User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Freshage OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Wicked I might have discovered an iceberg

But only the tip... I want to go around the world!

A little background real quick, I'm 26 (still young I hope), have been into motorcycles since I could walk. I currently own a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, previous to that a long list of Ducati's... I'm a bit of a Ducati fanboi... My last being a 1098S.

I'm also a bit of a backpacker, certainly a yes man. Always up for a new adventure. In fact, I just signed up to a 1.5km swim along the Thames in Henley (UK) for a free beer...

I was planning on selling both my beloved BMW M sport and my Multi 1200S after my trip to Europe in 20 days. Which is a 15 day long trip around France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium... 5 days of which are spent in the Alps. So when I get back I'd have some cash, not much as the bike is in Finance (1 out of 2 years left). The car isn't.

I have no idea what amount of cash I would need to be honest, so I don't know if 20,000 ($34,000) would be enough... Would it be best to leave over winter? Or in Spring? I honestly don't know.

But anyway, the research from the Europe trip has truly sparked this HUGE adventure in my mind that I feel is just right. As it so happens I was planning on going backpacking for a year at the end of this year. So I would just do it on a bike instead!

I'm reading through this site at the moment (clicky), which is dead helpful. But does anyone else have any advice on research I should do in order to get the ball rolling?

Thanks, Chris.
Freshage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:52 AM   #2
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Keep reading here and in the ride reports for some great advice.

Budget wise is entirely down to you though. Obviously there are some fixed cost items that are the same for everyone - petrol, maintenance & bike consumables, insurance, visas etc that are reasonably predictable. But after that...FWIW I typically look to do between 300 to 500 miles a day when on my own at roughly 40mpg - call that 40 to 55 a day on petrol alone.

Accommodation - wild camping is the cheapest but it's not always possible. I suspect you can rule it out in most of Europe and the US - which leaves campsites, couch-surfing or hotels. You're gonna have to do some research on accommodation options for the rest of your trip but it shouldn't be that hard. Once you know your options you can start to work on cost but for Europe I'd budget, if camping about 20 a night and triple that if using hotels.

Food - cooking for yourself is, in Europe at least, gonna be about 1/3rd the price of eating out (and potentially healthier) but if you're like me and no great shakes at cooking then I'd look to budget about 10 to 15 a day for food. That'll give you a balance of self-cooked nosh + a meal or two out a week.

Booze - this is, for me at least, a significant cost - whether I'm sailing, hiking, biking, caging it or motorbiking, the cost of end of day beers ramped up pretty quickly. One of the reasons is that I travel (99% of the time) alone so I tend to find a local bar at the end of the day. 4 to 6 beers a day , more on occasion. It's a great way to meet new folks but it's not cheap.

Add the top line stuff up (petrol, accommodation, food and booze) and I'm looking at an average daily cost of about 90 to 100 a day - in Central, Southern & Western Europe. The US wasn't much different. I can't speak to other regions.

As for when, that kinda depends on how quickly you want to move and where you want to go and in what conditions you're comfortable riding in. Personally I'd avoid ice and snow which rules out every interesting road in Europe in the winter time (and some of the more boring ones) which means Spring (April) through to Autumn (October) is good for the northern Hemisphere. Reverse that for the Southern.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
Freshage OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hmmm, it does indeed add up. And I too am a bit of a beer head. Do like getting into a good bar and spending the night there making buddies. Have done this for years when backpacking. It's the perfect way to add life to an adventure, so many locals always have a say about what they think is best to do the next day.

I really need to sit down and start with a rough plan of where, when and how long I'd like to do it.

Also, I might, MIGHT consider taking the Multistrada 1200S... The only fear then is it's bloody expensive to service, very desirable to the 5 finger discount opportunists and weighs a bloody tonne when loaded up.
Freshage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshage View Post
Hmmm, it does indeed add up. And I too am a bit of a beer head. Do like getting into a good bar and spending the night there making buddies. Have done this for years when backpacking. It's the perfect way to add life to an adventure, so many locals always have a say about what they think is best to do the next day.

I really need to sit down and start with a rough plan of where, when and how long I'd like to do it.

Also, I might, MIGHT consider taking the Multistrada 1200S... The only fear then is it's bloody expensive to service, very desirable to the 5 finger discount opportunists and weighs a bloody tonne when loaded up.
I wouldn't stress too much about the nickabiity of the Duc. Sling a cheap cover (the ones that pack to the size of a small down sleeping bag are great and dirt cheap) on it every night, add a lock and that's good enough. The only time I'd be really concerned is if the bike were parked up in the same place, day and night, for more than just a few days - that's when a secure parking location (hotel garage etc) comes in really handy.

Good luck with the planning :) ADV is a great resource so go nuts. Assuming you work on 400 ish miles a day and 100 a day you're looking at a beer filled 3 month and 40,000 (ish) mile trip. FWIW If that were me, I'd head on over to the colonies (US and Canada) and have one hell of a road trip.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshage View Post
But only the tip... I want to go around the world!

A little background real quick, I'm 26 (still young I hope), have been into motorcycles since I could walk. I currently own a Ducati Multistrada 1200S, previous to that a long list of Ducati's... I'm a bit of a Ducati fanboi... My last being a 1098S.

I'm also a bit of a backpacker, certainly a yes man. Always up for a new adventure. In fact, I just signed up to a 1.5km swim along the Thames in Henley (UK) for a free beer...

I was planning on selling both my beloved BMW M sport and my Multi 1200S after my trip to Europe in 20 days. Which is a 15 day long trip around France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, The Netherlands and Belgium... 5 days of which are spent in the Alps. So when I get back I'd have some cash, not much as the bike is in Finance (1 out of 2 years left). The car isn't.

I have no idea what amount of cash I would need to be honest, so I don't know if 20,000 ($34,000) would be enough... Would it be best to leave over winter? Or in Spring? I honestly don't know.

But anyway, the research from the Europe trip has truly sparked this HUGE adventure in my mind that I feel is just right. As it so happens I was planning on going backpacking for a year at the end of this year. So I would just do it on a bike instead!

I'm reading through this site at the moment (clicky), which is dead helpful. But does anyone else have any advice on research I should do in order to get the ball rolling?

Thanks, Chris.
One thing to consider is that the bank financing your bike may have something to say about you leaving the country on it, check your contract and check with the bank to be sure. Probably best if you own the bike outright.
Navy Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM   #6
mchaggis88
n00b

Oddometer: 5
started?

Have you started your journey yet?
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM   #7
Capri142
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
One thing to consider is that the bank financing your bike may have something to say about you leaving the country on it, check your contract and check with the bank to be sure. Probably best if you own the bike outright.

Very good point, Also you need to check on insurance for the bike and perhaps even more importantly for yourself/.