User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #1
Tubby27 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
over excited, under prepared

Firstly not sure if this is in the right spot, please move if not.

First I'll introduce myself.

My names Daniel, I live in Melbourne Australia and am 31 years old.
I've been riding trail and road since i was 14 years old and an infatuated with anything motorbike related, I'm an engine builder by trade (although haven't done that in years).

I've have a dream for a very long time now!!!!

I want to ride a motorbike around the world..

and it seems now that the time is right.

I've only just started to get serious about this dream and am starting to put the wheels in motion to be able to head off on a trip in early 2016.

I've been reading a lot through this and other forums as I've no idea of whats actually need to accomplish this epic (albeit possibly crazy idea)..

So first thing I need to decide on is motorbike choice.
I've thought along the lines of a dual sport bmw (or similar) although I think the weight is what scares me off from these.
I've also read that a dr650 would be an ideal bike as its a tough reliable proven option.

But im a dirt bike rider at heart and would love to do it and a ktm690-990
from the small amounts I have read this would be possible but i'm always open to others opinions..

then there is all the insurances, passports and carnet (or whatever its called for the motorbike passport thingy)
really need to do more investigation on that side of things..

then I need to look at the route to take. this would need to be planned out pretty carefully to cut down on shipping costs.
My very rough idea would be to ride to Darwin, ship the bike to ether Bali or Singapore. (I'm not sure if there is a easy way to get from Bali to Singapore so may need to skip bali.
then ride through SE Asia.
then somehow (not sure on the safest route to Europe.
from the most likely the African country's then ill re asses. then probably to the Americas from the bottom up.

obviously its really early stages, just want to plan as much as possible to avoid any unnecessary hiccups.

So for now I guess I'll be scouring internet forums, tiring to piece together a spread sheet of things that need to be done.

Any input, tips, trick, help from you guys would be much appreciated..

Forgot to add, I've got as budget at the moment of around 60k, not sure ATM if this will suffice but I'm also not scared of roughing it ie camping cooking, even working a few days hear and there if needed.

Cheers guys
Tubby27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Hi

I ride a KTM 530EXC dual sport all over colorado and utah...love the bike......BUT....for an around the world no way would I take a KTM......I would go as low tech and high reliable bike....I would take either a dr 650 or klr 650....simple and easy to work on bikes will be best...,high performace bikes are just to hard to work on and parts in many places will be an issue....the new KTM and BMW have to many electrical parts that are not field repairable and their failures will leave you stranded till replacement parts can be found and installed ...... Fuel injection is nice till it fails...a carb can be field rebuilt

go luck on your trip....keeping things as simple possible will pay dividends on a rtw trip

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Tubby27 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for your input Scott. I appreciate it.

your spot on about keeping it simple and I do agree about carb over injection.

I just worry about the fun factor with the 650's.

I also worry about jetting with a cabie bike especially with all the changes in altitude.

I'd really love to do this trip on a ktm but i really should take the tried and tested route..
Tubby27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #4
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 697
Hi Daniel and welcome,
I agree with Scott that simple is best, I think the DR650 is popular down under and would be a good choice with a proven reliability record and useful extras such as a big petrol tank available, a friend of mine in Perth who is an experienced traveller has just bought one. Another thing to avoid is taking too much with you, opinion might vary as to what to take but most travellers agree less is best.

Another good place for information about all things motorcycle travel including insurance, carnet and other travellers tales here.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,204
This guy (Noah) has taken a KTM freaking everywhere:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893

I don't agree at all about the perils of modern bikes and fuel injection. The fact is that usually it just works. I've ridden more than a few kilometers to Yakutsk, Magadan, Mongolia, Nordkapp, Morocco, all over Europe and the US with modern bikes and had ZERO problems, ever, with the electronics or fuel injection. In fact if you look on the various ride reports about riders stranded with breakdowns they will as often as not be on one of the older bikes people rave about.

That's not to say you need a big BMW to do this--you certainly don't--but personally I would pick the smallest, lightest, modern bike that you feel comfortable on and that fits your budget. A 650 should be enough, after all you hopefully won't be spending much of your time cruising down the highway at 120 kmph.

If you want some laughs, go to horizons unlimited and search for "which bike" or similar, and behold the flame wars...
Old 01-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter View Post
This guy (Noah) has taken a KTM freaking everywhere:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781893

I don't agree at all about the perils of modern bikes and fuel injection. The fact is that usually it just works. I've ridden more than a few kilometers to Yakutsk, Magadan, Mongolia, Nordkapp, Morocco, all over Europe and the US with modern bikes and had ZERO problems, ever, with the electronics or fuel injection. In fact if you look on the various ride reports about riders stranded with breakdowns they will as often as not be on one of the older bikes people rave about.

That's not to say you need a big BMW to do this--you certainly don't--but personally I would pick the smallest, lightest, modern bike that you feel comfortable on and that fits your budget. A 650 should be enough, after all you hopefully won't be spending much of your time cruising down the highway at 120 kmph.

If you want some laughs, go to horizons unlimited and search for "which bike" or similar, and behold the flame wars...
Hi

Let's be clear I own ride and love modern KTMs for my use in Colorado.

But to me on a rtw ride .....reliability and ease of repair would be the MOST IMPORTANT attributes of a rtw bike.....It is not just electric fuel injection, it's anything electric. ...broken electronic parts often can not be field repaired....it is all great if you have no failures but on a rtw trip only the foolish or very wealthy will not be concerned about field repairs in remote locations....the KLR and DR bikes are significantly eaiser to field repair than a modern KTM, BMW is. And that is why I personally would not take a KTM, BMW on a rtw trip.

good luck with your ride

scott

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #7
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
.....reliability and ease of repair would be the MOST IMPORTANT attributes of a rtw bike.....It is not just electric fuel injection, it's anything electric. ...broken electronic parts often can not be field repaired....it is all great if you have no failures but on a rtw trip only the foolish or very wealthy will not be concerned about field repairs in remote locations....
There are plenty of parts on any bike that cannot be field-repaired, and I've seen plenty of reports of "non-electronic" bikes broken down all over the world, waiting for parts to arrive... The belief that any problem with any "non-electronic" bike can be fixed under a tree in Africa is a myth.

The point is that a properly-prepped modern bike is just not likely to break down, and if you want to be on the safe side, many electronic parts are small and relatively cheap if you want to bring them along as spares.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 258
Doing a lap

Daniel,

As far as your lap of the world try this.

Toll Perkins in Darwin will take bike up to Dilli in East Timor (I used them a year) for about A$400. They also go Direct to Singapore as does at least one other company.

You can then ride into Indonesia and then by road and ferry work your way north.

To get out of Indonesia into Malaysia you need to go from Belawan/Medan to Penang

Agent in Belawan:
+62 82166209122, his name was Anarek or similar
PT MELDA JAYA
JL. BANGKA TIMUR NO. 49
BELAWAN
Tel No: 77671410 (didnt work for me)

You can then airfrieght from Bangkok to Nepal and the overland through India, Parkistan, Iran, Turkey into Europe.

RoRo ferry Europe to Canada or the USA if you prefer and then head south.

Not sure on getting out of South America as my plan is to ride back to the USA and ship from LA.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #9
peter4d
Life is adventure

Oddometer: 258
Update

Looks like Toll Perkins have drop the Dilli sailings so try

Swire Shipping is very pleased to announce the commencement of a new liner multi-purpose service connecting East Timor (Dili), Darwin, Asia and our global network including Europe and Indian Sub Continent.

Service Frequency

Frequency every 22 days
Quick transit times from Singapore to Darwin (7 days)
Direct connections through our global network to East Timor and Darwin via Singapore

Calling
Singapore, Benete Bay, Darwin, Dili
Click here to download Service Framework

Contact Us

To find out more about East Timor (Dili) and Darwin Service please contact our trade desks at;

Singapore: dili@swirecnco.com

Dili: dil@sdv.com
Darwin: ssadrw@swireshipping.com
Old 01-23-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Vegas Mike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
My vote is for the KTM 690.. I believe it's plenty fun off road. And still big enough to be doing slab. I have hopes a making a RTW trip on my 690 in a few years. Noah is proof this is a good bike to do this on. Always having a spare pump and injector should solve your fuel worries.

My only advise is to buy the bike you intend on using as soon as possible. And learn as much as possible about it before you leave. That way nothing surprises you when it breaks in action.

Here's to the beginning stages of making a dream a reality... Get after it!!!
Vegas Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Mike View Post
My only advise is to buy the bike you intend on using as soon as possible. And learn as much as possible about it before you leave. That way nothing surprises you when it breaks in action.
Totally agree with this, and be sure to look at the threads about whatever bike you get on this site, they identify weakpoints, necessary/desirable upgrades, etc.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:25 AM   #12
WheelsOnFeet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Across AUS and beyond on 250cc....beating all the odds!

Daniel,
these are basic questions you would be asking before choosing the bike you like. just don't go by what people's choice.
DR650, great bike. if you like me, skinny 5'7 and traveling alone..mate, you can't lift that bike, when it decides to fall. With all the technique, its hard to lift with your luggage. For me, that was the prime question.
Can i manage the weight? if you planning to ride outback alone, then go for lighter bike. I'm planning to climb 3-4000 Mt. So, choice is Fuel injected.
They are fuel efficient and reliable.

So far, i have done 12,000km on South, Central and Northern Australian Desert on a Honda CRF250L. another 30,000km to go!
Choice was based on my requirement. so, my advise is, make a list of things you wanna do..based on that, you will land at few bikes!

not always bigger is better mate :)
good luck ey!
WheelsOnFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:48 PM   #13
BvilleBud
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I hardly ride my other bike now that I have a DR. TONS of fun! Have a great trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby27 View Post
I just worry about the fun factor with the 650's.
tested route..
BvilleBud is offline   Reply With Quote