ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2006, 08:40 PM   #1
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
OT -- Aspen backpacking questions

Way off topic, but I'm trying to organize a 3-day backpacking trip in August with two friends and am eyeing the Hunter-Fryingpan wilderness area. Specifically, Midway Creek (tr#1993) to Hunter Creek to Aspen. The trail starts at the Lost Man campground on Hwy 82, 14 miles east of Aspen, and after crossing Midway Pass appears to be a steady walk downhill to town. That's especially good for my friends, who are flying in from sea-level. I figure if they start gasping for breath, I can just roll them down the hill .

Since it's a one-way hike, I'll want to leave my car near the trail end, in Aspen.

Questions:
1. Is there a bus/shuttle service that goes from town up towards Independence Pass? If not, is hitch-hiking feasible on Hwy 82?
2. Where is a good place in town to park my car for 3 days?
3. Any good (simple, relatively inexpensive) restaurants you can recommend? Vegetarian options are a plus. Hopefully for breakfast on a Saturday as we come off the trail...though maybe lunch if we're slowpokes.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
weems
Oops!

Oddometer: 559
I've taken parts of that walk. I think it'll be outstanding, and yeah, mainly downhill after that pass.

No shuttle up Independence. When in August. I'm out of town for July but back here for the first two weeks of August and maybe could help--ferrying your car and parking it at my house.

Explore Booksellers has incredibly good vegie food. First choice by far for that.
weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems
I've taken parts of that walk. I think it'll be outstanding, and yeah, mainly downhill after that pass.

No shuttle up Independence. When in August. I'm out of town for July but back here for the first two weeks of August and maybe could help--ferrying your car and parking it at my house.

Explore Booksellers has incredibly good vegie food. First choice by far for that.
Thanks for the info, Weems. We'll be driving up from Denver and hitting the trail Thursday August 3rd. Planning to spend Thursday and Friday night on the trail, and finish in Aspen sometime on Saturday. Any help/advice/info you could offer would be really appreciated!

My wife and I swung through Aspen last weekend for the first time, on our way home from Moab. Stopped into Explore bookstore and saw the cafe menu, but couldn't stay for a meal. Looked awesome! Thanks for confirming it. The cafe didn't open until 11.30. Any place you like in town for breakfast?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
weems
Oops!

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas80210
Thanks for the info, Weems. We'll be driving up from Denver and hitting the trail Thursday August 3rd. Planning to spend Thursday and Friday night on the trail, and finish in Aspen sometime on Saturday. Any help/advice/info you could offer would be really appreciated!

My wife and I swung through Aspen last weekend for the first time, on our way home from Moab. Stopped into Explore bookstore and saw the cafe menu, but couldn't stay for a meal. Looked awesome! Thanks for confirming it. The cafe didn't open until 11.30. Any place you like in town for breakfast?
yeah. The locals eat at the Wienerstube (or Poppycocks). The 'stube is the best for me.

How'd you like Independence? Great road, eh?

As luck will have it, I will be there on those dates. I'm guiding some hikers, but if we work the times right, there is no reason, I can't drop you off, and then take your car, and park it at my house. I'd have to work around my other engagement, but I'd be pleased to help you out. If I get stuck, maybe I can get a friend to do it.

As the time gets near, let's work out the sched, and I'll see what I can coordinate. I'm off to Rhode Island (and NYC) as of tomorrow, but you can pm me anytime.

If you come through again in Sept., give me a call, and I'll sneak out and ride wif y'all.
weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Hakatan OP
quality > quantity

Thanks Weems. PM sent.