User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 09:41 AM   #1
mwlehman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I have a Trip Planning money question

I looked briefly and did not see much in the way of info. I was wondering what you guys figure as a daily dollar figure out on the road, two people, my wife and I each on our own bike, we both have a small Honda CBR250r .

I am not sure what to figure, not sure if I have funds to cover...so I will lay my finances out and let you guys critic it

My wife and I are both hovering around 50yo..we both grew up in SE Pa, I never did much partying, drinking or running around , I raced since I was about 15 until I quit at 43, raced sprintcars for over 20yrs, sold family business in 2010 moved to Cape coral Fl and took up riding, my wife loves it and so do I. I read all the great stories about trips people take and would like to try it

We have no car loans, no credit cards, 5 homes, 3 we paid cash. We rent 4 out, 2 cover their mortgage, 2 provide $1600 month income, we have a small business selling watches at a store that brings in another $1200 month, we just stock watches and store takes care of the rest. I work full time auto painter at great mom and pop shop, high quality joint ! Owners are great, we go riding together, more like friends than bosses. My wife works full time for another friend. Taking time off is not an issue, during summer months here everything slows down as snowbirds go home

Sooo..that being said in a rambling sort of way...I would like to go on a trip for about a month or so with my wife..but I get nervous thinking about money side of it, not sure what to expect to spend

I value and respect the info posted on here ...and sorry for the ramble
thanks
Mike

mwlehman screwed with this post 05-03-2015 at 02:59 PM
mwlehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
Dan Diego
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
So many variables. Camping, couch surfing, cheap/moderately-priced hotels?

Same with chow.

Really, the fuel and food are the only two main costs. Extra goodies in the way of souvenirs, lodging, tolls, etc. are the other considerations.

There are so many things to consider...
Old 05-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 6,072
Didn't need your financial history and I wouldn't share that much detail....

Having said, lots of variables but many threads here about it and riders on 15 bucks a day and up....

Figure how much you plan to travel, distance x2 bikes and you can figure how much gas you need.
how to you intend to eat will have a huge scale on cost. Only you and your wife can figure this out. Cans of tuna and water or steak and lobster and wine.

Sleeping is another thing to consider, are you planning to tent in a ditch of church parking lot, parks, cheap motels, or hotels.

Any extra stuff you plan to do or see on route, entrance fees to parks, museums, shows, clothing, gifts, etc. And maybe some tires and chains...

Good luck.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
XXMe
Geezer on the road

Oddometer: 1,200
Also where do you plan to go? Prices vary with destination. Food shouldn't be much of a consideration because you have to eat even if you stay at home.

PM me, I'm right up in Venice, might even be able to do a face to face if you're interested. I'd did a bit of a ride last year, see my sig.
XXMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 8,348
So much depends on your definition of travel. Are you eating in nice restaurants, fast food or hitting the grocery store? Same for places to sleep. 5 star hotel, highway motel, camping, primitive camping?

Personally I like to grab food from the grocery and just make sandwiches, nuts, fruit etc. when I have a rest stop. That way the food cost is really no higher than at home, it is also more healthy than eating every meal out.

Usually I will just camp if I can find forest areas. This is easier out west or in the Appalachians than it is in the middle of the country. You can plan to stay in a developed camp or a motel every few days to get a shower, bed and laundry.

With small bikes invest in backpacking gear, it is much lighter and less bulky to deal with. Same for clothes, there are travel clothes that can be easily washed in a motel room in just a few minutes and dry quickly. You can get by with just a couple changes of clothes.

With route planning you can base camp in an area like Two Wheels of Suches or Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground set up camp and explore for a few days then move along. It frees you up to see a lot of an area and don't have to break camp every day. It also allows you to plan in a down day where you just chill out. I know some of the ADV rallies I have been to sometimes I just want to hang out and talk to people I haven't seen in a while rather than ride.

So, that really doesn't answer your question but it should give you a way to budget for the type of trip you want to take. Then add 20-25% cause you will spend more than you thought.

Another option is to ride till half your money runs out then turn around.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:38 AM   #6
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,539
HERE you go, THIS might help you.

Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 9,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
We have no car loans, no credit cards, 5 homes, 3 we paid cash. We rent 4 out, 2 cover their mortgage, 2 provide $1600 month income, we have a small business selling watches at a store that brings in another $1200 month, we just stock watches and store takes care of the rest. I work full time @ $20hr auto painter at great mom and pop shop, high quality joint ! Owners are great, we go riding together, more like friends than bosses. My wife works full time at $10hr for another friend. Taking time off is not an issue, during summer months here everything slows down as snowbirds go home

Sooo..that being said in a rambling sort of way...I would like to go on a trip for about a month or so with my wife..but I get nervous thinking about money side of it, not sure what to expect to spend
I think you're the type of guy who when the check comes to the dinner table you point out who had the croutons added to their salad
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,308
I figure out where I want to go. I put that into google maps and get a rough idea of what the mileage will be. From that I can figure my fuel costs. I sometimes stealth camp, free, Sometimes stay in campgrounds, $10 to $30 a night. Every few nights I will hit a motel, $60 to $100 a night. On average I probably do all three on a close to equal basis For food I rarely cook at camp, although I do carry a stove and pot just in case. So I usually stop at a Cafe, once or twice a day, $10 to $12 a meal.

You need to figure out an estimate of what those numbers will be for you. Pad that a little bit and you will have your traveling budget. Also since you are not running on a credit cards. It would be a good idea to have an emergency fund in the bank, in case things go wrong. For me I would want $1,000 to $5,000 depending on how far from home I was going. Your comfort level may be different

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #9
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 8,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post

What a great resource.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
mwlehman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
I think you're the type of guy who when the check comes to the dinner table you point out who had the croutons added to their salad
lol...not even close ....I love croutons, steal my wife`s when she isn`t looking

I just did not know whether to figure $50 a day or $500..just never did anything like that nor did I know where to start.

mwlehman screwed with this post 05-03-2015 at 03:07 PM
Old 05-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
mwlehman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post

thank you..I will use that.

We are planning to ride to key west from here..about a 6hr ride take a couple days to do it..but it will be a start for my wife and I
Old 05-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #12
mwlehman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
I figure out where I want to go. I put that into google maps and get a rough idea of what the mileage will be. From that I can figure my fuel costs. I sometimes stealth camp, free, Sometimes stay in campgrounds, $10 to $30 a night. Every few nights I will hit a motel, $60 to $100 a night. On average I probably do all three on a close to equal basis For food I rarely cook at camp, although I do carry a stove and pot just in case. So I usually stop at a Cafe, once or twice a day, $10 to $12 a meal.

You need to figure out an estimate of what those numbers will be for you. Pad that a little bit and you will have your traveling budget. Also since you are not running on a credit cards. It would be a good idea to have an emergency fund in the bank, in case things go wrong. For me I would want $1,000 to $5,000 depending on how far from home I was going. Your comfort level may be different

Walter
Thank you...I will take every bit of advice I can
Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #13
mwlehman OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Didn't need your financial history and I wouldn't share that much detail....
sorry...just thought someone might see numbers and say there is enough floating around to cover a couple weeks worth of travel... I did not get out much,
Old 05-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #14
sasho
Dual Personality

Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlehman View Post
...not sure what to expect to spend...
You will spend whatever you feel comfortable with, unless there are unforseen breakdowns or medical bills.
sasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 03:54 PM   #15
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,942
A test trip of 4 or so days might help you find out about your expenses.

You didn't mention if you prefer to camp and cook or stay in motels and eat pizza or prefer B&Bs and small inns and want a good vintage in the evening.

Only you can set a budget that you can live with. There are plenty of posts on this site about people camping with a big jar of peanut butter. Wouldn't work for me by about day 2. Some people ride 200 mile days and some people over 500.. What works for one may not work at all for another.

If you already know your style, then you've already gotten pointers to figuring your mileage costs and daily costs. If you don't know, then you can try to find out on a weekend, but just an extra day or two will let you know if you can stick with your decisions or if you start looking for more comfort or more rest or more food or . . .

I do know that you can go if you simply decide to go.