ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 132 votes, 4.76 average. Display Modes
Old 03-31-2011, 01:23 PM   #19636
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Crit ?
Shortened for Criterium race. Usually held on shorter courses such as downtown city blocks, old speedways, industrial parks, etc... Timed events, rather than mileage based. I like them for the fast-pace and constant flux of the pack.
__________________
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #19637
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust
 
Flaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Historic Montrose CO
Oddometer: 2,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Ah, cool. Probably missed that earlier in the thread.

I have a crit this Saturday followed by a RR Sunday morning in Rock Hill, SC. Looks like the weather is going to clear out just long enough for the races to happen. I need more top 5 and top 10 finishes if I'm going to cat up this year.
It would have been way, way earlier...I remember the day Perry started this thread.

Anyone remember Perry?

I raced a fair amount around the Boulder area from about 1992 thru 2003. I was always much faster in a mountain bike or CX race than on the road...I was a good climber and good runner but never really did much as a sprinter.

Since then I've put on about 60 lbs, lost 20 of it and am just racing to remind myself to be concerned about my fitness and not just buy new, larger pants every year. Looking at the photos from last nights race I don't see myself as much as some fat guy in my jersey and on my bike.
__________________
VIVA LOS MTNADS
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:59 PM   #19638
Flaco
Zombie Holocaust
 
Flaco's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Historic Montrose CO
Oddometer: 2,318
So...this is about the nuttiest thing I've seen today.

Execute or die...


__________________
VIVA LOS MTNADS
Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:25 PM   #19639
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Shortened for Criterium race. Usually held on shorter courses such as downtown city blocks, old speedways, industrial parks, etc... Timed events, rather than mileage based. I like them for the fast-pace and constant flux of the pack.
Thanks, I figured it was a race, I just didn't get where crit came from
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #19640
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...
 
Mercury264's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Masshole
Oddometer: 21,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
It would have been way, way earlier...I remember the day Perry started this thread.

Anyone remember Perry?
Perry is still here, he's just called Zodiac now.
__________________
'12 Tiger 800XC
'07 TE510
'02 Sprint ST
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:34 PM   #19641
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus
 
TheNedster's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Perched atop the Great Central Valley
Oddometer: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
Here I am, far right, on my Pmount (gummee) with St Champ and Jr Woman in tow. The kid on the focus kept pulling thru too hard and gapping us...then we'd catch him again and he'd sit on and then gap us again.

Maybe he was just fighting the added wind resistance from that helmet visor and front reflector.

Even though that kid would probably drop yours truly, choking and wheezing, halfway through the first lap.
__________________
"The V-Strom Man sits up straight and only picks his nose when he is 100% sure that no one is looking." - Uncle Larry
TheNedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #19642
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed
 
Zodiac's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2001
Location: Brooklyn
Oddometer: 30,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
It would have been way, way earlier...I remember the day Perry started this thread.

Anyone remember Perry?

I raced a fair amount around the Boulder area from about 1992 thru 2003. I was always much faster in a mountain bike or CX race than on the road...I was a good climber and good runner but never really did much as a sprinter.

Since then I've put on about 60 lbs, lost 20 of it and am just racing to remind myself to be concerned about my fitness and not just buy new, larger pants every year. Looking at the photos from last nights race I don't see myself as much as some fat guy in my jersey and on my bike.

I'm still here Flaco, just had to do a name change for obvious reasons (was my real name)...

Still riding too, been riding once or twice a week, fixed gear in the local park (Prospect Park), and the roadie on wknds in upper NJ/NYstate.

__________________
2011 Duct Tape Roll
1997 Cycle Therapy mini pump
1988 Aerostich Fleece collar scarf
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM   #19643
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco View Post
I raced a fair amount around the Boulder area from about 1992 thru 2003. I was always much faster in a mountain bike or CX race than on the road...I was a good climber and good runner but never really did much as a sprinter.

Since then I've put on about 60 lbs, lost 20 of it and am just racing to remind myself to be concerned about my fitness and not just buy new, larger pants every year. Looking at the photos from last nights race I don't see myself as much as some fat guy in my jersey and on my bike.

I was like most folks I guess. Always had a bicycle while growing up. Living as far out in the country as I did, it was used mostly for transporting whatever between my friend's houses and mine. I never even knew about competitive cycling until I was in the Navy back in '94 and had a few buddies that did it. I did not start racing until last year though and jumped in with both feet. Completed two mountain centuries here in N.C. competed in 27 races from March to September and completed a 200 mile ride in 13 hours with two of my team mates.

It's a worse addiction than motorcycling ever was... I seriously get cranky and frustrated when I don't get some miles in on the bike just about daily throughout the warm months. Winter roller sessions are just an exercise in patience and pain tolerance for pedaling in one place as long as I can stand it. I love it though and it has been the best improvement on fitness I have ever experienced. I'm in better shape now than I was as a rescue swimmer in the Navy (while smoking 1.5 packs per day). Just wish I had known about competitive cycling when I was an errant youth with an overabundance of energy and testosterone. Man what I could have done with a nice bike and a little knowledge.
__________________
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:32 AM   #19644
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble
 
TheYeti's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: North Carolina, a little left of center
Oddometer: 1,058
This this pretty crazy too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWCn3BbwyA
__________________
"It sucks, It's always gonna suck.
You've got to learn to enjoy it."
Enjoy the Suck
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 04:31 AM   #19645
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
I was like most folks I guess. Always had a bicycle while growing up. Living as far out in the country as I did, it was used mostly for transporting whatever between my friend's houses and mine. I never even knew about competitive cycling until I was in the Navy back in '94 and had a few buddies that did it. I did not start racing until last year though and jumped in with both feet. Completed two mountain centuries here in N.C. competed in 27 races from March to September and completed a 200 mile ride in 13 hours with two of my team mates.

It's a worse addiction than motorcycling ever was... I seriously get cranky and frustrated when I don't get some miles in on the bike just about daily throughout the warm months. Winter roller sessions are just an exercise in patience and pain tolerance for pedaling in one place as long as I can stand it. I love it though and it has been the best improvement on fitness I have ever experienced. I'm in better shape now than I was as a rescue swimmer in the Navy (while smoking 1.5 packs per day). Just wish I had known about competitive cycling when I was an errant youth with an overabundance of energy and testosterone. Man what I could have done with a nice bike and a little knowledge.
Yeah. I know what you mean about what happens when you don't ride. You wouldn't like to be around me if I didn't.

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #19646
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,370
I'm not blowing great big ole gobs of snot outta my nose.

I'm not laying in bed wishing I were dead and/or puking due to a headache

The sun's out after what seems like forever of rain (with more to come)

I'ma gonna go ride my bicycle for an hour or so for the first time since last Wed when this cold walloped me upside the head.

Leaving in...

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:05 AM   #19647
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
I'm not blowing great big ole gobs of snot outta my nose.

I'm not laying in bed wishing I were dead and/or puking due to a headache

The sun's out after what seems like forever of rain (with more to come)

I'ma gonna go ride my bicycle for an hour or so for the first time since last Wed when this cold walloped me upside the head.

Leaving in...

M
Cheers and have a great ride. Looks like the weather is improving here as well.
__________________
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 AM   #19648
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,370
You guys see this yet?

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #19649
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,370
Its 1April...

Take that last one with a grain of salt.

Duh!



M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #19650
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Mebane, NC
Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Its 1April...

Take that last one with a grain of salt.

Duh!



M
Bastage! Had me going with the headline....
__________________
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014