the WORKS screws into the top of the tank

igniting a few drops of fuel, placed in that hollowed out area, warms up the tank contents & becomes the 123's source of internal pressure(the GENERATOR)

also, get a modern FLINT STRIKER for fool proof ignition(anywhere)

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...9315/cat110197

now, allz you kneadz iz a fuel funnel(anywhere)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Fuel...creen/29764552

yes, the 123 is pricy butt, being made of brass, it will last you a lifetime

i bought mine used, over 20 years ago and it still does the job

just an OLD MAN'S 2 worth

sw
Old 08-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #7
TebKLR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Svea 123

Clarification please (sorry if this is a highjack!):

I have a 123R and love it! But I recall reading somewhere (instructions???) that was white gas only. True?

Thanks!
TebKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #8
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,457
Decades Ago..YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TebKLR View Post

I have a 123R and love it! But I recall reading somewhere (instructions???) that was white gas only. True?

Thanks!

Consider fuel sources as well as size and weight.

I now use the MSR WLI which will burn damn near any fuel...not just "white gas"...I carry a simple squeeze pump [like on outboard fuel cans] and tubing to pull fuel our my GSA fuel tank [It is my KC135] if needed and I carry a full liter MSR aluminum bottle [2lbs]...

If you are in BFE and need fuel the MSR is a life saver..short of a wood fire..which I use as often as I can to save fuel.

This stove [MSR] also has a "rattle" to clean off nozzle of carbon...simply shake it and it is clean..

Oh, perhaps 40+ years ago my stove was Svea123 and even then you could buy a small Coleman style pressurizing pump to replace the filler cap and then did not have to put fuel in the cup in an attempt to heat the stove and vaporize the fuel...tough to do when it is below zero...loved that little stove..

There are ton of light wt canister stoves out there, but finding canisters and disposing of them always an issue...BTUs VS wt...don't know but I bet the MSR comes out on top...and the cost of canisters is high.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:

Thanks!
"WHITE GAS" back in the day, was UNLEADED GAS

they used a red/pink dye in LEADED GAS

no dye in UNLEADED, therefore, WHITE GAS

IMHO, combined w/ my feeble remembery

what do you buy @ the pump, today, if it ain't UNLEADED?

sw
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,609
I've mostly used a little Coleman 535 for nearly 20 years with no problems. A bit bulky, but utterly reliable, can run on bike gas if necessary, and it actually will simmer.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 PM   #11
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
I have 4 different msrnstoves an whisperlite intl. a dragonfly, and xgf??? And a whisperlite butane. I like them all but my favorite is the dragonfly for it's simmering ability. Not the most compact or the lightest but works great for me. If you are doing high altitudes don't do canisters because they lose pressure, and don't work very good when they are cold. I like to use white gas because if it spills it evaporates quickly
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 PM   #12
MNroadpig
n00b

Oddometer: 1
MSR Whisperlight

Not the most compact, but with normal maint. a very good easy to use stove. Great btu's full open. Will burn many types of fuel including 80 proof grain alcohol (but why waste it). Bring a service book with if you have not had it apart. Gets dirty rather quickly, but easy to take care of. My 2 cents
MNroadpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 PM   #13
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 787
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
+1. I have that one, a 27 year old one and I bought my son one. Have never been let down by the MSRs. Compact, efficient, reliable.

Note: the Whisperlites are great for boiling, but not for simmering. Plan meals accordingly. Pick up a Dragonfly if you are a gourmet.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:37 AM   #14
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,873
Quote:
123R and love it! . . . white gas only. True?!
Pump gas causes some stoves to clog more often and some external parts to get more soot on them.

With my Svea 123, there are more sooty parts and refueling means taking off the windscreen so I'm likely to get sooty hands. The jet does clog more with pump gas but mine has the cleaning needle on the valve (not the shaker needle) and it unclogs very easily.

I don't think the Svea 123 was ever sold as mult-fuel, but I have run a lot of pump gas through mine. The main disadvantage for me was getting sooty hands.

With my Primus Omni, the sooty part is smaller than a shot glass and it's nothing that I have to handle when operating the stove or when refueling.

WELCOME petravespa! While the Svea 123 has a long history of reliable cooking, it is heavier and larger than many other stoves.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:20 AM   #15
norham
flagrant bozo

Oddometer: 328
Optimus 8R is always my favorite....
norham is offline   Reply With Quote