Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #20806
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Well, I went and done it. I secured a coach to give me that push to the next level of performance. Ashley Powell is a local and coaches a few elite/pros. At one time he was ranked as the 5th pro in the country. I'm really looking forward to reaching that next level.

www.catup.com is his site
Well are You ready for your torture test tomorrow.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 06-16-2011 at 09:29 AM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #20807
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
If anyone knows where I can score a freehub for an old Rolf Propel wheel or at least knows a Trek part number, I'd appreciate the help.

Rode Tsali last weekend. It did not suck.

Also rode Bent Creek near Asheville last weekend. No suckage there, either.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #20808
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
I thought most bicycle disk brake hydraulics used mineral oil, not DOT5 ? I know the Shimanos on my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR are mineral oil.
I got a really good deal on a set of Juicy 5's and they are no better than the BB7's that came on the bike.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #20809
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by somecallmetim View Post
I've been going there 2-3 times a week or so since it stopped raining. I still have a long way to go before I can really say i'm riding it. My goal for this summer is to be able to ride the whole thing.

Park up at the fire tower and do the last parts, they are pretty fun. The part from the fire tower to the 1st road crossing is the fastest section. (just remember it's all up hill back to the car!)

I think there is a group of guys from OMBC heading there Tuesday to ride. They are all racers but at least maybe you can meet up with a few new faces. Not sure of the time but I think it is in the evening.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #20810
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
If anyone knows where I can score a freehub for an old Rolf Propel wheel or at least knows a Trek part number, I'd appreciate the help.

what hub does that wheel use? if its a Shimano hub, freehubs should be readily available. if not, good luck. might be easier to lace up a new wheel with your rim and a new hub that uses standard freehubs.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #20811
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Special hub, had a set of those on a Fuel100. You can disassemble them with no tools. Very light weight.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #20812
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
Special hub, had a set of those on a Fuel100. You can disassemble them with no tools. Very light weight.
yeah, I just noticed those are 20 spoke wheels

I dunno, but I bet if you break one spoke, that wheel is unridable?
I'm a big fan of 36 spoke wheels on mountain bikes.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #20813
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Quote:
yeah, I just noticed those are 20 spoke wheels

I dunno, but I bet if you break one spoke, that wheel is unridable?

Very close, we have a set on our tandem, I carry spare spokes taped to the non drive side chain stay.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #20814
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
I thought most bicycle disk brake hydraulics used mineral oil, not DOT5 ? I know the Shimanos on my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR are mineral oil.
I've owned 3 or 4 sets of Juicies. They (and the Hope brakes on my FS bike) all use dot 4, not mineral oil or dot 5.

I like the easy no-mess setup of BB7s, and they're good brakes, easily better than a pair of hydros at the same price. But a good pair of hydros will offer better modulation, and after initial setup can be zero maintenance. I haven't touched those Hopes in 3 years.
Oznerol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #20815
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Same here. I have used the BB7 on all my MTB rigs. With the exception of DH rigs, I really don't see the need for hydraulics on mountain bikes. My BB7's have performed flawlessly every time, plus I can get cables almost anywhere.
They're not *quite* as powerful and not *quite* as smooth, but overall they're good enough for doing what *most* people do and they're what I've been recommending for years.

Went out with the 'local' (Culpeper = 45min away) club again last nite. 5 of us went OTF. 2 of us went OTF of the other 3. I wasn't one of the OTF OTF guys. I was in the group of 3 that was chasing at 3/4 intensity. We'd almost catch up and they'd be up a hill faster than we went and they'd be up the road again. Repeat that a few times...

We were out rolling along pretty good up this hill out in the middle of nowhere... Young Mike was pulling up this hill at a pretty good clip and my legs were shouting at me. Looked over and saw the 'Old Rag Mtn' sign, realized where we were and my legs promptly blew sky high.

It was mostly mental. The shock of seeing that sign just sent me over the edge. Recovered and was fine, but that little bit of hill kicked my everlovin ass.

One of the things ya gotta realize about these Wed night rides is I haven't the foggiest where I am most of the time. I don't know what's around the corner. Whether I'm gonna see rolly hills or whether I'm gonna see a wall. Makes it tough to gauge how much effort to put into things if ya know what I mean. I typically ride an hour+ north of these guys and know that area. I'm lost down south of C-peper.

For those of y'all in the area, the riding around Madison, VA is very nice.

M
Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 AM   #20816
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,671
Quote:
The older brakes all used DOT X fluid. The newer ones are the ones that went to mineral oil.

@Photog: I'm needing to upgrade to discs on my bike. I have a set of Mavic Cross-somethings* with ceramic rims on em. I'll sell em to ya for cheep.

*steel spokes

M
Old 06-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #20817
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post

On another note. Recovering from getting dot 5 brake fluid all over me. Bought a new mtb with avid juicy 3 brakes. Things of beauty first few rides. Went on a 4 hour ride, brake lever started leaking about 2 hours in , add lots of sweat and sunshine = 1 nasty rash.

Maybe it is just me but I do not see why hydraulics are needed by common folks riding bicycles. Discs yes love them, but very tempted to go BB7s instead of the possibility of leaking fluid again.
It is just like everything with bicycles. The better a componet is the lighter, more powerful, faster it is. A lot of times you pay a price of increased maintenance. The hydraulics are more powerful and much lighter. They are also easier to adjust (I know some people will argue this. If a hydraulic comes in that is rubbing I can have it adjusted in a few seconds. If a mechanical comes in that is rubbing it will take me a few minutes.) I have been running hydraulics since about 1997 and have only had 2 issues. Once was because my frame broke and broke the line with it. The second is recently I started loosing pressure on a ride. At the end of the ride my front brake was almost gone. I just had to bleed the brake and it has been fine since.

I feel mechanicals are like chrome steel stanchion tubes on forks. They are bullet proof, and if you don't care about weight they will provide near the same performance without troubling you for any maintenance.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM   #20818
rmi03
Daily Motorcycle User

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post

Rode Tsali last weekend. It did not suck.

Also rode Bent Creek near Asheville last weekend. No suckage there, either.
You're right! Neither of those places suck! I wish I could get up there more.

The ONLY thing that sucked (for me) my last time at Tsali was all the chigger bites I got in the campground. Those things suck!

Ryan
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #20819
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
I just heard this on the radio. Drunk driver crashed into a pack of cyclists last night. They should charge her with attempted homicide.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bicyclists_struck
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #20820
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I just heard this on the radio. Drunk driver crashed into a pack of cyclists last night. They should charge her with attempted homicide.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_bicyclists_struck
100 cyclists riding at 2am???? Agreed she should be buried under the jail and never sit behind the wheel of a vehicle again!
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: