ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 237 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 09:19 AM   #18631
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Fellas,

I rode about 40 miles with the local riding group yesterday. It was a workout, but not painfully hard by any means. A few of the folks were talking about a 100 mile ride. That started to sound pretty reasonable at the end of 40 miles.

I've done a bunch of marathons. They're a pita. They require specialized training, and they mess up your body for a week for so afterwards. Otoh, anyone with reasonable fitness can push through a half-marathon without too much difficulty.

Is a 100 mile ride like a half, or more like a marathon?

Thanks,
Depends on how outta shape you are.

You're not pounding away at yer legs, so its not as hard on you as running. That said, you'll prolly be tired for a few days afterwards. Won't keep you from riding, just don't plan on doing much in the way of intervals and sprints right away.

Oh, and 40-50mi is significanty different than 100...

HTH

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #18632
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Depends on how outta shape you are.

You're not pounding away at yer legs, so its not as hard on you as running. That said, you'll prolly be tired for a few days afterwards. Won't keep you from riding, just don't plan on doing much in the way of intervals and sprints right away.

Oh, and 40-50mi is significanty different than 100...

HTH

M
Thanks. I figured 100 was a big jump from 40. What the hell, I gotta start somewhere.
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #18633
GP640
Beastly Adventurer
 
GP640's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NW AB
Oddometer: 3,287
That Look is really nice.

I've always loved the lines of carbon frame road bikes.
Unfortunately, my minimum weight is 230lbs and although those frames
may be strong enough, I would be scared to ride one.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #18634
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Fellas,

I rode about 40 miles with the local riding group yesterday. It was a workout, but not painfully hard by any means. A few of the folks were talking about a 100 mile ride. That started to sound pretty reasonable at the end of 40 miles.

I've done a bunch of marathons. They're a pita. They require specialized training, and they mess up your body for a week for so afterwards. Otoh, anyone with reasonable fitness can push through a half-marathon without too much difficulty.

Is a 100 mile ride like a half, or more like a marathon?

Thanks,
You are gonna need to get REAL picky about your bicycle seat.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #18635
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
That Look is really nice.

I've always loved the lines of carbon frame road bikes.
Unfortunately, my minimum weight is 230lbs and although those frames
may be strong enough, I would be scared to ride one.
I know whatcha mean. Stick with Giant or Specialized if you go that route. Giant I KNOW is overbuilt. I've worked in one of their shops and they DO NOT want em coming in broken.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #18636
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
You are gonna need to get REAL picky about your bicycle seat.
...and shorts...

...and shoes...

...and nutrition...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #18637
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Bummer.

...but that's why I always have 2 of everything. 1 goes down for something, you have another as backup.

...and it spreads wear and tear over both things (or 3, or 4, or...) so they last longer.

...course that leads to 2 road bikes, a cross bike, and a mtn bike. If I rode more mtn, I'd have another mtn bike too, but I don't, so I'm OK with 1. Ditto with the cross bike. If I was racing more, I'd have 2. In fact, this fall/winter, you may very well see another post sayin 'I've got a secret!' from me.

M
Oh, I have a MTB as a second bike...but it's BB took a dirt nap last weekend. What's that old saying? "If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #18638
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 31,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Thanks. I figured 100 was a big jump from 40. What the hell, I gotta start somewhere.
a marathon is harder than a century. I'd say considerably.
__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #18639
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
a marathon is harder than a century. I'd say considerably.
Ditto, but then I've never done (or considered doing) a marathon. You should work your way up to a century, but you can do so in a relatively short period of time if you're starting from 40 mile rides. Again, IMHO. You're about ready to ride a metric century now it sounds like.

Make sure your bike fits, and don't expend extra energy waving or acknowledging other cyclists, that's key. ; )
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #18640
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
...and shorts...

...and shoes...

...and nutrition...

M
If he's a marathoner, I figure he knows about nutrition and shoes. But you're spot-on about shorts. I have pretty good experiences with Specialized shorts.
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #18641
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Ditto, but then I've never done (or considered doing) a marathon. You should work your way up to a century, but you can do so in a relatively short period of time if you're starting from 40 mile rides. Again, IMHO. You're about ready to ride a metric century now it sounds like.

Make sure your bike fits, and don't expend extra energy waving or acknowledging other cyclists, that's key. ; )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Thanks. I figured 100 was a big jump from 40. What the hell, I gotta start somewhere.
A couple years ago I was doing solo 30-40 mile rides, then I did about a half dozen metric century (62 mile) rides with a local club. It was definitely a change and would probably be the next logical step before a full century. I was usually whipped at the end of the ride, but I was riding a lot faster with the group then when I was riding solo, @ 16mph avg solo @ 20mph with the group. It was a hell of a lot of fun, though.

That's not to say you couldn't just dive in and do a full century, but you might enjoy it more if you worked up to it.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #18642
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .
 
slackmeyer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Oddometer: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
If he's a marathoner, I figure he knows about nutrition and shoes. But you're spot-on about shorts. I have pretty good experiences with Specialized shorts.
That was a good recommendation you made earlier about being picky about the seat, too- great shorts will not make up for a seat that doesn't work for you.

As far as shorts, Voler makes good shorts for reasonable prices- they make a lot of the team/logo stuff that clubs sell, but you can get it without the Bold New Graphics, if you want. And Boure makes very nice stuff, especially for long distance riders. Made in Colorado, too.
__________________
Zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #18643
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: subject to change
Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
a marathon is harder than a century. I'd say considerably.
Yes. By a long shot. I'd go as far as saying that a marathon is harder than a half-Ironman.
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:20 PM   #18644
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy
 
Gaston Gagne's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Western Piedmont, NC
Oddometer: 1,871








__________________
Cela est comment nous roulons.
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:59 PM   #18645
uvawiseiochemist
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Southwest Virginia, deep in the Appalachian Mtns.
Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post
Yes. By a long shot. I'd go as far as saying that a marathon is harder than a half-Ironman.
I agree. I rode a century on way less training than what I did for a marathon. I finished the century hardly fatigued, the marathon was another story.
uvawiseiochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014