User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2006, 07:46 AM   #1
adaycj OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Touring on KLX250S

I seem to have developed a bit of insanity. I used to live 450 miles north from here (Ann Arbor, MI), and I am returning this summer for a motorcycle trip. I have returned before on my ZRX while camping, but this time I want to take my KLX 250S.

I am on babysitting duty this weekend because my wife is taking a MSF course. So I am using this weekend to plan the trip for a few weeks from now. I apparently have lost all decision making power (is it the babysitting?) and cannot decide if I should ride or drive.

I have a SUV that can haul the KLX. If I go this route I need a trailer, or a hitch hauler. With lights, the hauler, straps and shipping I can get out of this for $300, but only if I buy the cheap AMC 400 hauler on e-bay. Aluminum stuff scares me sometimes because of the failure mode. If it is cheap junk I can always get a steel one, but the good ones are $350 all on their own. Then there are the moto-tote and mx-hauler ones. It might save me money anyway because I can easily camp from the SUV. I hate trailers and have no budget for a good one, so I am not even considering it.

Or I could ride. But it is 300 miles on expressway (70 mph), and then 150 of more asphalt one way. I can go 100 miles on a tank, so fuel stops need to be planned carefully. Or I could get an Acerbis 3.7 gal tank, but they are on back order for eternity. Then I would need some luggage. But can I really get any on this machine? I see lots of stuff that will hold my wallet, but camping gear? Plus the rack proclaims it can only hold 11 pounds. While I am sure a super lightweight set of camping gear could almost work, that is stuff I dont own. My tent, pad, and pillow are 10 without anything to hold them down. I could use seat bags, but a quick check behind me while riding tells me that it better not take more than 6 inches of seat, or Ill be every uncomfortable on the trip. And then there is that seat. On top of that the rear tire is way gone. New ones are not a problem, but Id likely smoke them on the trip.

So help a person with no decision making abilities. Will the KLX250 even make the trip? Anyone wear a back pack on a motorcycle for this type of trip?
Am I attempting to make a KLR out of a KLX? Should I let the adventurer in me go and ride in the SUV for 900 miles even if I might have been able to ride?
adaycj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:12 AM   #2
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 269
Maybe you should look into renting a motorcycle or open trailer from UHAUL. Last time I checked in my area I could rent a motorcycle trailer from them for $14/day.

I think riding a KLX250S 450 miles on high speed pavement wouldn't be fun. I have a KLR250 and it's really comfortable to ride long distances at speeds under ~60mph, so I'd consider riding that distance if I coud plan to get there using more scenic/fun secondary roads.
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
I'm sure some riders would thing nothing of it, but 300 miles of expressway on a KLX would be misery for me. This is about all the crap I can cram on mine. Tent, bag, pad, stove, light, pot, total to about seven pounds. If I turned that dry bag lengthwise along the seat, there would be no room for me. I would trailer it.

GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #4
sullydirt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
Adaycj.

My $.02, if you ride the KLX there, you'll probably need to make stops every 100 miles anyway. When you get to your destination you may be too sadlesore and worn out to enjoy the trail riding.

I would buy the aluminum hitch trailer, load up the SUV have a great time riding trails and hual your bike home in comfort.

I also have a KLX250, and I wouldn't want to ride it that distance. You also have to keep in mind, if you have a spill on the trails and break something, you'll be 450 miles from home without a ride? I know, it's supposed to be an adventure but it's a trail bike. The KLR650 would be better for this trip, but the KLX is so much fun on the trails where it belongs.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, be sure to take pictures and post them here.

Mike

sullydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Roarin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Just get on the bike & ride it. Not trying to be smart but in my younger days I managed to clock up just over 30,000kms on a Yamaha DT125. No one says you have to do 120km/hr everywhere. Just ride the bike at a pace it seems to be comfortable at. Who cares if you get overtaken here & there. You will look back on it as a real adventure & remember it forever. My 2 cents anyway.
Roarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust

Oddometer: 2,318
I'm with Roarin.

Get some Sweet Cheeks and ride.

Cars are Coffins.

Flaco
Old 07-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #7
pburke
Talks more than he rides

Oddometer: 995
I just did a basic rider course on a DR200 to get my US motorcycle license after years of riding 600cc thumpers in Germany. Thought I'd hate the bike, but I was quite impressed with it. Very nimble, enough power to go places and probably at 70mpg. It's too small for me (6'2") but other than that, I think the small bikes are a ton of fun because they are light, cheap and do almost everything the big thumpers do. They won't pop wheelies and all that macho stuff, but if you're just intersted in touring on gravel and not having to manhandle a 350lbs 650cc enduro, these bikes are well worth considering (I never thought I'd say that. The only smaller thumper I've ridden before was a '84 XL250s in Germany, and that bike sucked compared to my then XT600 Tenere ;-))

Peter
pburke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Why don't you forget the superslab and make an enjoyable ride out of the trip. Find some backroads, dirt roads and have a fun ride. If Gaspipe and BigDog can go cross country then you should be able to piece together a 450 mile section.

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
switchback
Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer: 1,484
Duplicate

Wind is strong and cold
Rain blurs the winding road ahead
I live on two wheels

switchback screwed with this post 07-13-2006 at 01:59 PM
switchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:08 PM   #10
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Ride it. This is my dirt model dr350...no racks, no subframe. That is my tent and sleeping bag on the rear fender with my backpack cam strapped on top (NO BUNGIES). You may need to get creative with your provided space...but I rode like this across New Mexico and Colorado....and back last summer (about 1400 miles). This is ADVRIDER dammit!

yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerowner_ut
Why don't you forget the superslab and make an enjoyable ride out of the trip. Find some backroads, dirt roads and have a fun ride. If Gaspipe and BigDog can go cross country then you should be able to piece together a 450 mile section.
+1

Take your time and enjoy the scenery.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:26 PM   #12
mtwillyman
Lost and Cornfuzed

Oddometer: 617
I'd do it!!!!

Ride that bike Bro! I rode a 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 305 from New Bern,NC to Dallas,TX in 1984. It's all in your mind. Put a sheepskin seat cover on your bike and go! Peace.
mtwillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:42 PM   #13
Prairie Dog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
Something to add to your decision making . . . . how are you getting home?

If you ride the bike, you might not want to take a chance riding it off road and really enjoying the KLX250S in it's natural habitat.

Of course, if you trailer it up there, then if you break something you can still drive the SUV home.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

'08 KLE 650-A8F
'06 DL-1000 K6
'06 KLX 331 H6
'04 KLR 650 A18
'92 EX500 - one day a KLEX500?
'74 Honda CB350F - project bike

"You'll never see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist's office!"
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
The BIKE would make it...

The BIKE would make it, but the problem is the rider. For me personally, doing it on the highway sounds like a miserable trip. Better to do it on the 2-laners but then it would take longer. I'd vote for the hitch mount carrier. Used ones for sale all the time, or even borrow one from someone.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 PM   #15
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I say find a dirt route and make a ride of it.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote