User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM   #19561
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,583
Anyone notice we're fixin to hit a million views?

M
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM   #19562
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Yeah, I've been cruising at a good clip, when I have a cop car come around a blind bend going pretty good. That time I was on the old Pinarello and took to the dirt/gravel/weeds to avoid the idiot. I flipped his lights on and kept going, despite my adv salute. I don't hear at all well and when I exercise I don't wear the expensive hearing aids. So I'm kind of out there with that crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The worst I've witnessed was on a rail-trail, in southern IL. I could hear something coming that surely wasn't a bicycle. Around the bend comes a pickup truck cruising 50-ish. Scared the $hit out of me. It was a company truck with lettering all over it. Worse, yet, the trail was parallel to a highway. WTF?
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #19563
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post

M
Not surprising. I think this is probably the best thread on the whole site. Informative, entertaining, and none (or very little) of the "mine's bigger than yours" bs that happens in other threads! In fact, this has become the first thread I come to when I check into ADV
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #19564
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
Not surprising. I think this is probably the best thread on the whole site. Informative, entertaining, and none (or very little) of the "mine's bigger than yours" bs that happens in other threads! In fact, this has become the first thread I come to when I check into ADV
Uppssss I hope I don't come across as one of does...

I just like to share the big passion I have for pedalbikes, Plus Like I say before I was "Starve" for bikes (and skates, skateboards, music, etc) for years living in sur America (in the 80's at least with mountain bikes) and then coming here I can find All my dream bikes for so freaking cheap I need to have them all.

Again I hope I did not offend anybody.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #19565
MK Bike
D2T

Oddometer: 142
Looking for motorcycle / bike race advice

The Gran Fondo is coming to New York on Sunday May 8, 2011.

I was recently selected to be a motorcycle volunteer for the event and will be carrying a photojournalist throughout the day.
While I have ridden my bicycle in many organized rides; NYC Century, Montauk, 5 Boro tour, etc., I have never been in road race. Let alone one with support vehicles.
Other than “don’t get too close to the riders/peleton” any advice from those of you have been in road race and thought, “I wish that motorcycle with photographer wouldn't......"
Or any other advice you can share about bike race / support vehicle etiquette.

By the way, if you are in the NYC area and would like to be a motorbike volunteer for the day, they are looking for more assistance: http://www.granfondony.com/volunteer.php

Mike.
MK Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM   #19566
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn View Post

I just like to share the big passion I have for pedalbikes, Plus Like I say before I was "Starve" for bikes (and skates, skateboards, music, etc) for years living in sur America (in the 80's at least with mountain bikes) and then coming here I can find All my dream bikes for so freaking cheap I need to have them all.

No way man - relax - we're all happy to have you here.
k7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #19567
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,571
Oh, I figured it out. I never see that page.

Cool

Quote:

M
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #19568
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,116
Quote:

M
pretty amazing...
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #19569
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Notes from the Chris King shop tour...

They have a huge indoor bicycle parking area with room for roughly 70 bikes and an on-site mechanic to fix flats, tune bikes while they're there.
Locker rooms with private shower/changing stalls and a custom down draft locker ventilation system
A dining area with an outstanding chef who prepares a limited selection menu every day
They obviously have some very talented people but the work flow layout and thoughtful space setup was simply amazing. Of course there were dozens of machines busily humming along making chips so we can all get our fix for purposeful, great looking parts.

I was impressed to say the least.

Oh, and I dropped my new-to-me 990ADV today in front of a moto repair shop. The mechanic sure got a laugh out of it and I need a new blinker.
VertigoCycles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #19570
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Not at all! From my point of view, at least.
I meant people in this thread share info rather than argue over which brand is superior, etc..etc..
I didn't mean for anyone to think that what I posted was directed at them, and if they did, well they need to relax...
Old 03-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #19571
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop View Post
Not at all! From my point of view, at least.
I meant people in this thread share info rather than argue over which brand is superior, etc..etc..
I didn't mean for anyone to think that what I posted was directed at them, and if they did, well they need to relax...
Great, It Make sense now.

After saying that Nokian Natural rubber presta Tubes are by Far the Fastest and best looking of all the innertubes ever made....
Old 03-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #19572
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Great, It Make sense now.

After saying that Nokian Natural rubber presta Tubes are by Far the Fastest and best looking of all the innertubes ever made....
Best looking is kind of subjective, but understandable since you're talking about innertubes.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #19573
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,425
Adventure Bikers-- the "Iron Riders"

I was paging through a mountain bike magazine at a local coffee shop and came across this story. I thought it was fascinating.

1897-- Members of the US Army's 25th Infantry stationed at Ft. Missoula, Montana bicycled as from Ft. Missoula 1900 miles to St. Louis, Missouri. Carrying full military kit including Krag-Jorgeson rifles. This was a proof of concept mission. The original mountain/adventure bikers.

Iron RidersTolman website

Northern Rockies Heritage Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronridersTolman
When the Swiss army announced this year it would abolish its 110-year-old bicycle brigade, the world's last remaining combat cyclist regiment, it didn't need to spell out how much the world has changed since the 1890s.
The U.S. Army had a bicycle unit back then, too. Formed in 1896, the 25th Infantry Bicycle Corps at Fort Missoula, Mont., was established to test the practicality of bikes for military purposes in mountainous terrain. The idea had been kicking around for years, as bikes already had been put to military use in Europe, and cycling for sport, recreation and transportation gained tremendous popularity on both sides of the Atlantic in the 1890s.
Gen. Nelson A. Miles, born in Westminster, Mass., began advocating for bicycle couriers in the Army after seeing a six-day bicycle race in Madison Square Garden in New York in 1891. He wrote that unlike a horse, a bike did not need to be fed and watered and rested, and would be less likely to collapse. Furthermore, a bike is smaller and quieter than a horse and thus could help a soldier sneak up on the enemy, he argued. It was Gen. Miles, who became known as "the patron of military cycling," who approved Lt. James A. Moss' request from Missoula to form the bicycle corps.

Book link-- Ironriders
I have this book on order via Amazon, I'll report in after I finish it.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #19574
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I was paging through a mountain bike magazine at a local coffee shop and came across this story. I thought it was fascinating.

1897-- Members of the US Army's 25th Infantry stationed at Ft. Missoula, Montana bicycled as from Ft. Missoula 1900 miles to St. Louis, Missouri. Carrying full military kit including Krag-Jorgeson rifles. This was a proof of concept mission. The original mountain/adventure bikers.

Iron RidersTolman website

Northern Rockies Heritage Center

Book link-- Ironriders
I have this book on order via Amazon, I'll report in after I finish it.
Jurgen thanks for all does wonderful links, You are right the real pioneers where pedaling way before the proper bikes where "Invented", same with Motorbikes, trucks and even the wheel
Old 03-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #19575
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,140
Quote:

No offense, here. I like to see what people got. If they didn't show it off, one would never get to see stuff they've never seen before. Likewise, with information and the sharing of knowledge. I like the new as well as the old.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: