User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 295 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 03-20-2011, 08:49 PM   #19516
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,054
One of our locals used an old Tourney hanger from a huffy and mounted an old Durace rear derailer to it then attached it behind the nut of his kids JR BMX with 3/8 rim which were mounted to and old cassette hub all run buy a thumb shifter.

That little kid used to ride the wheels off that thing on long rides with his dad.

Our team shop sells Red Line and I've been trying to get them to try Jamis and Rocky Mountain

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #19517
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

BTW, I keep forgetting to dig those parts out the few of you requested.

Tomorrow night is garage night and hopefully I'll remember

Old 03-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #19518
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
I was just using the numbers as a reference for your 1x9

SS's are great, you pick a gear that will allow you to climb as many hills as possible and maybe have to walk one or more depending on the distance. Most of the races the hills are fast enough going down you rarely pedal anyhow unless it is a flat race.
Thanks Michael. It's useful- I'm excited to try reducing the number of speeds and the amount of complexity on my bike. The guys I see on single speed hardtails always seem to be having a lot of fun.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:14 AM   #19519
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
One of our locals used an old Tourney hanger from a huffy and mounted an old Durace rear derailer to it then attached it behind the nut of his kids JR BMX with 3/8 rim which were mounted to and old cassette hub all run buy a thumb shifter.

That little kid used to ride the wheels off that thing on long rides with his dad.

Our team shop sells Red Line and I've been trying to get them to try Jamis and Rocky Mountain
I like Rocky Mtns too. Tough sell next to the China sourced stuff tho. They're either gonna be more pricey or the same price, but with a lower spec component group.

M
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #19520
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackmeyer View Post
Thanks Michael. It's useful- I'm excited to try reducing the number of speeds and the amount of complexity on my bike. The guys I see on single speed hardtails always seem to be having a lot of fun.
As someone that started riding mtn bikes before there was such a thing as suspension, I find it highly amusing that there's a trend back to that kind of bike.

M
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #19521
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

The roadies have already gone back to the one piece bar / stem combo of mtb years gone by. I remember breaking one of the bars and having to ride it back on "1/2" a stem.

Most SS mtb riders seem to like the purist form, all rigid, but I'm too old and beat up therefore I will always have a suspension fork on my bikes.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM   #19522
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,042
Set a new personal best Thursday. Averaged 20.2 mph on a 21.3 mile road ride. I've never broken out of the 19's, at least not on a solo ride. Must've been a tail wind. That was a good way to end a not so good week. Friday I had to drive 440 miles to my grand father's funeral. The previous Saturday, a red light runner totaled my car.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #19523
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
As someone that started riding mtn bikes before there was such a thing as suspension, I find it highly amusing that there's a trend back to that kind of bike.

M

I ride my full suspension and hear my friends rave about how great is it to ride a full ridged, so I give it a try. Fun yes, for me, no...... I do this about once a year.

At least I remember that my knees don't like single speeds. Pain is a great reminder.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:58 PM   #19524
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,900
Just finished grabbing the bicycle tag-o-rama tag. 22 miles and 1400 feet of climbing. That is enough for my out of shape ass. Beautiful day out there today.

Here is where I dropped the tag, one of only a few wooden streets left in the country.

trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #19525
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,447
Quote:
Hit the Redline, Specialized, or Jamis catalogs online and lemme know if you see something interesting.

M

edited to add: you been riding at all? How's the truck? etc. (PM me if you'd rather)
Truck and bike running perfect.

I JUST started commuting again on the bicycle.

3 miles ... soon I will turn it into 3 miles in 30 miles out.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #19526
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,023
Has anyone bought parts on fleabay? Are there certain brands I should stay away from? (I'm on a tight budget, but want to start riding again)

I'm looking for a new bb and triple crankset for my cannondale road bike. The ones are there right now are Shimano Biopace from the mid-90's.

Thanks
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:55 PM   #19527
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Has anyone bought parts on fleabay? Are there certain brands I should stay away from? (I'm on a tight budget, but want to start riding again)

I'm looking for a new bb and triple crankset for my cannondale road bike. The ones are there right now are Shimano Biopace from the mid-90's.

Thanks
No need to get too expensive. Look for a set of 110mm BCD rings that match the ones on there now, just round instead of oval.

OR go with a compact double and save weight too! If you're going that route, look for SRAM Apex or Rival, and/or Shimano 105.

HTH

M
Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 PM   #19528
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,023
I have a Rocky, Glacier.
LIke me it is old, tho, not as old. Rides like a chopper, but is still better than I am.

Quote:
I like Rocky Mtns too. Tough sell next to the China sourced stuff tho. They're either gonna be more pricey or the same price, but with a lower spec component group.

M
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #19529
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 3,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I have a Rocky, Glacier.
LIke me it is old, tho, not as old. Rides like a chopper, but is still better than I am.
Nice bike.

Here's my old bike, now a 1x9. Waiting for a new sram derailleur/shifter to make it actually a 1x9- my old XT stuff is not wanting to shift well. I could probably clean up the bushings and make it work better again, but it has a cracked pulley as well, and a newer sram derrailleur doesn't cost much more than a pair of replacement pulleys.

By the way, anybody have an old v brake booster arch laying around? They seem kind of scarce these days, and the ones on ebay look like crap. The seatstays on this homegrown are pretty flexy.

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #19530
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,975
How the hell do I clean this thing? What do I use to lube the chain?

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: