Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #31
word1
I'm working on it...

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingman
I talked to a buddy who knows some riders who also own/run an auto repair service. They claim I do not need to rebalance(continue using the existing weights) the wheels since it is a tubeless tire. I'm wondering if anyone else by-passes this step and what your experience has been???
I don't agree with the thought that you don't need to rebalance because it is a tubeless tire.

When the tire maker 'marks' the light spot on a tire it allows you to position the tire on the wheel to minimize the amount of weight needed. Once you locate the true heavy spot of the bare wheel and determine how much weight the wheel needs to balance, you can often remount the same brand/model of tire without much change.

I've tried many different tires on our machines (and mounted tires for other folks) and in my experience, only Metzeler and Bridgestone mark the tire. I've never seen marks on Michelin (Anakee & Pilot Road), Conti (RA & TA) or Avon (Storm & Azarro). Dunno about Dunlop, etc...

When remounting Tourance on my GS, or Z6 on mrs word1's Roadster, the amount and location of wheel weights doesn't change much. However, when remounting Conti Road Attacks on my GS, or Avon Storm on the Roadster it's a total crap shoot: the location and amount of wheel weight is completely random. I suspect I could dismount & spin the tire on the rim, but it's not worth the effort for me.

FWIW, I check balance every time I mount a tire. It doesn't take much time (thanks, Marc Parnes ) so why not?

_jay
If it breaks, Repair it.
Repeat.
word1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #32
PukaWai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Nice write-up and pics, doug. I might add a couple of things: If you don't have a 3/4 ton pickup, a 2x4, and old railroad parts about, then look into this gizmo: http://www.tyrepliers.com.au/ Works great, although there are only a couple of places in the US that sell them. If you are a tinkerer and have a welding machine, it would not be that tough to make. As a lubricant I use ru-glyde, which you can find at Napa. Works better than anything else I've tried on rubber. Too bad it doesn't come in anything smaller than 1 gal.
If you're in So. Cal, I've gotten the curvy irons at Chaparral in San Bernardino.
PukaWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #33
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,546
Dennis Kirk and Lockhart Philips have the nice long tire irons.

the famous james
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #34
hazard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
NIce write up......

WIll try when the time comes. May get a balancer from Marc, but for now I use the dyna beads on the GT. Had it up to 140 and ran smooth.

09 Solo Baja Trip
07 K1200GT
08 GSA
hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #35
dsavage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
tire changing

Got tired of paying $100 labor and retail for tires so I bought a tire changer from Harbour Freight. Went to Marc Parnes website and ordered a balancer and actually talked to the man. He suggested that I buy a gallon of RuGlide from NAPA instead of using soap and water to lubricate the tires. This is some kind of slippery stuff that made it easy for this Noob to remove the stock tires. Also ordered a set of MoJo blocks and a MoJo tool. They work great. You can get to his website from a link on Marc Parnes. My total cost is around $300 and I will get that back in no time.
dsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 AM   #36
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
I posted a home made balancer for an R1100S on another forum, waiting for a GS to show up and use it on.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ghlight=ersatz

Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,996
Looks like fun if you have the time, but I pull the wheel, drive 4 miles and the guy swaps them out in about 5 minutes with a real tire machine, usually for $5. Dynabeads for balance.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #38
alainmax
ca vaut le detour !!

Oddometer: 614
hi Doug,.

fantastic tutorial as I freak out thinking about my first and next flat on the road. thank you for taking the time and photos are great

Which patches are you using and where do you get them ?? ( the ones you keep with you while riding)??

thank you , thank you so much
please PM me
Old 02-09-2009, 11:44 AM   #39
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Bump

I just read the thread and it convinced me that even this Noob could do this. I just ordered the Marc Parnes BMW Tire Balance Kit, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. That is after I tend to Mrs. Adv Randy's Valentine!!!

Thx for doing this thread. . . . .
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #40
ADV Fool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Where do purchase your Tourances

I can get a set of MEZ6's for the RT or Tourances for the GS shipped to my door for under $215, so after only one tire change I'm already saving money. Doug

[/quote]

$215 for front and rear Tourances? Where can I buy them?

Thx ADV Randy
2010 HD Ultra "Limited"
ADV Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #41
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 384
Rim protectors

Has anyone found rim protectors that will fit on the GS spoked wheels?

Joe
Old 02-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #42
Barney Fife
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
With this thread as an inspiration, I just changed the rear tire on my 1150 using the plastic strips as suggested by the OP. Cheap, easy to use, and no scratches.

I have a set of the Motion Pro rim protectors that I tried to use on my KTM 450 EXC black wheels and just gave up and used the plastic strips again with good results.

YMMV
Barney Fife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:43 PM   #43
8MoreMiles
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
good info

nice post with good descriptions. I've saved this one so I can re-reference, makes it sound easy.

Thanks again
8MoreMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #44
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
The photo & copy by the OP are top shelf.
I too have enjoyed doing my own tire changes & cleaning of the inside of the rim that you can bet a dealer will not take the time to do.
What I have found to do a balance job that is on going for the life of the changing tread is Ride-On. Your tire will not maintain its balance for thousands of miles as it was originally balanced. Check out the Ride-On product. [ride-on.com] It does cost more than the beads but it will also seal your tire against blow outs. Have used this product for years & never been disappointed. It will not stop a side wall blow out but nothing else will either.
Wolfgang55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #45
Long Gone
Objectivist

Oddometer: 245
Front tire not sealing

Any ideas on how to get a front Tourance to seal to the rim so I can even begin to inflate it? I've tried a tie-down strap around the circumference to force the bead in to the rim but I can't put enough pressure on it to do any good. I've seen an inflatable strap used for cage tires but I need something for on the road as well as at the house.

No, I don't particularly want to try the WD-40 and a lighter technique. But I'd love to watch someone else try it. On their bike.

“One travels more usefully when alone, because he reflects more” Thomas Jefferson
Long Gone is offline   Reply With Quote