User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
Python423 OP
TnAdvRiders.com

Oddometer: 1,273
IMS Tank on DR650 questions

Started putting on my IMS today... Got a few questions.. theres 2 hoses on the stock petock. I'm assuming the smaller 2nd one is a vent. Whereas the IMS has the vent from the top of the cap.

What needs to be done with this line? it goes back into carb or something. Do I need to get another longer fuel line and connect this to the top cap?? or just run this one back of somewhere out of way and get another shorter piece for the top to run somewhere? or do they need to be connected?

Any quick responses would greatly be appreciated, as I'm in middle of installation and waiting response before continuing..

Also do you usually keep the front stock plastic fairing for the tank? It appears to fit with the IMS tho doesn't fit up perfectly, but looks ok I guess? do you guys usually leave this off or on?

Python423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #2
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
The second one is not a vent line. It is a vacuum line to actuate the stock petcock. The one that comes with the IMS tank is a manually operated petcock, so you have blind that smaller line. I would do that where it comes from, on top of carbs' vacuum slide.

I've been told you can remove the plastic plate that sits in front of the fairing.

(but didn't that fuel tank come with an installation manual??)
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #3
sjotis
ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
The second one is not a vent line. It is a vacuum line to actuate the stock petcock. The one that comes with the IMS tank is a manually operated petcock, so you have blind that smaller line. I would do that where it comes from, on top of carbs' vacuum slide.

I've been told you can remove the plastic plate that sits in front of the fairing.

(but didn't that fuel tank come with an installation manual??)
The Installation page doesn't mention the plastic plate. I removed it - the tank didn't seem to fit with it on.

I had the same question about the vacuum line - thanks!

'01 BMW R1200C
'03 Suzuki DR650

Towson / Baltimore , Maryland, USA
sjotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The plastic thing would not fit on my bike so it was ditched.
The vacuum line was capped on the carb...a hose/inlet cap/hat...found at an auto parts store.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
DZSO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
IMS Tank

I had the same Q's myself when I installed my IMS tank. Here is what I did. The vacum line from where it came off the original petcock, I put a bolt of the same diameter in the hose, secured it with a zip tie and stuck it under the seat/fuel tank area. That way I could go back to stock configuration if needed. As for the plastic shield, I did not install that with the IMS tank as it did not fit perfectly. The only problems that I had with the IMS tank was that the right turn blinker rubs up against the tank when its full right turn. Other than that, no other problems. did buy the tank from KEINTECH (Jesse) with the PINGEL petcock already installed. To me, worth the $75.00 for the petcock as the quiality and workmanship are outstanding.

Let us have some pic's of the finsihed product!

DZSO
DZSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,190
I put a coarse pitch wood screw in the vacuum line and tucked it away.

The IMS tank is drilled for the oem petcock - w/ a dual stem, but they include a single stem petcock.....and the oem petcock is a tight fit or rubs cylinder fins.
Rigging a gasket to seal a single stem in a two-stem hole is the issue I had. One gasket lasted a few weeks, deformation from squishing it tight made it ooze and lose it's seal. I made a stiffener the size of the single stem homemade gasket out of thin metal plate - never leaked again.

The Pingel would have been the way to go.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
Gordon Gilbert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
I had to pull off the plastic guard on both bikes I fit the Ims tank to. The vacumn line I pulled of at the carb, and bought a vacumn line cap assortment (different colors for different diameters) at auto zone. You must make a good seal here or it will effect air fuel mix. The IMS supplied pet cock is not great quality, however that said, I used the supplied gasket and o ring and neither bike has had problems in 12,000 miles. I would however try and make a concious effort to shut off fuel when not using, That tank has alot of head pressure. And lastly the reserve on the petcock is pretty minimal, since the tank is split in two when it gets down low, I have had to lay the bike on its side more than once to get enough gas to keep going. But all in all its a decent system for price (paid 169.00 for tanks), although twin petcocks would rule.

Hope it works out for you.
Gordon Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Gilbert
I had to pull off the plastic guard on both bikes I fit the Ims tank to. The vacumn line I pulled of at the carb, and bought a vacumn line cap assortment (different colors for different diameters) at auto zone. You must make a good seal here or it will effect air fuel mix. The IMS supplied pet cock is not great quality, however that said, I used the supplied gasket and o ring and neither bike has had problems in 12,000 miles. I would however try and make a concious effort to shut off fuel when not using, That tank has alot of head pressure. And lastly the reserve on the petcock is pretty minimal, since the tank is split in two when it gets down low, I have had to lay the bike on its side more than once to get enough gas to keep going. But all in all its a decent system for price (paid 169.00 for tanks), although twin petcocks would rule.

Hope it works out for you.
Sounds similar. Those caps at Autozone for the inlet come in several sizes. But you just typed that.

I run an inline fuel filter that has a loop in the fuel line from tank to carb. It's best to lever reserve before it's at that level, so that you don't get air into the looped line. I close the petcock when fueling the bike.

Not rocket science...just touchy.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
tigrebleau
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZSO
... The only problems that I had with the IMS tank was that the right turn blinker rubs up against the tank when its full right turn. ...
Good excuse to move the front turn signals up by rotating the mounting plates and rotating the light stalks 180 degrees. Puts them up near the barkbusters where they're much less subject to damage and well away from the IMS tank at full-lock. Looks much cooler, too.
tigrebleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #10
Danilla Ice
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Vent hose?

Hey guys... Relative noob here with a question to ask as sheepishly as possible:

Why do the ims instructions say to connect up the [provided] vent line tubing to the existing tank vent line when there was no tank vent line to be found on my 09 DR? Am I to assume that I just run the ims cap vent line down somewhere out of the way? The only tube I noticed of similar diameter was a short piece coming out of the carb (not the vacuum tube, but something else). The bike runs fine with the cap vent line just hanging out there unconnected to anything(ordered a short mx one way valve tube and cap that I will replace it with), but I wonder about that hose coming out of the carb...

Am I missing something?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
GRN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
New question - IMS 4.9 on DR650

My blinkers make significant contact with the 4.9 tank on both sides... has anyone fabricated a jig to move the blinkers forward about 1"? I also have the Lynx fairing, so I only have about 1" to work with. I figured there are enough of these tanks in use that someone may have already made these available... if not I'll fab up something on my own.
GRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN View Post
My blinkers make significant contact with the 4.9 tank on both sides... has anyone fabricated a jig to move the blinkers forward about 1"? I also have the Lynx fairing, so I only have about 1" to work with. I figured there are enough of these tanks in use that someone may have already made these available... if not I'll fab up something on my own.
Swap the blinkers from left to right (or right to left if you're that way inclined - weirdo).
Bend the locking tab straight...

Before...

After...
NordieBoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:13 AM   #13
GRN
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
Swap the blinkers from left to right (or right to left if you're that way inclined - weirdo).
Bend the locking tab straight...
Don't confuse me, I'm already dyslexic

I looked at swapping the brackets before and I don't think I have room with the moose guards... I'll take a closer look tomorrow - thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
GRN
Adventurer

Quote:
Don't confuse me, I'm already dyslexic

I looked at swapping the brackets before and I don't think I have room with the moose guards... I'll take a closer look tomorrow - thanks!
It's actually even easier that you made it out to be... just have to loosen the directional enough to allow it to rotate 180 back into its locking countour, loosen the top clamp bolt enough (or just remove) to allow the bracket to rotate, and it will bolt back on sans modification.

That said, it still doesn't quite fit with the moose frames and fairing... thinking a minimum investment in some washers may make it work though.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:58 PM   #15
GRN
Adventurer

Quote:
It's actually even easier that you made it out to be... just have to loosen the directional enough to allow it to rotate 180 back into its locking countour, loosen the top clamp bolt enough (or just remove) to allow the bracket to rotate, and it will bolt back on sans modification.

That said, it still doesn't quite fit with the moose frames and fairing... thinking a minimum investment in some washers may make it work though.
It's tight, but spacing it out a bit with washers worked... tastes great, less filling! Thanks for prompting me to take a closer look at that option!