Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 AM   #16
JcbKarl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
I put a Trail Tech Vapor on my CRF250X and have ridden about 100 miles with it so far. For $100 I am extremely pleased. I guess my only peave is that it automatically reverts out of the total distance screen (one of three screen displays) too soon in my opinion. I haven't bothered to call Trail Tech to see if that's how they all are. You also can't show engine temp and trip distance on the same screen. The first screen shows ambient temp with trip distance. The second screen shows engine temp with rpm.

But all in all I love it. The rpm bar graph actually works very well but is really suited best to engines that run between 4000 and 9000 rpm because that is the high resolution part of the bar graph. It's also got numerical readout of rpm which updates at a perfect sample rate in my opinion. Engine temp is great to have, I realized that I don't need an auxiliary cooling fan (which doesn't come stock on CRF250X). In fact, if I'm in second gear or higher and it's cold out, I should probably cover up one of the radiators.

It's so cool, I want to put one on my lawnmower.
JcbKarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #17
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,355
I put one on my KLX250S. I didn't much care for the stock gages and the speedo was off by over 10% . I had 2800 miles on my KLX at the time, and didn't want to have to mentally add 2800 miles to the odometer, and since the permanent odometer function is not settable, I just attached the spare magnet to a motor shaft, set the wheel size to be very large, then set the spinning magnet next to the speedo sensor until I had accumulated the 2800 miles to catch up. Took a few hours of 250 MPH, but otherwise worked fine.

I like the Vapor a lot - and is definitely a good deal at only $99.

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #18
XTman
Do NOT follow me...

Oddometer: 62
I will try to install one on my Yamaha XT600 2001, if I find out what model is
right for my bike.

Thank you!

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive
where we started and know the place for the first time."
T. S. Eliot
XTman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #19
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,342
Hell i might mount one of those on my dog,as he gets to backfiring and overheating running around the yard when i mow the lawn or start a two stroke. Probably need a battery pack settup to make that work. Can you see the screen good enuff when your out in the sun? a friend had one of these and it used to go blank if left out in the sun.

Foot dragger screwed with this post 12-16-2010 at 08:56 AM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #20
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 546
Well, I finally had to order one of these. Was gonna get the Veypor unit to have the gear indicator, but I just couldn't get past the odd look of it. (esp. for the price) The Trail Tech unit looks more sexy through my eyes. I hope it works as well as everyone says.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
dgunther
rides ugly bikes

Oddometer: 226
I just finished instaling one of these on my 640 Adventure to replace the crapped out Touratech IMO.

It works very well, but has a few little "quirks" you have to get used to.

There is no LC4 "kit", but the KTM kit with the in-hose coolant splice will work. However, the coolant temp lead is *just barely* long enough to reach from the straight stretch in the frame to the dash of an Adventure. If you're mounting to the triple clamp, no worries. I bought the kit that was supposed to replace the stock KTM pickup, but it did not work on my forks because the brake disc was different, so I needed to make a new simple speedo pickup bracket to replace the one that was used with my stock KTM speedometer pickup. No big deal, just a flat piece of aluminum with a couple holes drilled in it.

The screen with the trip odometer (screen #1) displays the ambient temperature instead of the coolant temperature. This pretty silly because the screen that shows coolant temp (screen #2) has a second tach display (digital tach in addition to the bar graph) on it where the trip odo was in sceen #1.

It *really* needs to be hooked directly to a battery. Connecting it to a switched lead causes the trip odo and clock to reset frequently at power-up. However, connecting it to the battery causes the back light to remain on for 20 minutes or so after the last pulse from the speedometer pickup. I think the run-time counter also increments during this time. I doubt that it actually draws enough power to run down your battery in any way, but it looks kinda weird.

There is an undocumented feature to change the total mileage and total run time -
Defined sequence is entry of a secret factory factory code into the wheel size setting (9110); then user presses right button for 3 seconds to enter the first programming mode. To show that the computer is in the programming mode, the clock feature will flash. Then user can the press center button to get to the ODO and ART data, and enter the desired number. The computer will stay in this programming mode until the reset button on the back of the computer is pressed. Please note that user must the change wheel size setting back to primary WS for their machine.
I found that I did not need to use the reset button to exit this programming mode, it would exit automatically once I had cycled through all the available parameters.

dgunther screwed with this post 08-05-2007 at 03:31 PM
dgunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #22
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Got mine up and working on my DR650. Wasn't too hard. Happy with it so far. I kept the OEM speedo to compare numbers. Have found that my OEM speedo was/is reading 70 mph @ true 60 mph. Also found that the odometer was reading o.2 miles more than the Vapor unit every tankfull of gasoline. I had to make an offset bar to mount the unit to in order to have clearance for the key switch. This might be used later to mount a switch for electric accessory.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:31 PM   #23
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgunther
The screen with the trip odometer (screen #1) displays the ambient temperature instead of the coolant temperature. This pretty silly because the screen that shows coolant temp (screen #2) has a second tach display (digital tach in addition to the bar graph) on it where the trip odo was in sceen #1.

It *really* needs to be hooked directly to a battery. Connecting it to a switched lead causes the trip odo and clock to reset frequently at power-up. However, connecting it to the battery causes the back light to remain on for 20 minutes or so after the last pulse from the speedometer pickup. I think the run-time counter also increments during this time. I doubt that it actually draws enough power to run down your battery in any way, but it looks kinda weird.

There is an undocumented feature to change the total mileage and total run time -
Defined sequence is entry of a secret factory factory code into the wheel size setting (9110); then user presses right button for 3 seconds to enter the first programming mode. To show that the computer is in the programming mode, the clock feature will flash. Then user can the press center button to get to the ODO and ART data, and enter the desired number. The computer will stay in this programming mode until the reset button on the back of the computer is pressed. Please note that user must the change wheel size setting back to primary WS for their machine.
I found that I did not need to use the reset button to exit this programming mode, it would exit automatically once I had cycled through all the available parameters.
I have been using mine for about a year, I got one of the very first models and the screen went blank eventually and they fixed it no charge but told me that it had been attacked by a chemical cleaner. I know it wasn’t and from then on if it even gets sprinkled the entire screen goes a solid dark color. Mine has started going dead in between runs, the internal battery is supposed to take care of this. I tried a new battery yesterday and its already dead. I suspect my entire unit needs to be replaced. Connecting it to the battery leads will probably solve this problem but it’s supposed to handle being turned off. I am with you on the first screen. It would be nice to have the option to change the fields from screen to screen.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #24
mars OP
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,893
sometimes mine would reset it's self when I powered the bike off. I called Trail Tech last week and the sent me a new one no questions asked. Great customer service.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #25
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Vapor update

Just sending an update on the Vapor unit I have. After 5 months, It's been working great so far. I've been riding in all kinds of weather. Works great for me. One thing I would recommend is putting the tach signal wire to the coil directly. Inductive pick up style works, but the reading jumps around sometimes.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #26
zeRax
waaargh

Oddometer: 13
im looking at fitting one too, to make more space on my 06 xr250L,

so i can fit a ballast under it, stock speedo cluster is huge., wonder if ill have any problems withthe xxxxx volts zooming close to the tacho pickup wires, :x
zeRax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #27
talldaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
About to take the plunge...

My new-to-me KTM 450 EXC has a dead odo/hour meter. The Vapor looks like a great upgrade, however, they have raised their price to $125. Looks like still a bargain, particularly with the level of customer service people have received.....
04 450 EXC
talldaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #28
McMaster
Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer: 298
Just Mounted a Trail Tech Vapor on my KLR650

Well they do have great customer support as I recieved the box but both the lead wire and the Tack wires were missing called shipped me both immediatley no questions. I have all the wires in place except the Speedometer as this has presented a problem with the stock brake caliper and position. SO I conntacted them today and hopefully they have a solution. Otherwise I suppose I can finally justify a new larger Brake rotor .
Any suggestions for a custom mount saw someone made there own aluminum bracket seems simple enough I suppose
Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #29
McMaster
Any Direction Anytime

Oddometer: 298
Custom install on Speedometer cable help

Quote:
I just finished instaling one of these on my 640 Adventure to replace the crapped out Touratech IMO.

It works very well, but has a few little "quirks" you have to get used to.

There is no LC4 "kit", but the KTM kit with the in-hose coolant splice will work. However, the coolant temp lead is *just barely* long enough to reach from the straight stretch in the frame to the dash of an Adventure. If you're mounting to the triple clamp, no worries. I bought the kit that was supposed to replace the stock KTM pickup, but it did not work on my forks because the brake disc was different, so I needed to make a new simple speedo pickup bracket to replace the one that was used with my stock KTM speedometer pickup. No big deal, just a flat piece of aluminum with a couple holes drilled in it.

I was interested in your ideas on doing this I am running into a problem where there speedometer cable is just not going to fit my rotor so I would like to know did you cut theres down how did you come up with yours that I could work with!
Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #30
fallzboater
Kiss My Shiny Metal Ass

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Thanks for posting that, now I have to run home and try it on my Vector [edit: it works exactly the same]. I just put one on my Elefant, which only has the odometer in kilometers, and a mechanical speedo (innacurate) and tach. The stock speedo cable was broken for about 5k miles while I rode it across country (I used my GPS for speed/odo), so it'd be cool to have the actual miles shown on the Vector. That's a good trick to know if you ever want to move the computer to another bike, too.

With the air/oil cooled Duc motor, I'm using the thermocouple spark plug washer temp sensor. It works well, although I had to set it to degrees C because the maximum displayed value is 300, and it goes over 300 F pretty quickly. The only thing is that I don't really have any idea where to set the warning lights. I may switch to an oil temp sensor at some point.

I'm using the bar-mounted remote, and the only issue there is that the cord length can limit the display location on some bikes. It's fine if you're mounting near the tripleclamp, but in my case I've got it mounted up above the gages near the base of the windscreen, and I wish it was longer. They sell extensions for the temp sensors (I bought the 21" one), but not for the remote.

I like the service reminders; I've got it set for 3k for oil and 6k for valve clearance check/adjust on the Duc 2V.

Another thing that would be nice is if you could adjust the backlight level. It's a bit bright for night riding. The connectors are also a little fiddly if you have to seperate them.
DoD #1360

'94 Cagiva e900 Elefant
'01 Aprilia Fuono
'94 Miata CSP

fallzboater screwed with this post 10-14-2008 at 06:19 PM
fallzboater is offline   Reply With Quote