ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 134 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #18706
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt View Post
nordic skiing, the biking for the snow-afflicted
Screw THAT! Just go get a Pugsley!
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #18707
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
Screw THAT! Just go get a Pugsley!
oddly enough considering how many widely varied bicycles run around this part of the left coast, I don't think I've ever seen a pugsley except once in a bike shop. not much call for snowtires here, either ;D
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #18708
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti
 
AKDuc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Oddometer: 6,483
Pugsley? Did somebody say "Pugsley?!?" I love it when I hear the word "Pugsley."

Had mine for about 4yrs now. Ride it 4mi to work on a groomed bike/ski trail almost daily each winter unless it's icy then I'll used a mt. bike with studs. Fun!



AKDuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #18709
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag
 
Chisenhallw's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: I've narrowed it down to 'earth'. Or 'Baltimore'.
Oddometer: 4,325
You look like a snow ninja!
__________________
2001 Kawasaki Concours
2001 Suzuki SV650
MD ABC TOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I wanna go terrorize hipsters at farmers markets... in first and second gear. Farm fresh burnouts for all!
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #18710
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,674
I'm just not ready to go there.
__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D

I'll repeat again here... The V7 is set up for lightweight/entry level riders.
-Todd at GuzziTech
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #18711
Askel
Perma-n00b
 
Askel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Da UP, eh.
Oddometer: 10,450
On the subject of Fatbike action, I'll be watching a couple of names in the Arrowhead 135 that commences on Jan 31st. Looks like my endurance racing hero Patrick Tsai will be out there along with a local guy I've raced against- Danny Hill.

I'm currently looking at facbook status updates from all my northern minnesota friends reporting temperatures down near -35F last night and still not creeping much beyond -15F yet today. (And this isn't including windchill!)

Not to mention I was just on the north shore last weekend and they have a *ton* of snow over there.

I'm sort of glad my fat bike plans fell through. I have a good excuse to ignore a buddy's call out this fall in which we both pledged to buy Mukluks and enter the Arrowhead 135. (Just FYI, he doesn't have a mukluk or a spot on the roster either. )
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #18712
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 797
An article printed in yesterdays paper about winter bicycle commuters around Minneapolis:
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle...ya_tyycy_eEQDU
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #18713
k7
Ancien cyclist
 
k7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: SOP - south of Phoenix, hotter n hell
Oddometer: 18,194
Thanks - enjoyed reading that.
__________________
Cheers,
Gerry
PHX AZ
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #18714
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,351
+1

And of course the guy is old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Thanks - enjoyed reading that.
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #18715
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
+1

And of course the guy is old...
This morning he probably rode his 18 miles in 15-20 below zero. It might be all the way up to zero for his ride home this afternoon.

Respect.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #18716
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV
 
Mr Head's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Yorba Linda, The outskirts of the OC.
Oddometer: 6,351
No kidding.

I left the garage this morning on my adventure bike, in freezing to me 38 degrees F.
I'm certain the mighty Adventure would not even click in a zub-zero garage, since I would NOT be out there.

Though I have in my younger days ridden the 7 miles in more than a foot of snow to my office, (when I lived on the edge of Denver), only to arrive just in time for the announcement at our morning meeting that the company would take a "Snow Day" since all the schools and roads were closed.
That day I worked a full ten hour day since it took that long for my wife to drive across town.
That was a mess.
Gear was cold and wet and more snow was piling up. What I remember was how every crank of the pedals the front would slip to one side then the other opposite of my foot hitting bottom dead center.
Had a Highway patrol car flash me and shine his spot light on me thinking I was a motorcycle my halogen lamp was so bright front and rear.

I have been in Southern California way too long to be ready to ride in that snow cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
This morning he probably rode his 18 miles in 15-20 below zero. It might be all the way up to zero for his ride home this afternoon.

Respect.
__________________
...Richard
"...the road goes on forever and the party never ends..." - Robert Earl Keen
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:03 PM   #18717
GP640
Beastly Adventurer
 
GP640's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: NW AB
Oddometer: 3,231
My wife rides. She's got an old beater Wheeler mtb with cheap, skinny studded tires for a winter bike.

She told me that people on her route are starting to notice and make comments.
Even a couple of local Mounties asked about her set up.
Studded tires are life savers.

Seems that people have a spot in their hearts for cyclists who have some level of dedication(or should it be commitment?).
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #18718
pilot
Slacker Moderator
 
pilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Kansas City
Oddometer: 30,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
My wife rides. She's got an old beater Wheeler mtb with cheap, skinny studded tires for a winter bike.

She told me that people on her route are starting to notice and make comments.
Even a couple of local Mounties asked about her set up.
Studded tires are life savers.

Seems that people have a spot in their hearts for cyclists who have some level of dedication(or should it be commitment?).
I think it is insanity.
__________________
The other 10% are sociopaths , serial killers and KLR riders. You wont get much sympathy from them.
-Furious D

I'll repeat again here... The V7 is set up for lightweight/entry level riders.
-Todd at GuzziTech
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #18719
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 797
I used to ride sporadically through the winter on a set of studded tires, but my enthusiasm for riding started decreasing with each extra layer of clothing I have to put on. At this time of year, by the time I get dressed, I don't even want to go out anymore.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 PM   #18720
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
No kidding.

I left the garage this morning on my adventure bike, in freezing to me 38 degrees F.
I'm certain the mighty Adventure would not even click in a zub-zero garage, since I would NOT be out there.

Though I have in my younger days ridden the 7 miles in more than a foot of snow to my office, (when I lived on the edge of Denver), only to arrive just in time for the announcement at our morning meeting that the company would take a "Snow Day" since all the schools and roads were closed.
That day I worked a full ten hour day since it took that long for my wife to drive across town.
That was a mess.
Gear was cold and wet and more snow was piling up. What I remember was how every crank of the pedals the front would slip to one side then the other opposite of my foot hitting bottom dead center.
Had a Highway patrol car flash me and shine his spot light on me thinking I was a motorcycle my halogen lamp was so bright front and rear.

I have been in Southern California way too long to be ready to ride in that snow cold.
I'll draw the line at precipitation that sticks around unless I'm specifically going mtn biking in it. If its falling on me as I'm out, that's another story. I HAVE been out in snows this winter. No big deal.

AFA dealing with the cold: you gotta get accustomed to it slowly. ie: go thru fall and progressively dress warmer and warmer. When I would come back to NoVA from Sandy Eggo, I always had plans to go riding. That 40deg temp swing made that a REAL tough talk with myself. Usually lost out to 'its too freaking cold!'

Now? I'm planning on riding to work tomorrow. Highs are supposed to be in the low 20s.



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014