User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #19381
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,559
I'm pretty sure that scared me real close to stupid.

I lost count after about six yikes! moments.

What is the deal with POV cams, that they are always pointed just a bit too far down?

And the Dog!

Idiots running under the jumps aren't enough, there has to be a dog?
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #19382
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,817
Finally installed my egg beaters on my bike today, after almost 4 months in the box and tried em with the shoes I bought.

Clicking in will take some getting used to. I have no idea where the cleat is under the shoe. I just end up riding un clipped till I sorta slip in..

Getting some hot spots in my feet. Short ride (3 miles) so I can't definitively say where. But the recent rise in gas prices has prompted me to ride more.

It was high 70s/ low 80s today...
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #19383
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,697
there'd a be a four-minute-long stream of poo behind me

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Looks like so many streets in Sao Paulo!

I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:08 AM   #19384
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
Finally installed my egg beaters on my bike today, after almost 4 months in the box and tried em with the shoes I bought.

Clicking in will take some getting used to. I have no idea where the cleat is under the shoe. I just end up riding un clipped till I sorta slip in..
Having Egg Beaters and Candys, I definitely prefer the Candys. They're a lot easier to click into.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #19385
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Having Egg Beaters and Candys, I definitely prefer the Candys. They're a lot easier to click into.
I had eggbeaters on my last MTN bike, hated em, too tiny underfoot, no support, no partial out on slippery descents.

Just picked a set of Shimano PD M985s for the coming new Mtn bike simply because they have some teeth around the cleat mech.

I even tried eggs on my road bike for a spell but still felt they created a hot spot in the center of the ball of my foot. You would think the hard sole of a bike shoe would make up for it but it didn't. So i went back to Look Keos on the road bikes.
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #19386
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Looks like so many streets in Sao Paulo!

Is the rider wearing a pinstripe suit?

Anyone notice he started giggling at 2:31. It's like the realization of insanity finally sunk in. Awesome.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:46 AM   #19387
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchulopadre View Post

Even if the video title hadn't said 'Chile', I would have immediately guessed South America.

That could easily be outside the mother-in-law's house in SP...
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #19388
BmoreBandit
Gnarly something..

Oddometer: 465
love the suit and the purple bar. why take it too seriously? it's nuts!

mostof you have probably seen this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz5FVLPihw

there is also a popular video of dave knight racing a downhill mtbiker (and not winning, eh).

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
BmoreBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #19389
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBandit View Post
love the suit and the purple bar. why take it too seriously? it's nuts!

mostof you have probably seen this-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTz5FVLPihw

there is also a popular video of dave knight racing a downhill mtbiker (and not winning, eh).
Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #19390
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
I even tried eggs on my road bike for a spell but still felt they created a hot spot in the center of the ball of my foot. You would think the hard sole of a bike shoe would make up for it but it didn't.
I, periodically, only pull up on the pedals and skip pressure on the downstroke, to help alleviate hot spots. I do a lot more distance than speed and have found this crucial for longevity. Likewise, I stop every 12-15 miles, a few minutes at a time, to let the bloodflow back into my rearend. I can easily do centuries, without discomfort in either area, using this method.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #19391
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,222
Finally found a Picture of my early steel Lawill/Kosman Leading link suspension fork, vintage 1991, in mountain bike evolution old at hell, but what a wonderful piece it was, with a super easy to rebuild and tune Risse shock too
Old 03-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #19392
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I have found certain wheels have free play proportional to how tight the quick release is. Sounds funny but true. The quick release will deform the axle and adjusters enough to change the play.

1st, try adding more tension to the release (only a little) and see if it changes.

2nd, some wheels that use cartridge bearings (like in a dirt bike wheel) wear out and get slop just like the motorized version. Some, depending on the quality, can be adjusted with the threaded spacers if they happened to come loose but should be inspected so they don't fail on the road. I've had 2 inboard bearing next to the freehub fail on me over the years locking up the freehub and making a fixie out of it!

If the wheel uses loose ball bearings, adjust the cones so there is just a tad bit of slop in the axle then place washers over the axle to simulate the frame or fork and tighten down the quick release. Turn the AXLE not the wheel and see if there is any binding or slop. Adjust till there is no binding or slop then remove the washers and remount on the bike.

The reason I do it this way, if you adjust the cones to precision, zero slop, then tighten the quick release, the bearings will get bound up. When you spin a wheel in the frame, you have lots of leverage on the bearing and no clue of they are bound up.
It was #2. The cones needed to be adjusted. Good as new. Thanks much.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #19393
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post
Finally found a Picture of my early steel Lawill/Kosman Leading link suspension fork, vintage 1991, in mountain bike evolution old at hell, but what a wonderful piece it was, with a super easy to rebuild and tune Risse shock too
Those things were wicked cool.

I wish I still had every bike I ever purchased, but space and frequent moves made it impossible. I had one of the first titanium WTB Phoenix frames Steve Potts built but sold it when I bought an Ellsworth... what a dummy.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #19394
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,352
I dreamed of putting one of those fork on an old GT LTS frame to match up them four-bar linkage.. a bike like that would weigh tons..

Old 03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #19395
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,559
Working from home rocks!
I'd spent the last two days working from home in bare feet and beach shorts soaking my ailing toe.
So, yesterday I was feeling pretty good.

Almost 80 outside at 3, so I gave the cycling shoe a trial fit. Yep not a lot of pain.
Out to the garage and pull the Roubaix down, only to pull the valve stem out of the rear tube, I'd just replaced the last ride Sunday after blowing up the previous tube.

So, I changed tubes. And found my pump I'd brought back form PNWet doesn't work. I think the checkvalve is either stuck or missing.

Anyway got the bike all back together and off. Feeling my good to be on the bike and out in the warm again. Light onshore as I head down the trail.
This keeps my speed down to around the more usual 16.5 mph.
When I get out of the wind I can kick it up to about 18, and even manage 22 for about a mile.

I had decided that I'd ride for an hour and turn around. That's what I did.

This turned out to be about 5 miles further than I have legs to ride. That last five miles hurt.

I got back to the house at just under 33 miles and just over 2:05.

And pretty much collapsed.
Felt really good to be back to working hard on the bike. Zero joint pain and only a small complaint form my toe. I went through about four big glasses of water and a couple of foot soaks. Then in bed by 8:30.

I'll get another ride in Saturday morning and if I'm up to it a hike on Sunday.

Another 750 miles and I can get into the big ring. I may get there by the end of April.
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: