ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
buffallodan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,707
Carb Vent lines???

Need help figuring out how to vent FCR carb lines, dealer removed smog and routed all lines behind swingarm. So other than the drain bowl line (noob- obvious) I am at a loss as to which lines need to be raised and filtered. Please help cause every darn time I go creek running I get bogged down ...thanks,

Dan
TE-610 FCR MX
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Talking

You should run all vent lines to a "T" and run one side up under the tank and the other down behind the swing-arm. So if you have 2 vent lines you will have two "T's" and two sets of vents up high and two down low.

This will stop the vent lock when crossing creeks as the vents up high can still draw air while the lower vents are in the water. I found some hose the right size at my Walmart and "T's" at my auto parts store.

This setup will work wonders and is very cheap as well!
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
twotyred
Practising Recedivist
 
twotyred's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bruthen Victoria
Oddometer: 1,850
Thanks for the info. This was something that I've been searching for as well.

I've had a couple of problems myself crossing some creeks. I hate it when you bike stalls just one metre short of the other bank. Didn't drop it - just wet feet!!
__________________
If you succeed at first...don't look surprised!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
desmo900
Adventurer
 
desmo900's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of California
Oddometer: 63
Could all of the carb. vent hoses be sent to a manifold. and then one hose to the swing arm and one hose up under the tank ??
desmo900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #5
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmo900
Could all of the carb. vent hoses be sent to a manifold. and then one hose to the swing arm and one hose up under the tank ??
I don't see why not as long as you have good airflow through the lines which is what you need for proper venting.
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 AM   #6
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,712
I just "t-vented" my RXC last week but did not put one on the line that comes out of the bottom of the bowl. Does this one need a t-vent too?
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:55 PM   #7
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
I just "t-vented" my RXC last week but did not put one on the line that comes out of the bottom of the bowl. Does this one need a t-vent too?
No, as this is a drain only and not a true vent.
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:12 PM   #8
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,712
Thanks Jeff! That's what I thought but it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.

I'm a California native, used to ride in your neck if the woods a lot, and you know what? There's a shitload of water to deal with in New England! Kinda freaky for a SoCal boy dealing with water, but the more I deal with it the more confidance I gain. But the sputtering engine sucks.





Fun stuff
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #9
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
Thanks Jeff! That's what I thought but it wouldn't be the 1st time I was wrong.

I'm a California native, used to ride in your neck if the woods a lot, and you know what? There's a shitload of water to deal with in New England! Kinda freaky for a SoCal boy dealing with water, but the more I deal with it the more confidance I gain. But the sputtering engine sucks.





Fun stuff
Damn Beez, that looks like fun! I do get to ride in some water about once a year up in Kennedy Meadows and last year doing the Bass Lake DS. I would welcome the change for sure!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW did your sputtering go away after doing this mod?
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #10
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_in_rc
Damn Beez, that looks like fun! I do get to ride in some water about once a year up in Kennedy Meadows and last year doing the Bass Lake DS. I would welcome the change for sure!

Thanks for sharing.

BTW did your sputtering go away after doing this mod?
I'll see this weekend.

Do they still call it the Last Bass Lake DS Ride? I did the 1st Last Bass Lake ride in the late '90s. Took a wrong turn and ended up in Yosemite Park proper, Rangers were none too pleased when came through the gate looking quite dirty and having not paid the entry fee. My parents still live in that area.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #11
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez
I'll see this weekend.

Do they still call it the Last Bass Lake DS Ride? I did the 1st Last Bass Lake ride in the late '90s. Took a wrong turn and ended up in Yosemite Park proper, Rangers were none too pleased when came through the gate looking quite dirty and having not paid the entry fee. My parents still live in that area.
Yes, last year's ride was the last, for now anyway. Larry Langley is still working with the USFS to try to get them to understand the rules are for everyone, not a select few. I really liked the area and a few of my riding buddies are going up there next weekend but I can't make it this time. Oh well, there will be another trip soon.

Have a good one and let us know if the fix cures the problem.
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #12
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy
 
jeff_in_rc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Oddometer: 616
Question

Yo Beez, did that work for ya!!
__________________
Go forth and modify my friend.
jeff_in_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,712
It's been a lot drier here in New England in July so there haven't been the epic water crossings like before. I did some riding on the RXC 2 weekas ago and it worked great but no real test of the T-vents. I'll try again this weekend, Sat & Sun Neduro's Riding clinic.
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:10 PM   #14
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I
 
katbeanz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 7,288
I t-vented my carb a while back, but I couldn't find this thread when I was searching...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98167

It's got some excellent info.
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
buffallodan's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Frankfort Kentucky
Oddometer: 1,707
Bump for index and future upload of pics...
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014