ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 254
3.5 years till my around the world ride, advice anyone?

Ok, I'm stuck just riding on vacation for another 3.5 years. Then, I'm going to have some freedom and finances. I have always wanted to ride around the world on a motorcycle. I'm not new at this, as you can see by my posts here. I am new at world travel though.

So, from all you world travelers out there who have experience with shipping bikes, visas, border crossings, etc, I'd love to get advice on planning and prep.

I'll be fine with most of the gear, I've been doing this long enough that I know what I like and don't like, but specialized items that really came in handy or made life easier on your trips would be great to hear about. Or, if you used something originally and then found the absolute best replacement ever for that item, I'd love to hear about those items.

Food stuff: Well, I guess knowing what you packed and why would be great info too.

Routes: Advice on routes and places that just can't be missed in different countries would be greatly appreciated, feel free to include pictures of things, people groups, towns, terrain, etc that you've found to be highlights or "You Can't Miss This" kind of trip makers, so to speak.

Navigation: I'm well versed in GPS, so tracks that I can save are great. Map programs that you used, actual maps of foreign countries in detail, Sattelite communications, and stuff like would be great.

Communications: How did you stay in touch? How do you pay for services? Which services or companies provide the best hassle free services and most affordable? I'd love to hear about these too.

Electronics: Which devices are a must have? What held up the best? How did you store them, charge them, protect them, and how did they interface; specifically, light weight items like and IPad to store photos and digital media on and to also connect with to the home base.

Bike Gear: I'm pretty savy here, but I by no means know it all, so if something is extraordinary and will go the distance, please let me know about that product.

Obviously, I have 3.5 years, so I'm not really in a hurry, but I want to prepare well. I believe in the old adage that "Failing to plan is planning to fail." I'd rather not have a gigantic failure.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #2
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian011952 View Post
Ok, I'm stuck just riding on vacation for another 3.5 years.
-----

Routes: Advice on routes and places that just can't be missed in different countries would be greatly appreciated, feel free to include pictures of things, people groups, towns, terrain, etc that you've found to be highlights or "You Can't Miss This" kind of trip makers, so to speak.
Sorry, but that question about routes is probably just way too broad to really get any good answers. Every region of the world is most definitely worth a visit, if you do not have the faintest idea about where you´ll want to be heading to (or do you?), then it is kinda hard. Some sort of “main” overland routes do exist, such as “the Hippie Trail” from Europe to India, or across Russia, or Africa Western or Eastern route, or between Alaska and Ushuaia. Most of them do have some security concerns, for example, and there´s also the seasons to think about, when is the best time to go, and when your gonna be where, how the climate should be at that time, etc...

And, if you still have over 3 years, before you set off, many many things can, and WILL change. Just check out, how quickly the crisis in Ukraine started, basically out of the blue. Even 1 year can change a lot in the world.

But here´s a tip, that won´t cost you much: Get the newest edition of Chris Scott´s Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, there are at least some guidelines for RTW route planning. Plus lots of other great info, that guy seriously knows what he´s talking about.

And another one: lots of info & probably the best forums for RTW type of travel can be found at horizonsunlimited.com. They arrange HU meetings all around the world (the site will have info, when & where), I´d also advice to go to such meeting, there you can get face to face with people who have done big trips, andhave a great chance to learn from them.

It is of course good to plan things, but do avoid overplanning, expect things to change, and be flexible. That trip will give you something, that a thief cannot steal, and fire won´t burn, and you´ll remember it for the rest of your days. Good luck!
__________________
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Sorry, but that question about routes is probably just way too broad to really get any good answers. Every region of the world is most definitely worth a visit, if you do not have the faintest idea about where you´ll want to be heading to (or do you?), then it is kinda hard. Some sort of “main” overland routes do exist, such as “the Hippie Trail” from Europe to India, or across Russia, or Africa Western or Eastern route, or between Alaska and Ushuaia. Most of them do have some security concerns, for example, and there´s also the seasons to think about, when is the best time to go, and when your gonna be where, how the climate should be at that time, etc...

And, if you still have over 3 years, before you set off, many many things can, and WILL change. Just check out, how quickly the crisis in Ukraine started, basically out of the blue. Even 1 year can change a lot in the world.

But here´s a tip, that won´t cost you much: Get the newest edition of Chris Scott´s Adventure Motorcycling Handbook, there are at least some guidelines for RTW route planning. Plus lots of other great info, that guy seriously knows what he´s talking about.

And another one: lots of info & probably the best forums for RTW type of travel can be found at horizonsunlimited.com. They arrange HU meetings all around the world (the site will have info, when & where), I´d also advice to go to such meeting, there you can get face to face with people who have done big trips, andhave a great chance to learn from them.

It is of course good to plan things, but do avoid overplanning, expect things to change, and be flexible. That trip will give you something, that a thief cannot steal, and fire won´t burn, and you´ll remember it for the rest of your days. Good luck!
Thank you for the comment. I agree my routes question is broad and open ended. I should tighten that up a bit, but it's hard to do. My style of riding would lean towards the more remote areas. That said, I'd like very much to travel South from America as far as possible. Many places south look absolutely stunning and gorgeous. I see many routes and places, but the unbelievable routes,the high passes, the lakes, and the villages that are less touched by the modern world, these are what interest me.

Asia, where to start? Thailand, Mongolia into Russia, India, I must confess, so much fascinates me. South Korea, Japan, etc, it is a big world. I've never been a city person, but, I like visiting them. I like food. I like history. I am curious, I think that's part of my fascination with motorcycles. Everything looks new and different from one. I discovered this at five, and I've never lost this.

Yes, Europe is interesting, but you are quite correct that things change. The Middle East is obviously mostly off limits, and so, Africa? Yes, Africa seems interesting, and mysterious. It has animals, animals, and animals! You see I just don't know where? I just know I need where, but where is where? I get started on what I want to see, and then I don't know if I'll find what I want to see. The Great Pyramids? Yes, but sadly, not possible now. So advice from experienced travelers. It doesn't have to be volumes, but opinions, snippets of experience, etc.

I will get Chris Scott's book, and I'll look into HU. Thanks again for the advice.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
thetourist
Just passing thru
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,769
Get thee to an Horizons Unlimited gathering. You'll meet some long riders.

Route advice is too broad. What are you interested in? Me, I like history, the big empty, off the track stuff. Not interested in most man made structures, Europe, or testing my riding abilities.

Mongolia, the Stans, Iran, Turkey, Uraguay, Chile, Petra, Atacama, Gobi, Sahara, Cuba, so many places to visit.
__________________
thetourist
The gate guard glares at me. "It's after curfew." He looks me up and down, "What do you think you are, some kind of ****** tourist?" ..Phu Loi 1969
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667893 My Idaho
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetourist View Post
Get thee to an Horizons Unlimited gathering. You'll meet some long riders.

Route advice is too broad. What are you interested in? Me, I like history, the big empty, off the track stuff. Not interested in most man made structures, Europe, or testing my riding abilities.

Mongolia, the Stans, Iran, Turkey, Uraguay, Chile, Petra, Atacama, Gobi, Sahara, Cuba, so many places to visit.
Horizons Unlimited, got it. I live in a pretty remote area, I'll have to figure this going to a meeting out. It's definatly going to be easier said than done. It'll probably be a good excuse to ride somewhere though.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
thetourist
Just passing thru
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Moscow, Idaho
Oddometer: 3,769
Where you based?
You need to practice and perfect your packing. A good excuse to ride.
I've been to three HU meetings. Petrolia, CA. USA...Nelson, BC, Canada...Creel, Chih. Mexico.
All were worth the trip, just to talk to the long riders.
__________________
thetourist
The gate guard glares at me. "It's after curfew." He looks me up and down, "What do you think you are, some kind of ****** tourist?" ..Phu Loi 1969
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667893 My Idaho
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Left Coast
Oddometer: 280
you need to take a couple of trips .... one into Canada (easy) .... and another one into Mexico (a bit more complex) .... you will learn about passports, border crossings, insurance, language, customs, etc .... nothing like a little experiece under your belt ....
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Brian011952 OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: USA, until eternity, than on to Heaven!
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
you need to take a couple of trips .... one into Canada (easy) .... and another one into Mexico (a bit more complex) .... you will learn about passports, border crossings, insurance, language, customs, etc .... nothing like a little experiece under your belt ....
I have. Last summer's vacation covered 3300 miles in 12 days with the vast majority of those miles off the pavement.

I've toured Baja, I'm pushing 70,000 off road miles on dual sport bikes. I pack my camp and navigate fairly well. I restorebikes as a hobby, and I've toured the Escalante, Northern Nevada, Death Valley, Northern California, Central and Eastern Oregon, some Utah, some Idaho, and some Washington, and some Arizona. I have my passport, and I'm going to probably plan a ride to Inivuk (sp?) with a side trip over the Canol Trail in 2015. Still, these rides take only weeks and do not cross multiple borders.

I'm not really a newbie at the bike travel, but I'm pretty new at foreign travel and such. I am looking at HU's meeting in September, but getting that time off is going to be tough. Maybe next year.

Thanks for the good thought, I figured maybe I should have given out a bit of my experience. It's hard to know what to say if you have no idea of the riders experience level. I figure I needed to add a little to my riding resume.
Brian011952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014