User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 02-26-2011, 02:52 PM   #19006
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
That's some old-school Halson and Control Tech suspension forks..

I thought my RS SID with Englund cartriges was old..

Oh, it's not a YETI ti, just a small Canadian copy..
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM   #19007
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
That's some old-school Halson and Control Tech suspension forks..
I use to have a Halson "Inversion" that I trash to hell and never fail, So over the years I collect a few, Yes that are not that great but is such a cool concept with a Impeccable execution I still ride them.

Actually the WTB bike also has a Lawill on her current configuration.

In fact I use to have one of the early Mert Lawill forks (one of 13 ever made in 1992 or so, made in san francisco by Kosman's) and when it broke they send me one of this since Control Tech purchase the rights from Mert, but sadlly was never the same

Quote:
I thought my RS SID with Englund cartriges was old..
Rock shox I never Liked, maybe because long time ago I work there and I got to see how they where made, Plus I just like strange old stuff
Old 02-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #19008
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Actually looking for the picture of the old lawill fork, I found a picture of one of the three frames I ever made in about 1988/1989, frame with "Elevated chainstays" and super short chainstay

the city of Bogota, Colombia in the back ground
Old 02-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #19009
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
For those that haven't been around a while, NOW you see why I said 'Yay Ricky's back!'

He's got more talent in his little finger than I do in my entire body.

M
Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #19010
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,314
You have cool old bikes. All my old bikes have since failed or have been sold. I have a Pro Flex Animal I still ride, mostly at Ray's Indoor Mtb Park and the Girvin Vector 2 fork that came on it sits patiently in the corner waiting for a new spring or elastomer. I have an old Raleigh Mt1000 Titanium Tomac signature too that my wide rides. People keep telling me I need to retire them to a museum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Good for you Mgorman, I never did that much volunteer work that is for sure

Well I don't have Tourette's, But this days I'm heavy as a pig and shake from time to time, I'm just lucky my wife is really strong and skillful so we can trade places.

It's not a lot of volunteering, I like to ride and it gives me an excuse not to do work around the house! I've tried to get my wife to ride me on back but she is afraid. My friend Diana has no problem riding any guy who wants on tandem with her, she's about 6' and also rides a Hyabusa. My former wife tried riding me on one once, it scared the crap out of me because as soon as we started to roll she went full panic and started shaking the whole bike!!

Years ago we went to Salamanca NY for an off-road tandem rally where my wife earned the nick-name "White Knuckles". If you like off-roading your tandem... http://homepage.mac.com/bmanagan/fart/

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #19011
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
For those that haven't been around a while, NOW you see why I said 'Yay Ricky's back!'

He's got more talent in his little finger than I do in my entire body.

M
Come on Gummee, I'm actually not that Good, I just have lots of passion, A thick skull, Plus I'm relentless with the things I like.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #19012
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
You have cool old bikes. All my old bikes have since failed or have been sold. I have a Pro Flex Animal I still ride, mostly at Ray's Indoor Mtb Park and the Girvin Vector 2 fork that came on it sits patiently in the corner waiting for a new spring or elastomer. I have an old Raleigh Mt1000 Titanium Tomac signature too that my wide rides. People keep telling me I need to retire them to a museum.
Oh I got a few new bikes like this Nicolai M-Pire but I just don't like them as much as my old stuff or maybe I just don't have the balls and/or to ride them to their limit so I always feel like they want more.

Quote:

It's not a lot of volunteering, I like to ride and it gives me an excuse not to do work around the house! I've tried to get my wife to ride me on back but she is afraid. My friend Diana has no problem riding any guy who wants on tandem with her, she's about 6' and also rides a Hyabusa. My former wife tried riding me on one once, it scared the crap out of me because as soon as we started to roll she went full panic and started shaking the whole bike!!
That is a really good point about the "Excuse" to not work.

Lauren my wife is fearless so she is game for almost anything, The problem is that she works way to much so we never really have time to ride them for long.

I used to have a friend and teammate many years ago that push me way beyond my sanity level (and I was pretty Insane then) to go down some really nasty shit, stuff that most people will walk but the tandem was long enough not to endo (we did melt & pop many inner tubes that is for sure), that woman was incredible plus super dupper strong and light, pretty much the best tandem partner I ever found
Quote:

Years ago we went to Salamanca NY for an off-road tandem rally where my wife earned the nick-name "White Knuckles". If you like off-roading your tandem... http://homepage.mac.com/bmanagan/fart/
Well we still need to go to Moab and we live in salt lake city, so I don't think a trip to new york is ever going to happen
Old 02-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #19013
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
I used to have a friend and teammate many years ago that push me way beyond my sanity level (and I was pretty Insane then) to go down some really nasty shit, stuff that most people will walk but the tandem was long enough not to endo (we did melt & pop many inner tubes that is for sure), that woman was incredible plus super dupper strong and light, pretty much the best tandem partner I ever found
Cool bike - I asked a female team mate/mtb racer if she'd do "iceman cometh" on the tandem with me. Her reply was an impolite comment on my sanity

I forgot to mention our team's shop mechanic Jon, who is legally blind but can see well enough to work on bikes. An older gent usually rides him on tandem and they can fly. He rides thousands of miles a year on rollers just so he can enjoy the Wednesday night ride.

BTW, Just in case, the girl on the back of the tandem is my grand daughter, not one of the blind stokers.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #19014
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Cool bike - I asked a female team mate/mtb racer if she'd do "iceman cometh" on the tandem with me. Her reply was an impolite comment on my sanity
Yeah most people don't want to ride them so I'm not surprise
Quote:

I forgot to mention our team's shop mechanic Jon, who is legally blind but can see well enough to work on bikes. An older gent usually rides him on tandem and they can fly. He rides thousands of miles a year on rollers just so he can enjoy the Wednesday night ride.
Oh man, somewhere i have a link of a guy that is TOTALLY Blind and races mountain bikes with the help of a "spotter" this person just rides behind the blind person telling when to turn, shift or even jump, Yes he is slow but who cares is really incredible to see

I'm going to try to find it
Quote:

BTW, Just in case, the girl on the back of the tandem is my grand daughter, not one of the blind stokers.
Yeah i was wondering about that
Old 02-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #19015
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
Nice old bikes, Ricardo! I have been lusting after a FS to see what they are all about. But I am happy with the way the Hardtail rides. It's fun to still be able to get out there. Sounds like you guys have some good stories!
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 AM   #19016
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Nice old bikes, Ricardo! I have been lusting after a FS to see what they are all about. But I am happy with the way the Hardtail rides. It's fun to still be able to get out there. Sounds like you guys have some good stories!

Find one to demo for a day or borrow one that fits. I had a Trek Fuel 100 OCLV I raced for a couple years but fell in love with the hard tail 29r I borrowed so I bought one and sold the fuel. I can live without rear suspension but not front.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #19017
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,653
Quote:
I use to have a Halson "Inversion" that I trash to hell and never fail, So over the years I collect a few, Yes that are not that great but is such a cool concept with a Impeccable execution I still ride them.
In fact I use to have one of the early Mert Lawill forks (one of 13 ever made in 1992 or so, made in san francisco by Kosman's) and when it broke they send me one of this since Control Tech purchase the rights from Mert, but sadlly was never the same
Rock shox I never Liked, maybe because long time ago I work there and I got to see how they where made, Plus I just like strange old stuff
Halson seems like the "Tucker" of auto industry, one of those company that had great concept and products, but got strongarmed and pushed out of business for lack of marketshare.
I'm a lightweight, never really have the need for heavyduty stuff like a Lawill fork, they are cool looking though.
RS forks were cheap, parts are plenty, easy to work on, I just stuck with it and never seems to give me trouble.

That Nicolai is something rare, too.. last Sept, local ski area was having a free-lift day for MTBs, i went out there with my Balfa 2-Step, had 1/2 dozen great runs until the front tire went flat at full speed and I wiped pretty good, only fleshwounds, nothing broken.. maybe I should have pumped up the tires with more air.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #19018
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Halson seems like the "Tucker" of auto industry, one of those company that had great concept and products, but got strongarmed and pushed out of business for lack of marketshare.
I'm a lightweight, never really have the need for heavyduty stuff like a Lawill fork, they are cool looking though.
RS forks were cheap, parts are plenty, easy to work on, I just stuck with it and never seems to give me trouble.
Yeah Halson was just to small to play with the bog boys, Then again I always found my self on the side of the tinny company with the great ideas

Well you do know that Rock Shox's and Manitou paid royalties to Halson for years for the use of their "Elastomer stack" at least they won that time.
Quote:
That Nicolai is something rare, too..
What can I say I like strange things too, Actually the Nicolai is the best quality I have ever seeing on a current bike, I guess it helps being German and Having a crew of ex-aerospace master craftman

Quote:
last Sept, local ski area was having a free-lift day for MTBs, i went out there with my Balfa 2-Step, had 1/2 dozen great runs until the front tire went flat at full speed and I wiped pretty good, only fleshwounds, nothing broken.. maybe I should have pumped up the tires with more air.

Oh mister Cat you are a man up to my own heart, Over the years I had five Balfa's, Three 2-steps and I still have two of them a FR and a DH and also Two BB7's that I sold but I miss very much since they pedal so great for such a heavy bike.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:22 AM   #19019
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
Quote:
Come on Gummee, I'm actually not that Good, I just have lots of passion, A thick skull, Plus I'm relentless with the things I like.
Like I said...

The difference between you and I is you DO something about it. I just doodle and dream.

M
Old 02-27-2011, 10:31 AM   #19020
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Sometimes I wonder why I even have full suspension bikes, Most of them are so much heavier and for sure far more complex than the hardtails they replace, I guess the only conclusion is that I'm a "technoGeek" and I like things that Move and give me trouble from time to time.

The way I see it a well made steel hardtail already has suspension build in with the natural amount of flex provided by the cro-molly they are made of, when a full suspension is usually made of thicker aluminum tubes that don't flex and/or shock absorb that much from the start.

Yes FS bikes do go faster, Hell they can go way faster but I usually find the "Feel" of the ride compromise, Muffle if you like since the shocks keep you isolated from feeling the ground, Sure they are some exceptions or at least to some extend but I do find FS bikes to be a little "Numm"

Oh I did not get a suspension bike for many years, since the designs where kind of a Joke in my opinion, Actually I take that back, I did have a "Outland" (maybe the earliest VPP design) but the frame crack and the company suck so bad they never replace it, Awesome bike for the time and the starting points of many others including tha Balfa's and in the current day the santa cruz Blur's, Nomad's and some other great FS bikes

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: