Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #46
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk@Wilbers

@all: I did not see any necessity for telling everybody that they should contact Klaus, although, if you'd take a look at our website (www.wilbers.de/usa) under service-points, you will find Klaus Hueneckens name, his e-mail address and his telephone number. Klaus is the licensed service-point dealer for us in the USA and that for I guess 5 years or so.
If you are wondering if he would provide servicing for the shocks, he has to do due to our contractual relationship. Klaus is selling Wilbers shocks from NJ, but keep in mind that we are the manufactuerer.
I cannot even guess what Klaus told you so misteriously, but maybe you can enlighten me?!?
Klaus is the licensed service-point today, but if he is being cut out of the loop on the retail end, which it looks like he is, that may not be the case tomorrow, hence all of the concern.

Quote:

Well, I also would like to know what the problem is... Klaus knows that Wilbers wants to promote its products in the USA via our online shop and that we now would like to sell directly to the end customer. If there will be more Wilbers shocks in the USA, that would be something we all would profit from: Wilbers, you (because you can compare prices) and Klaus as well, because he will do the servicing and maintenance.
That is why our prices might differ from his, we are selling to the end-customer while Klaus has to calculate differently.
I disagree. Seems like the only people benefitting for sure is the parent company, who is now selling shocks into the US for, assumedly, quite a bit more than they were going through Klaus. I'll also bet you dollars to donuts that Klaus makes more margin on the inital sale than the service, and without the initial sale it might not be worth it on the service end.

Quote:

If you'd decide on buying at Klaus place there is nothing I can do about it, but I want to tell you that the shocks you'll get were all built in the same factory, namely directly here in Germany. I'm sure that Klaus won't disavow that.
More BS; you are all but outright saying not to buy from Klaus. Anyone that knows anything about Wilbers, or has talked to Klaus already knows the shocks come directly from the factory to Klaus. I might also add that this was the case for any other folks selling Wilbers in the US before (i.e. Andrew, Motofanatic.net.) They got their shocks thru Klaus as well.

Quote:
So, if you would be so kind and tell mw your worries, it seems a little unfair to just tell everyone to contact Klaus without telling me (who provided you with the group-buy opportunity in the first place) why, now isn't it?
I'll tell you my worries. I'm worried that your screwing Klaus over and that I have made a poor choice in spending my $1500+ because of it. If this situation does not get straight post haste l'll guarantee there will be sales lost to Ohlins as a result, and potentially no US point of contact. If the latter does happen, you can bet there will be folks who will not buy Wilbers just because of the lack of a US POC, myself included.

I, for one, hope this shit gets straight quickly, because my shocks will need to be serviced w/in the next few months and I have no intentions of sending the to Germany.

Just my thoughts--

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM   #47
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Sort of sounds to me, like Advrider has become a serious profit center for Wilbers. Wilbers HQ (Germany) may be thinking that they could make a hell of a lot more profit by cutting out the middle man.

I bought my Wilbers from Klaus as well and received good service and I love the product. I agree with another poster that this unfolding scenario has created some doubt as to future supply chain reliabiliy, service cicle etc.

As consumers, we actually hold the power. My suggestion is to stay with Klaus across the board unless he says otherwise. If there is any monkey business, Wilbers HQ will have simply shot themselves in the foot.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #48
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,732
shady dealings and questionable circumstances seem to follow this product around like a black cloud.

why anyone would want to buy a wilbers shock in 2006 is beyond me.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #49
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Try buying an Ohlins for a F650 Dakar and you'll find out.
brewer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 PM   #50
monkeyman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
shady dealings and questionable circumstances seem to follow this product around like a black cloud.
NF, is there a previous history of bad dealings with Wilbers? I'd never heard of the company until I started looking into aftermarket shocks about a month ago.
monkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 08:16 PM   #51
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinskeep
NF, is there a previous history of bad dealings with Wilbers? I'd never heard of the company until I started looking into aftermarket shocks about a month ago.
this thread should be all you need to see. talk about unorganized. go with Ohlins.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 AM   #52
Drifter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinskeep
I had a perfect purchasing experience with Wilbers USA -- and so have most if not all the folks reporting their Wilbers USA experience here on Advrider. Wilbers are a great product!
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 AM   #53
Dirk@Wilbers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Hello everybody... I see there is still a lot of confusion going on here. Just wanted you to know that I'm not running away or anything but would like to comment on your posts in detail.
That will take some time (remember I have to translate my answer first), but I assure you I'll be back here with a detailed statement as soon as possible.

Thank you for waiting...

Dirk
Dirk@Wilbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 AM   #54
nachtflug
infidel

why don't you sell your shocks like normal people and then there won't be any confusion.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:54 AM   #55
retroone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
why don't you sell your shocks like normal people and then there won't be any confusion.
Sounds like you are just mad because wilbers WON'T make KLR shocks!!!
I shure wish you took me up on the ride my new 1200GSA offer at BV. I would of taken a picture and posted it in the dose my GS suck.
retroone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:42 AM   #56
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Hello everybody... I see there is still a lot of confusion going on here. Just wanted you to know that I'm not running away or anything but would like to comment on your posts in detail.
That will take some time (remember I have to translate my answer first), but I assure you I'll be back here with a detailed statement as soon as possible.

Thank you for waiting...

Dirk
Dirk, if you are an internet salesman with the company it might be a good idea to have the head sales executive of the company issue the official policy of the company on here and as to how your products will officially be sold in USA. Maybe before that you and Klaus get on the same page.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 AM   #57
718Rider
Urban Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQD8R
I would think if the manufacturer was trying to screw over the dealer wouldn't they just stop supplying them? I agree the issue - if there is even one, and I'm not sure there is since all we've had up until now is innnuendo and nothing concrete from the interested parties, needs to be resolved ASAP. There's a taint attached to this thread that has already turned away prospective buyers of a quality product.
It's a pretty common practice actually, and I've got some experience in the wholesale marketplace. Here's the deal - a manufactuer with limited brand awareness hires a distributor or sales agent to sell its product in an underserved market. Once the distributor establishes some brand presence and relationships, the manufactuer can come in and sell direct. Sucks for the little guy.
718Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #58
eaglemike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 904
I had a very good experience with Klaus on the FJR1300 group buy. We all ended up waiting a little, but it was well worth it, IMO. Klaus has been excellent to deal with.

Re: KLR650 shocks. I spoke with Klaus about a year ago on this. They can make them - it sounded like they already have them available. I personally don't have the time to help with a group buy thing. Another issue is price, even with the group buy discount. Not many people are willing to pay for a custom shock on a dual sport bike. IIRC, it was somewhere around $500, less whatever discount the group buy would bring. Still quite a bit less than Ohlins, and each one custom from the factory. Not a bad deal.................

I want & need a rear shock for my R1200RT, but would strongly prefer going through Klaus.

all the best,

Mike
eaglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM   #59
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 718Rider
It's a pretty common practice actually, and I've got some experience in the wholesale marketplace. Here's the deal - a manufactuer with limited brand awareness hires a distributor or sales agent to sell its product in an underserved market. Once the distributor establishes some brand presence and relationships, the manufactuer can come in and sell direct. Sucks for the little guy.
True,,,I have had much experience in it too and there is always a right and wrong way to do it. The right way is to be upfront with Klaus and let him know what is happening and that he can still service and sell but they will be selling direct and probably at a lower price. The wrong way is for it to pop up unknown and have basically a telemarketer notify the major customer group of new company policy.
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:29 AM   #60
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter
Sort of sounds to me, like Advrider has become a serious profit center for Wilbers. Wilbers HQ (Germany) may be thinking that they could make a hell of a lot more profit by cutting out the middle man.

I bought my Wilbers from Klaus as well and received good service and I love the product. I agree with another poster that this unfolding scenario has created some doubt as to future supply chain reliabiliy, service cicle etc.

As consumers, we actually hold the power. My suggestion is to stay with Klaus across the board unless he says otherwise. If there is any monkey business, Wilbers HQ will have simply shot themselves in the foot.
I'm in agreement w/ you. I, too, got my Wilbers thru the normal US channels, and have received nothing but top notch support from Klaus. In fact, one of the reasons I went w/ Wilbers over the other options was due to Klaus and his level of support even before I bought anything from him.

It is safe to say that w/out Klaus there is a good chance I'd have Ohlins on my bike right now. It is 100% sure that if I had to order the Wilbers from Germany w/ out a US POC that I would not have gone w/ them.

Like I said, I sure hope this gets straightened out soon. As it has been demonstrated a number of times, this group here is a loyal bunch and intolerant of any shenanigans and if this drags on very long there is a good chance folks will just rule Wilbers out and then everybody loses.

kix

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote