User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
c munch OP
Destination unknown

Oddometer: 476
clutch push rod question.

I am leaking oil from the clutch push rod seal.I have removed the slave cylinder and the push rod and i did not really see any wear that might cause a leak.The crank case breather is clear also so no real pressure in the case. Looking in the repair manual it shows only one rod with a flange on the clutch side that would no way be able to be removed from the slave cylinder side.The push rod that I can remove is about 3 inches long with a hole in it that a roll pin fits into.I am aware of the updated push rod.Has anyone had a leak from that seal and should I be able to remove the push rod from the slave cyl side ?or could this rod be broken.

I thought a new that all I needed is the seal until I took a look in the manual.

Thanks
Charlie
c munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 195
From my memory and the picture in the parts manual I would say yes your rod is broken!? You are correct that the rod is removed from the clutch pack side after you remove the roll pin from the slave cylinder side.

at least it's a easy fix...good luck.
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:27 PM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,742
Cracked push rod!!! That's a new one!!

Hi there!! have a look in there!!! You should also have an oring on the push rod, on the clutch slave cylinder side!!! Must be a very rare failure, never heard of it!! and been following the clutch threads religiously!! good luck!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112284
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #4
c munch OP
Destination unknown

i found this also

My clutch works fine and the only reason I discoverd the rod being able to be removed from the slave cylinder side was to investigate the oil leak.I found this in ,what does he mean by a one piece shaft?

The new one piece shafts are 1mm narrower. I know it's not much but it cured mine. The new ones are also solid, whereas the old ones were hollow. If the old ones were solid, it'd just be a matter of turning it down but alas

c munch screwed with this post 06-30-2006 at 03:47 AM Reason: add a quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
You have the alluminum pushrod (pre 2005). The end by the clutch slave cylinder is steel which sits into the alluminum shaft, together these make up the clutch push rod. There are NOT supposed to come apart. You need to replace your pushrod with the 2005 steel rod. Remove your small outer clutch cover, remove the clutch pressure plate (5 or 6 bolts with springs under them) and pull your pushrod from the engine. Install new push rod reassemble the pressure plate of the clutch and torque the bolts/springs and finally reassemble the clutch slave cylinder side. Done

Ride on.....
9nine0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
c munch OP
Destination unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nine0
You have the alluminum pushrod (pre 2005). The end by the clutch slave cylinder is steel which sits into the alluminum shaft, together these make up the clutch push rod. There are NOT supposed to come apart. You need to replace your pushrod with the 2005 steel rod. Remove your small outer clutch cover, remove the clutch pressure plate (5 or 6 bolts with springs under them) and pull your pushrod from the engine. Install new push rod reassemble the pressure plate of the clutch and torque the bolts/springs and finally reassemble the clutch slave cylinder side. Done

Ride on.....
That is what I am going to do,on my way to order parts now.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,664
Just did my install of the pushrod this afternoon, during my oil change. The oil change is a piece of cake if you don't mess with the screen in the oil reservoir...it was clean when I checked it last time around, so why bother 3500 miles later. I figure I'll do it next time.

Anyhow, the pushrod was super-easy to install, although I'm not sure what this "O-ring" is that a few others have talked about...never saw one. The stock pushrod unit looked fine; the only difference I see is that this new one is slightly smaller diameter and is a single piece of cast steel (i.e. it's heavier).

Now I'm trying to remember what problem this was supposed to address....
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
LAPTRAFFIC
RIP, Wes...

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9nine0

Ride on.....
my old style pushrod FAILED in that it "slid into itself", the inner part sliding into the outer half farther than its "sposed" to.
it resulted in complete clutch failure about 90 miles from home pulling out of the gas station heading home through the mountains.
I got 5 blocks from home before approaching a 4 way stop with a cop approaching opposite...damnit!!
LT
LAPTRAFFIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
YOGOI
Prick

Oddometer: 3,450
There is no O-ring.

The Alluminum shaft is a 3 peace unit.
-It will come apart.
-and its ok, that it came apart.

Change to the new shaft if you want, but I'm not sure it is going to fix your leak prob. ...so keep your eyes out for what is really couse'n the leak.

04 950 GO!!!!! 2011 250 XC 89 Transalp 69 350 CL 04 225 XT

08 450 XC-F SOLD to a good home
YOGOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,742
No O-ring???

Try ooking at the seal ring No 32!!! You should have that! Not sure if it is your solution but should definitely be there, the slave cylinder side, just before the pin and I guess it should have a good reason as well!!

http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/cat...t=CLUTCH%20LC8
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
TipOver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Not and O-ring seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
Try ooking at the seal ring No 32!!! You should have that! Not sure if it is your solution but should definitely be there, the slave cylinder side, just before the pin and I guess it should have a good reason as well!!

http://216.165.194.66/munnracing/cat...t=CLUTCH%20LC8
Watched the local tech replace my seal & pushrod. It is not an o-ring but a standard seal (metal perimeter with inner single-lip seal, small version of the crank seals). Runs on a narrow smooth spot on the shaft. If no seal then the contents of the tranny winds up on the ground.
TipOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:13 PM   #12
c munch OP
Destination unknown

I have the seal,pushrod and misc gaskets coming.but in the mean time I am headed on a 1k mile trip friday.The clutch seems to work ok at this point.Once I get the parts I will take it apart and also check the water pump impeller,would hate to have a problem with that.I am going to nova scotia in aug and would feel better knowing that the pump is in good shape.
Thanks for the help guys.
Charlie
Old 07-06-2006, 08:53 AM   #13
Shuffler
Getting a grip...

Oddometer: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by TipOver
Watched the local tech replace my seal & pushrod. It is not an o-ring but a standard seal (metal perimeter with inner single-lip seal, small version of the crank seals). Runs on a narrow smooth spot on the shaft. If no seal then the contents of the tranny winds up on the ground.
Never saw any such part when I replaced mine this wknd. Everything's working fine, no seepage.
KTM 950A | KTM 300XCW | BMW R1100RT
Shuffler is offline   Reply With Quote