Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 53 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #20011
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
You've seen Askel's before and after pics right? The man's a stud.
NooooooooooOOOooOOooOoOooOOoooooo. Link me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!

VR: them earbuds still have your name on em if yer still innerested

M
Thanks! I'd forgotten about those! You can let them go to someone else, if you'd like. I got some as a gift recently. Nice of you to remember me and I'm sorry I didn't let you know earlier!

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:00 PM   #20012
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimble View Post

How many miles do you reckon you ride in a season?

I guess I don't really know. This was one of the few times I really paid close attention to distance and speed. Usually my riding goals are for more qualitative than quantitative (but hey, more is always better! right?).

I was kind of reminded why that's a good thing for me when I was talking to a friend about this and she freaked out that I didn't finish the last mile and half or so to round out a full 150. She's a runner, and everytime she runs there's a very specific goal of distance and speed and probably heart rate and who knows what else. Listen to her talk about running sometime and you'd think it's the worst torture ever inflicted on man. She's always injuring herself and otherwise not having a great time.

Besides, given the sort of riding I usually do, mileage alone isn't a real good measure of anything.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:02 PM   #20013
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide View Post
Ok. I need a pic of your legs. Now.
Yes ma'am.

I can assure you though, the vast majority of me is "huggably soft".
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #20014
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Which one of you wanted the Deore XT 8 speed shifters?
what style shifters are those? my son's vintage trek roadbike, he'd like to get away from downtube friction shifters towards bar end or brifters... its currently 7-speed but I'm pretty sure an 8 speed will fit.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #20015
VelvtRide
i can haz a motrsykle?

Oddometer: 25,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Yes ma'am.

I can assure you though, the vast majority of me is "huggably soft".
Oy. Butt, too.

Eat to live, don't live to eat. - VelvtRide, 2011
VelvtRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #20016
elchulopadre
Hairodynamic

Oddometer: 2,997
Quote:
My trusty Kona Jake.... Touring/cyclocross/gravel road racing/commuter bike extraordinaire.

Not feeling too bad today. Might go out and ride a couple hours tonight with some friends. This will probably be my last chance to get on a bike until May 8th.

Spent a goodly portion of yesterday leaving the bike in 39x17. I'm really, really digging the singlespeed CX bike idea more and more. The only thing that really sucks is a steady headwind.
Dayum! That's really impressive, dude!
elchulopadre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:33 PM   #20017
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,024
Quote:
I just ate a whole pizza.

And I'm still hungry.

148.38 miles today. Furthest I've ridden yet. Took me 10 hours of pedaling and an hour's worth of breaks.

Feeling a little more confident that I'll be able to knock off the 162 mile gravel road race I signed up for in three weeks. I have to complete it in under 15 hours to qualify as a finisher...
And I was feeling pretty good about my 45 mi ride . It's was just a warm up, for you. Great job. and Good luck.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #20018
Lewy
Minus the LC8

Oddometer: 1,952
148 miles is crazy. I am trying to build myself up to that. I did 98kms and 1500metres of climbing on Easter Saturday on my CX bike.

Now I just need to get serious about dropping around 25kgs.
Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #20019
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Which one of you wanted the Deore XT 8 speed shifters?

May be interested in the Campy brake levers if their the newer blunt style
Not me.

Yup. PM me your email and/or phone and I'll take a pic

M
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #20020
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
This occured last Monday on a downhill section of new to me single track. A tree reached out and snagged the right handlebar. Landed on my head, heard a loud "snap" from the neck, then skidded to a stop on the right shoulder. Jumped up immediately, remounted, and pedaled back to the perking lot. I was very lucky not to have ended up like John Bryer in his "So I had a little mountain bike crash" thread.
The helmet did its job. To the crusher it goes. Picked up another Giro Hex just like it with crash discount from my LBS.

This part was not fun, especially the not-so-refreshing shower afterwards. My jersey only had a little hole the diameter of a pencil. The ribs are still hurting and are a painful reminder not to laugh, sneeze, or fart with any sort of vigor. Still plan on riding the 3 State century on May 7.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 11:17 AM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:29 AM   #20021
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
This occured last Monday on a downhill section of new to me single track. A tree reached out and snagged the right handlebar. Landed on my head, heard a loud "snap" from the neck, then skidded to a stop on the right shoulder. Jumped up immediately, remounted, and pedaled back to the perking lot. I was very lucky not to have ended up like John Bryer.
Pics to come.
Careful out there guys and gals. I had a tree do the same thing to me in a race last year. Took a sizable hunk of flesh out of my left elbow and gave me a mild concussion, but I managed to finish. Amazing what adrenaline can push your mind and body through ain't it? Glad you are ok and posting.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #20022
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Sorta bicycle related...

So I sold my DR-Z SM last weekend and now I'm shopping for another moto. Only thing is, I want to make sure this moto can also carry my bicycle(s) and any gear I may need for trips. I dig the Johnny Rack, but don't know if that's the way I want to go. Seems to be a design flaw with the rear tire still hanging out so far in the wind.

My short list is down to these:
Triumph 800XC
F800GS
Another Wee-Strom (BTDT, got the t-shirt)
KTM 990ADV (Friend has a good line on a leftover '08)

I need it to do highway, two up, DS and carry my bikes. I have zero experience with all but the Strom and thought mebbe some of you'uns have ciphered the holy grail of carrying bicycle with moto.
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting. " -Michael Delaney (Steve McQueen) in Le Mans
Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 AM   #20023
Askel
Perma-n00b

Next time you watch one of those smarmy BMX videos where they land sweet trick after sweet trick, well.... Just remember this:

Crash Party - 'Surfin for the Ugly Broads' from Bone Deth Video WasteLand on Vimeo.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #20024
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 850
Askel I mean, A WHOLE PIZZA? That's awesome!

Submitted to the august panel: like a heavy, green boomerang, my old GT MTB has returned to my possession. I've decided to make it the designated commuter/cruiser/kid puller and am contemplating single speeding it. The rear dropouts are horizontal, so I think I can do w/out a chain tensioner. I'm thinking new chain, single speed kit for the freewheel (7 spd. Shimano), and chainring (can't repurpose the current ones, they're Biopace). I've never done this conversion before. Are there any pitfalls or secrets I should be aware of before starting?
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #20025
Ridge
power 2 the pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
Askel I mean, A WHOLE PIZZA? That's awesome!

Submitted to the august panel: like a heavy, green boomerang, my old GT MTB has returned to my possession. I've decided to make it the designated commuter/cruiser/kid puller and am contemplating single speeding it. The rear dropouts are horizontal, so I think I can do w/out a chain tensioner. I'm thinking new chain, single speed kit for the freewheel (7 spd. Shimano), and chainring (can't repurpose the current ones, they're Biopace). I've never done this conversion before. Are there any pitfalls or secrets I should be aware of before starting?
You could always use a Surly Tuggnut for the tension. It also helps with wheel alignment. I've been using one on my SS 29'er and it helped quite a bit. I would suggest using a SS specific axle/hub though. The Tuggnut does not play well with QR skewers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: