User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
sheppie62 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
What is an ATK605 like to ride?

I'm thinking of buying one sight unseen. I've had (2) xl 600's an xr600 (97) currently a 1100gs. How similar to an xr is a 605, I don't want a big fat heavy bike, I was looking at ktm 525/ 450's but price is to high for a street legal one here in California. The drz 400 seem heavy to me, I've considered this bike, but heard it's kinda slow. A little heavy is OK as long as it's fast.
sheppie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
dirty dave
Banned

Oddometer: 1,086
slow they are not. they are a bit porky, but can be quite nimble if need be. the motors with a little work are capable of 70 hp. that fast enough for you? they also have top notch components as well. i would say they are on par performance wise with a xrl but not the 650r
dirty dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty dave
i would say they are on par performance wise with a xrl but not the 650r
I disagree, unless you mean an XR-L with an aftermarket pipe, carb and maybe a cam--and then you're only talking engine performance. As you pointed out, the ATK has significantly better components than either XR or XR-L.

Weight-wise, it's no 525. I've ridden my friend's 525 and it's purely magical compared to the ATK. In fact, he sold his ATK (to me--I have two now) so he could buy the 525.

You need to read this thread. We've covered this all (including some of the bikes you're probably calling on):
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142228
Old 07-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
PANTERA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Thumb

I used to have Johnny Campbells old XR628. It still had all the goodies on it (ported head, HRC Cam, supertrapp exhaust, etc) and it was a beast! It was also a beast to start when it was hot!!! That's why I eventually sold it. The suspension had been set up by the pros at Precision Concepts and it did an amazing job even in the single track we have here in East Tennessee.

I now have among other things an ATK 605 and it feels very much like the the trick 628 did except thank heavens it has the magic button. I can assure you it is MUCH stronger than a Honda XR650L. The ATK 605 weighs about 35 pounds less than the XR650L too. Last night I was tooling around on the ATK & I decided to blow the cobwebs out a bit. It was amazing how fast I got to 90mph and I let off just as it touched 100! That's way to fast for me on dualsport type tires. Get the ATK, you'll love it and you'll love not seeing a bike like yours every time you turn around. Plus the Rotax engines they have are just about bullet proof.
PANTERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
Donkey Hotey
De Jo Momma

Oddometer: 10,296
Hey Sheppie, which bike are you looking at and how far away? I would be hesitant about buying ANY bike without seeing it but I'll do my best at telling you what I see if you have links to pictures or whatever.

Also: you're only in Temecula. Have patience. ATK's turn up constantly in So Cal. I know that's easy to say when you're eager but it's true. I'd bet you won't have to wait more than a month or two before something local turns up.

I don't know what the legality of bringing one from out of state is. While at least half of them ended up getting licensed, ATK never sold a 'street legal' bike. Depending on your DMV, they may or may not give you a plate when you get it here (in case you're looking at the one in Tucson).