Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #106
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Thanks for the reply- I tackled my tire project over the weekend and learned that the standard cones DO NOT fit the rear of the 1150 GSA I went with 2 and a half oz of .25 gram Airsoft pellets for the rear, Parnes balancer for the front. Gonna do a little comparison. Interestingly, I found that the previous owner had used Dynabeads in both the front and rear tires of my bike.... they're now all over the floor of my shed. The front TKC was quite cupped out and causing an out of round sensation in the bars.... While the rear was in great shape- just worn out. I wonder if the quantity of beads is sufficient for a front tire like a TKC with the large knobs and its tendency to cup? There didn't seem to be enough of them in there to do a hell of a lot. The quantity of Airsoft beads was quite a bit more substantial (284 of the .25 gram beads to equal 2.5 oz, btw)

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #107
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba View Post
Thanks for the reply- I tackled my tire project over the weekend and learned that the standard cones DO NOT fit the rear of the 1150 GSA I went with 2 and a half oz of .25 gram Airsoft pellets for the rear, Parnes balancer for the front. Gonna do a little comparison. Interestingly, I found that the previous owner had used Dynabeads in both the front and rear tires of my bike.... they're now all over the floor of my shed. The front TKC was quite cupped out and causing an out of round sensation in the bars.... While the rear was in great shape- just worn out. I wonder if the quantity of beads is sufficient for a front tire like a TKC with the large knobs and its tendency to cup? There didn't seem to be enough of them in there to do a hell of a lot. The quantity of Airsoft beads was quite a bit more substantial (284 of the .25 gram beads to equal 2.5 oz, btw)
You're on the right track..I switched to airsoft from Dyna Beads just because they are easier to handle..used more (weight) as well..I am definitely getting better performance (Mileage cupping) from this set of Anakees than any previous set..More wont hurt..but not enough is..well, not enough..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #108
manfromthestix OP
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,139
(284 of the .25 gram beads to equal 2.5 oz, btw)

You counted them? You've got more spare time than I have!

I think one reason the front cups more than the rear is because you're frequently spinning the rear and that has a tendency to wear down the tire more evenly. There's another good reason to do a few roosts every time you ride! One reason I quit buying Tourances was that they seemed to cup out on the front with very few miles on them and then you got to feel the "Tourance Wobble" for many more miles. I've run two sets of the Shinkos on my GS and they get a bit cupped over time, but not any worse than the Metzelers for 1/2 the cost.

I put some Shinko 244's on my WR250R and they are labeled "Golden Boy" on the sidewall. WTF? Who puts stuff like that on a tire? All I need now is time to go do a wear test on those things; I've only ridden the WR 500 miles since I bought it over four months ago .

Doug
Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #109
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

SWIMBO hid her Oz scale and went off to work- Had to figure it out somehow! Interesting to actually hear those beads rolling around in there after I aired the tires up..... Time will tell how well I like the concept- sure was easier than waiting on a static balance and applying lead!

Old 05-09-2014, 10:38 AM   #110
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Bad Tourance or technique?

This past week I removed the worn rear Tourance on my 08 GSA and
attempted to mount a new one. This is the 4th rear Tourance I have
changed on this bike and until now, never had a problem.

I got the new tire on the rim without a problem, but couldn't get the bead to
seat. There was one area on the tire ( both sides of the rim ) that would inflate, not "pop", hold pressure and remain almost an inch from the rim.

I am using liberal amounts of Dawn dish washing detergent and water, which again, has worked great on a couple dozen other tires of various types, including Tourance.

I have a compressor with plenty of PSI and volume, but the inflator head will only fill with the valve stem inserted. I used "extra pressure" a couple times, which I know is NOT the thing to do, but it still wouldn't "pop".

I tried totally removing the tire a couple times, made sure there was no
build-up on the rim, etc, rotated the tire to a different position when I remounted it, but the same thing happened when I went to "set the bead".

For now, I gave up mounting the new tire, took it off, put another Tourance on I have (which has another 1000 miles of tread left ) until I figure out the next step. BTW, had NO problem putting the old tire back on and getting
the bead to seat.

At this point, I am thinking defective tire and ready to return it.

Any thoughts / recommendations?
NinjaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #111
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,772
Every Tourance I've mounted needed a ratchet strap around them to bring them into compliance to set the bead. Also, get yourself an inflator that uses a valve so that you can remove the schrader valve to set the bead. So much easier.

Youtube has videos on technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRider View Post
This past week I removed the worn rear Tourance on my 08 GSA and
attempted to mount a new one. This is the 4th rear Tourance I have
changed on this bike and until now, never had a problem.

I got the new tire on the rim without a problem, but couldn't get the bead to
seat. There was one area on the tire ( both sides of the rim ) that would inflate, not "pop", hold pressure and remain almost an inch from the rim.

I am using liberal amounts of Dawn dish washing detergent and water, which again, has worked great on a couple dozen other tires of various types, including Tourance.

I have a compressor with plenty of PSI and volume, but the inflator head will only fill with the valve stem inserted. I used "extra pressure" a couple times, which I know is NOT the thing to do, but it still wouldn't "pop".

I tried totally removing the tire a couple times, made sure there was no
build-up on the rim, etc, rotated the tire to a different position when I remounted it, but the same thing happened when I went to "set the bead".

For now, I gave up mounting the new tire, took it off, put another Tourance on I have (which has another 1000 miles of tread left ) until I figure out the next step. BTW, had NO problem putting the old tire back on and getting
the bead to seat.

At this point, I am thinking defective tire and ready to return it.

Any thoughts / recommendations?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #112
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Actually, I forgot to mention, I did use the ratchet strap method, but it didn't
help this time. I haven't had to use it on all the previous Tourances I put on,
but did need to use it once or twice. It was the first time the strap failed.

I am going to get the inflator which doesn't require the valve stem to be
inserted and give it another try, but this tire has the most stubborn bead I have ever run into. It almost seems like the bead diameter is just slightly too small.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #113
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,534
Just trying to be helpful ...

Quote:

NinjaRider, hi!

Having gone through a similar situation, the one thing that changed it all for me was pulling the valve stem valve out.

My compressor stands six feet high, and holds 160psi. After an hour and a half of trying just about everything, as soon as I pulled the little valve out, and hit it with full air, the tire popped and seated. I was using WD40.

My suggestion is to replace the valve head on the air hose. You should be able to push straight air in, without the valve in the valve stem.

Now, as an aside, an old trucker - who recently watched/helped me change a tire when I was traveling - shared a truckers secret that had been handed down to him.

Grease! When he changed his tires on the road, he would put gobs of heavy grease on the rim and the tire edge. He said the grease would fill cracks for long enough to bead seat the tire. After he would just clean the grease up, and be on his way.

I confess, I haven't used this method ... yet, but there's an old gallon of Crisco in my shed that might just come in handy someday.

You say your compressor has volume and pressure, what size is it, and what's the normal pressure?

Am I making sense with all that?

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #114
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,762
Ever since I learned how to center the tire on the rim, both sides, I never have to use a strap. If you get it centered it will air up in my limited experience, about 300 sets of tires.
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM   #115
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Yes Liz, you are making perfect sense.

I think the valve head change may be the missing link. Not ready to try
grease ( or Crisco ) yet, but will file that one away for now. This tire is
a bit strange in that the entire bead seats on both sides right away, with
the exception of this one small area on both sides of the tire. And in that
area, the bead actually seals, but the tire is not even close to the rim
( would need a lot of grease! :). Tried the ratchet strap, sitting on the tire,
bouncing it, etc. When it "airs up", that spot just gets higher, not wider.

My compressor is 4.5 gal / 150 PSI / 5.1 CFM / 1.6 HP. Not a monster, but
should do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt View Post
NinjaRider, hi!

Having gone through a similar situation, the one thing that changed it all for me was pulling the valve stem valve out.

My compressor stands six feet high, and holds 160psi. After an hour and a half of trying just about everything, as soon as I pulled the little valve out, and hit it with full air, the tire popped and seated. I was using WD40.

My suggestion is to replace the valve head on the air hose. You should be able to push straight air in, without the valve in the valve stem.

Now, as an aside, an old trucker - who recently watched/helped me change a tire when I was traveling - shared a truckers secret that had been handed down to him.

Grease! When he changed his tires on the road, he would put gobs of heavy grease on the rim and the tire edge. He said the grease would fill cracks for long enough to bead seat the tire. After he would just clean the grease up, and be on his way.

I confess, I haven't used this method ... yet, but there's an old gallon of Crisco in my shed that might just come in handy someday.

You say your compressor has volume and pressure, what size is it, and what's the normal pressure?

Am I making sense with all that?

Liz
Old 05-09-2014, 01:34 PM   #116
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Jim,

Excellent tip ( another one I will try to remember ).
I didn't intentionally "center" this tire, but from what I remember, it was pretty well centered each time I went to air it up. I think on the first attempt, it seated the bead all around one side, except for the one spot, but on subsequent attempts, neither side would seat in that one area.

Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Ever since I learned how to center the tire on the rim, both sides, I never have to use a strap. If you get it centered it will air up in my limited experience, about 300 sets of tires.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #117
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,534
Just curious ...

Quote:
Yes Liz, you are making perfect sense.

I think the valve head change may be the missing link. Not ready to try
grease ( or Crisco ) yet, but will file that one away for now. This tire is
a bit strange in that the entire bead seats on both sides right away, with
the exception of this one small area on both sides of the tire. And in that
area, the bead actually seals, but the tire is not even close to the rim
( would need a lot of grease! :). Tried the ratchet strap, sitting on the tire,
bouncing it, etc. When it "airs up", that spot just gets higher, not wider.

My compressor is 4.5 gal / 150 PSI / 5.1 CFM / 1.6 HP. Not a monster, but
should do the job.

Any luck?

MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #118
NinjaRider
Adventurer

Sorry, didn't mean to leave folks hanging......

Haven't got to trying again yet. I figured I had 1000 miles easily left on the "temporary" Tourance I put on, so I am doing my best to use those up. I picked up the connector for the compressor yesterday and plan to give it another try on Sunday.

I will let you know how I make out ( crossing fingers :)
Old 05-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #119
seaswood
seaswood

Oddometer: 165
Ruglyde

RuGlyde works even if you have to buy a gallon.
Very good to refurbish old rubber parts.
Makes getting tyres on & off easier
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #120
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Something to check on- this year the Tourance is coming out of China. I believe this is a new change for this tire, and it may play a role in the difficulty you are having seating this new one? You can check the sidewall for the place of manufacture- and it may help you state your case to the dealer if you decide to take it back. Price has not gone down, from what I have seen. Isn't modern global business grand?.......