Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #16
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,855
The bigger tire serves as extra suspension as well as treading lightly off road due to more surface area to spread the weight of the bike versus a smaller tire. Maybe why they call it trail wing because it barely leaves a mark on the ground it touches, like flying! Certainly not flying like it has great speed!
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #17
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
The big rear tyre is a fall back onto the 70's sand bikes often fitted with balloon tyres.
In Japan they often lace a 14" rear rim onto a front hub and have 180/80/14 tyres front and rear
Attached Images

K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:57 AM   #18
K44rll
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Build your own custom TW with genuine Yamaha parts on this Japanese site....

http://www.yamaha-motor.jp/mc/lineup/sportsbike/tw225/custom/index.html

Karl
K44rll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #19
khead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
This bike is cracking me up. Gotta admit I'm tempted just on account of it's odd coolness.

Looks like you can get the "motard" tires in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/s/103-5694671-...ne%2FFirestone
khead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #20
Sprocketz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15

http://www.procycle.us/main/supermoto.htm
Sprocketz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,540
Added a tw to the stable...

I bought on the other day. Bought it from a LEO out of Watsonville and this thing is beat up! Not very well maintained and UGLY! Could be one of the coolest little bike I've ever read. I've already pulled it apart and lubed the steering head bearings... They were so tight and dry that I could barely turn the bars. Also put some new Pro-Tapers and Risers on it to make it fit me a bit better. It's a beater and I don't even care.... Runs like a champ, engine's tight and clean, gets around 70 MPG and it's whisper quiet. I'm keeping it and I'm e gonna trick it out in to a Mini-Commando Adventure Machine.

Camera was dead so I didn't start taking pics until I had the steering put back together..

Now I want another one so my wife can ride slow too.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #22
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Those bikes rock like jet skis, must be purchased in pairs for ultimate enjoyment!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #23
youthenrage
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
these are seriously EVERYWHERE in Japan. I saw hundreds of them, all totally customed and looking SWEET. I wish I'd taken more pics while I was over there, but it was just overload. I've been wanting one ever since I got back.
youthenrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #24
2LBOX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I Have A Couple Of T-dubbs Myself. My Thirteen Year Old Son Rides The Heck Out Of It On Our Property And Plans To Keep Riding It To School When He Get's His License. I Used To Ride One When I Was Farming In Idaho And Love It. I Am Going To Change Sprockets On Both, One Higher And One Lower. My Wife Is Going To Start Learning To Ride On One Until She's Ready For A Bigger Bike. I Love Them. My 12 Year Old Son Is Starting To Be Able To Handle One Too And Wants To Follow In His Brothers Footsteps As Far As Riding It When He Gets His License. Great Bikes. Glad To See Some Links For The T-dubbs.
2LBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:29 AM   #25
tpar1220
such a pud..

Oddometer: 2,417
neepuk,

i am looking at replacing bars on my tdub aw well. are the bars u installed higher and taller than stock...if so. gimme a part#. they look sweet, just what im lookin for.

and, did all the controls slip right on?

i just did a 230 mile day on mine and had a blast. but only thing that bothered me was arms n shoulders, so i am thinking higher n wider bars will fix that.
84.2 mpg on 1 tank and 89.4mpg on last tank.

if ya have the right mindset, big fun can be had on a tw..
tpar1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:53 AM   #26
Streamin' E
Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427

I bought one last month for my son and I to trail ride. I absolutely love it!
Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their “betters.”- Tom Sowell
Streamin' E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #27
neepuk
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpar1220
neepuk,

i am looking at replacing bars on my tdub aw well. are the bars u installed higher and taller than stock...if so. gimme a part#. they look sweet, just what im lookin for.

and, did all the controls slip right on?
The bars I installed are much higher and wider than the stockers. In order to put them on you'll have to remove and reroute the carb/throttle cables, which also involves removing the tank. The brake cable and wires are all plenty long to function as routed. You'll need risers too. I'm using a Pro-Taper 3/4" riser that also adapts the stock 7/8" triple to the 1 1/8" bars. The bars I'm using are the "Woods High Bend" model.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #28
Centerline
USMC 71'-79'

Oddometer: 338
The TW is a blast on a twisty road too....

'07HuskyTE450
56 miles
'09 Harley Fat Bob
24,400miles
Centerline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #29
rah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
comes with a free change of atitude

after doing 40,000 miles on a 950 a TeeDub 200 came into my clutches. loved it so much i bought a 2nd one. yeah, a 250 this or a 450 that is better at doing most things if you want to do them faster. but a 200 is going back to basics. calm. cheap. chilled. brilliant. on the highway you move over to the slow lane and stop worrying about buffeting and tinitis. the price of maintenance and gas becomes irrelevant. ride up steep dunes at walking pace, if you get stuck you put your foot down and push it out. lift the bike out with one hand. put it on a trailer without using the ramp. lend it to anyone. teach anyone to ride. anywhere.

there are folk who have been 500 miles a day for 7 days on these things. iron butt without an offensive carbon foot/bum print. and they see so much more of the places they're travelling through.

a lot has been said about the tyres: yes the make the steering a little slower, they're not good for winning a motocross event. but they are good for gentle, slow rides through very sandy jeep tracks, impressively steep dunes; paths that tighten your sphincter on a 950 become non events on the teedub.

a few teedub riders mention the lack of power, shortage of suspension etc. imho they're all missing the point. it has as much power/suspension as it has and you do with that what you can; which is almost everything. here is a bike that, with minimum skill, you can use all of and concentrate on where you're going rather how fast you can get there.

lovely bike that comes with a free change of attitude, for the better.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:38 AM   #30
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah
after doing 40,000 miles on a 950 a TeeDub 200 came into my clutches. loved it so much i bought a 2nd one. yeah, a 250 this or a 450 that is better at doing most things if you want to do them faster. but a 200 is going back to basics. calm. cheap. chilled. brilliant. on the highway you move over to the slow lane and stop worrying about buffeting and tinitis. the price of maintenance and gas becomes irrelevant. ride up steep dunes at walking pace, if you get stuck you put your foot down and push it out. lift the bike out with one hand. put it on a trailer without using the ramp. lend it to anyone. teach anyone to ride. anywhere.

there are folk who have been 500 miles a day for 7 days on these things. iron butt without an offensive carbon foot/bum print. and they see so much more of the places they're travelling through.

a lot has been said about the tyres: yes the make the steering a little slower, they're not good for winning a motocross event. but they are good for gentle, slow rides through very sandy jeep tracks, impressively steep dunes; paths that tighten your sphincter on a 950 become non events on the teedub.

a few teedub riders mention the lack of power, shortage of suspension etc. imho they're all missing the point. it has as much power/suspension as it has and you do with that what you can; which is almost everything. here is a bike that, with minimum skill, you can use all of and concentrate on where you're going rather how fast you can get there.

lovely bike that comes with a free change of attitude, for the better.

Well Stated!!

Todd

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote