User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 238 votes, 4.87 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #18481
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,545
Being in the 20's in the AM has limited me to just riding straight into work, but the afternoons have been in the upper 40's or so allowing some laps around Hunter AAF. Todays mileage was 41 (7 miles into work, 2 laps around the base and the ride home).

Tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be "normal" for Savannah...I think an extra lap or two is in order...I've gotten quite jiggly since running a Marathon in November.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #18482
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
....the package arrived today - thank you very much!
You're welcome.

I expect a fitment and performance report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264
So I've decided to break down and buy a trainer. So....what's the best one I can buy for say 200 bucks ?
I like Minoura rim drives. Not cheap, but, work nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
Paul had brought the Black N Tan to show off and get a few more saddle break-in miles logged.
Tell him to soak that thing in neatsfoot oil. Check Sheldon's site for directions.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #18483
uvawiseiochemist
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
So I've decided to break down and buy a trainer. Love my rollers but the only place I can use them is in the porch and right now, it's too goddam cold for me (issues with heat/cold cycles....pardon the pun) and I have nowhere to use one indoors - I will be able to use a trainer though.

So....what's the best one I can buy for say 200 bucks ? Anybody have one they have gathering dust they want to part with ? Noise is not really an issue since I will do this with only me in the house.

I would have to say Ascent fluid trainers are nice. I got mine for $169 online. It is a silicone fluid trainer, so it is relatively quiet. I have ridden LOTS on mine with no problems. I will say to get a cheap/durable tire for the trainer. You may already know, but the trainer will eat your tires quickly.
uvawiseiochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:11 AM   #18484
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,968
Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting a Cyclocross bike.

Any thoughts on this Merida?

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #18485
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Hey Guys,

Thinking about getting a Cyclocross bike.

Any thoughts on this Merida?
I don't know anything about Merida, but, doesn't really matter, as they're almost all made in Taiwan or China. The component spec is solid stuff. The discs will be good, in inclement weather. If the price is to your liking, snatch it up.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #18486
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I don't know anything about Merida, but, doesn't really matter, as they're almost all made in Taiwan or China. The component spec is solid stuff. The discs will be good, in inclement weather. If the price is to your liking, snatch it up.
Spec is pretty good with Shimano 105 10 speed.

Found another one from Avanti, no discs but has rack mounts.

Roughly the same price $1799au for the Merida and $1899au for the Avanti.

Going to be a hard decision thats for sure. Might be swayed by my mate owning a bike shop that sells Avantis.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #18487
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewy View Post
Found another one from Avanti, no discs but has rack mounts.

Roughly the same price $1799au for the Merida and $1899au for the Avanti.

Going to be a hard decision thats for sure. Might be swayed by my mate owning a bike shop that sells Avantis.
Depends what you're going to do with it. I knew I wanted provisions for fenders and racks. That eliminated all the true race bikes. I'd love to have discs, but, it wasn't a deal breaker. I ride in some crap weather. However, I've not encountered anything that made me feel as if I absolutely needed discs.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #18488
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Good point on the rack mounts. They may come in handy in the future.

And I managed to survive about 20 years of riding before discs came out
Old 12-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #18489
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Merida is one of the BIG companies making frames. I even hear rumors they own part of Specialized.

Should be a good bike if it fits.

AFA the choices between the 2: go with yer mate's version.

M
Old 12-30-2010, 08:44 AM   #18490
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,613
Spare Zefal HP part?

Does anyone have an old Zefal pump that's died? I could use the "valve body" which is item 3 in the picture here.

Thanks!
Gerry
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #18491
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,691
Quote:
Does anyone have an old Zefal pump that's died? I could use the "valve body" which is item 3 in the picture here.

Thanks!
Gerry
Ya might could try something outta a Blackburn pump. I'd say they're pretty close in size... I DO have one of those, or yer LBS can prolly get ya one. OR just call Blackburn directly. They may very well send ya one free-fer

M
Old 12-30-2010, 08:55 AM   #18492
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,613
Quote:
You're welcome.

I expect a fitment and performance report.
You bet - I'll get them on in a few days and post a report.

I did take a compilation of the advice offered in other posts and purchased (for now ) and entry-level bike. The purists will laugh since it's an REI Novara Vertia but it fits me great and I got a 30% discount on it. Plus, if I decide I don't like it, I can return it. Specs appear to be a little better than a typical lower end bike: Sram drivetrain/brake levers/shifters, Shimano brakes, Reynolds 520 steel frame (weighs in at 24 lbs), Tiagra hubs, etc:

Stock photo:

Quick indoor shots before it was moved to the garage:

k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #18493
jocflier
Dammit, that hurt...

Oddometer: 2,444
Raleigh still make a good bike? Here is the deal. The wife want to start riding again, but knowing her, it will probably end up as a coat hanger after a while, so, I don't want to spend a ton. It seem everything is pretty much make in the far east, so it shouldn't make much of a different anyway.

Would like to have something with at least 105's on board and keep it around a grand or less. Was looking at a Raleigh Capri 3.0 and it seem to fit the bill. And I have been keeping a eye out on CL here in the bay area with something in her size.

Thanks
Joc
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 PM   #18494
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I did take a compilation of the advice offered in other posts and purchased (for now ) and entry-level bike. The purists will laugh since it's an REI Novara Vertia but it fits me great and I got a 30% discount on it. Plus, if I decide I don't like it, I can return it. Specs appear to be a little better than a typical lower end bike: Sram drivetrain/brake levers/shifters, Shimano brakes, Reynolds 520 steel frame (weighs in at 24 lbs), Tiagra hubs, etc:
No laughing, here. I'd gladly ride that bike. It reminds me of Salsa's Casseroll. I love the color.

And, I wouldn't call that entry-level (meaning: having to move onto something else later, due to lack of quality/performance). The steel frame will give you many years of riding pleasure. The drivetrain is as good as anything out there. So long as you're not a "weight weenie", it'll be all that you'll ever need.

I think you'll really enjoy that drivetrain. If for some reason the 32T cog isn't low enough, that RD will swing a 36T, which SRAM offers in the Apex lineup and is very affordable.

I'd a gotten the slicks on the Fargo to see how it sped along, before buying a road bike. No matter, as one can never have too many bikes.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:54 PM   #18495
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocflier View Post
Raleigh still make a good bike? Here is the deal. The wife want to start riding again, but knowing her, it will probably end up as a coat hanger after a while, so, I don't want to spend a ton. It seem everything is pretty much make in the far east, so it shouldn't make much of a different anyway.

Would like to have something with at least 105's on board and keep it around a grand or less. Was looking at a Raleigh Capri 3.0 and it seem to fit the bill. And I have been keeping a eye out on CL here in the bay area with something in her size.

Thanks
Joc
Raleigh used to be American made, but, not anymore. They're just another Asian made bike. So, nothing special about them.

For that money, I'd shop eBay. I just did a quick search and found bikes, at that component level, for half what MSRP is on the Capri.

Furthermore, is she going to notice the difference between 105 and Sora? Dropping the component level opens up a lot more options.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: